Subject: Overshadowed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously I expected the Falcon to get get most of the love, the iconic Star wars ship vs a minor blink and you miss it ship. But it seems like the A-wing is getting almost no attention on it's own whereas the other three are getting at least some. Makes me worried that the A-wing is going to be hard to find and that it won't get any reprints or anything. Am I the only one concerned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The A-Wing has not yet been fully revealed, where the Falcon has been completely revealed.

There will be more to talk about once more is known.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more concerned with how the A-Wing will affect gameplay as a group of A-Wings vs. TIEs will take like 4 hours to resolve. 2 attack dice against 3 agility ships with evade will not really be fun. Not sure the A-Wing's place in the Rebel squadron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
The A-Wing has not yet been fully revealed, where the Falcon has been completely revealed.

There will be more to talk about once more is known.

Even the Interceptor and Slave one are getting much more talk it seems though.

Though I concede the point in relation to the Falcon at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Not sure the A-Wing's place in the Rebel squadron.

Concussion Missiles + maneuverability and speed to counter TIE Advanced and Interceptors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
charlest wrote:
Not sure the A-Wing's place in the Rebel squadron.
I'm thinking that the A-Wings will slightly mirror the TIE Fighters in values. Basically being "cheap fillers" compared to somewhat larger ships, with some Unique pilots that will make for some interesting choices. And with "cheap fillers" I don't mean to say that the A-Wing will be a lesser ship at all.

I think that the A-Wing will serve a great role in the Rebel fleet, just as the numeric Tie Fighters is doing for the Galactic Armada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they'll be cheap filler at all. More Fragile than an X-wing certainly but I think they'll be great at flanking and disrupting formations and dulling the maneuverability edge the empire enjoys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure they'll be more maneuverable, but you sacrifice massive firepower for that maneuverability.

The A-Wing may be able to nab a single kill from a missile shot, but afterwards, then what? Has anyone really felt like they wish they had some TIEs on their side when fielding the Rebels? I don't, I wish I had more X-Wings.

Let me put it this way, think of how poor the Y-Wing is offensively without Proton Torpedos or an Ion Cannon. Do you really think something that's equally as ineffective at killing but more maneuverable will really have a position in your fleet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A large part of the Y-Wing's poor kill rate in my mind though is their difficulty "staying on target" a it were, an A-Wing won't have that issue. So one less dice than an X-wing but more opportunities to roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vonpenguin wrote:
A large part of the Y-Wing's poor kill rate in my mind though is their difficulty "staying on target" a it were, an A-Wing won't have that issue. So one less dice than an X-wing but more opportunities to roll.

That definitely could be true. I've only fielded the Y-Wing in about 4 games but in my experience it rarely damaged a TIE when firing, regardless of who it targeted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you consider that most Y-wings will take an ion cannon that means they'll rarely be shooting their main gun with the +1 attack die for range. More likely they'll be useing their main gun for wild pot shots as they try to close to ion range or get target locks to torpedo their target. A-wings will get that nifty +1 and be able to actually use it. And with boost they'll be able to move slower then burst into range one if they think they need it.

Really I think that the rebel ships seem to span a much wider range than the imps and one stat in common is not a good indicator of actual performance. While neither is the heavy hitter the X-wing is one is a heavily armored support ship and the other is a fast little gnat that will whittle at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
vonpenguin wrote:
Really I think that the rebel ships seem to span a much wider range than the imps and one stat in common is not a good indicator of actual performance. While neither is the heavy hitter the X-wing is one is a heavily armored support ship and the other is a fast little gnat that will whittle at them.
My point exactly, and I think it will serve an important part as such a ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My point was I think it'll have more in common with the interceptor than the standard tie. Standard ties are mostly cannon fodder as opposed to dedicated quick strike craft. Not that they aren't the fast or good. But they lack the bells and whistles of every other craft, A-wing included.

I think after wave two the break-up will be something like this:

Backbone fighters: X-wing and Tie Advance

Fast, hit and run strikers: A-wing and Tie interceptor

Fleet centerpiece heavies: Falcon and Slave one

Support: Y-Wing

Swarmers: Standard Tie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answering from a strictly "cool" point of view, without any of the thoughts of actual gameplay in regards to the A-wing's lack of love.

Pretty much everyone wants the Falcon, because it is really hard to find any fan of Star Wars that doesn't love that old hunk of junk, and so it is obviously the most wanted ship in this wave.

Slave 1 wasn't really too important as a ship in the original recipe films, had very little screen time, and never really got into a dog fight. But, Fett was just too damn sexy to ignore. Hell, look at all the additional bits with him added into the Special Edition films to keep people happy. I personally expected a scene of him crawling out of the Sarlac Pit as the gang flies away after rescuing Han. I myself am not going to be buying this first, over even before adding at least one of each of the wave 2 ships myself, but I still want one. And, I'm not a huge Bobba Fett fan. Still, this ship has enough of a fan following, that it is hard to argue against it being the second most wanted ship in this wave.

TIE interceptors only appear in the Ewok film, don't totally replace TIEs in the big battle scene itself, but these suckers just look so dang cool. Come on man, they blow all other TIEs out of space in just a dead sexy looking way. I mean, I know I can't be alone in thinking these things just looked awesome the first time I saw them on screen. They just look lethal. And so, I can see them being up there on everyone's wish list. Heck, how many wave 2 list do you see that say "maybe I'll get one eventually"? My personal plans, are to save money for the Falcon, and then start adding these guys as often as I can. And, maybe that's just my opinion on these guys, but I really think these guys are almost on a par with Slave 1 from a hotness scale. I'll give the nod to Fett, but these guys aren't far behind.

And that leaves the humble A-wing. This is totally just my opinion here, but I just never really cared all that much for this ship. Heck, it falls after the Falcon and the X and Y and B-wings for my love. I'll get a couple, just to get them, mostly for bigger games, but I would rather spend time trying to get my Y-wings into a game than these. So, it'll be more of a completism thing, than an actual desire thing for me on these guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have stated, the A-wing isn't getting much attention because it has no great advantage.

The Tie-Int is a big upgrade to the standard Tie and very cool looking. The Falcon and Slave 1 are huge, powerful centerpoints to build an fleet around and are very iconic ships. The A-wing isn't all that iconic or interesting to look at. It's one of the more generic looking space craft of star wars. But as far as the game goes, it's a faster, weaker, more fragile version of the X-wing. The boost capability could be interesting, but it's more or less a more expensive tie fighter. It's going to be hard to take out ties with it due to the weak attack. It's also not likely to be a huge cost savings over the X-wings, so it's not like you'll be able to swarm them.

The only saving grace would be some really cool pilot abilities on the unique pilots that make it worth taking them into battle. It may also see a little use as a space filler. Slightly cheaper than the Xwing while more dependable than the Y-wing. Trying to make that 4 ship Rebel build? A base A-wing will be cheaper than a base X-wing allowing you more upgrade points on the other ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
Tha A wing has a very average stat line. It is probably my favourite rebel ship from the computer game, as I always preffered flying a faster more nimble fighter. But the squint just has such an awesome statline and list of abilities it will be by far the best fighter in the game. Im thinkin same points as an x wing with more defense dice and more tie wingmen?

My plan is to get 1 of each wave 2 ship, then add probably another a wing and falcon (to be repainted brown like the one in edge of empire pictures) and im thinking of a total of 4 or 5 squints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really hopeful that the A-wings get the addition of Target Lock. My hope is that Target Lock plus missile plus focus is going to make them the equal of the Interceptor, and allow for some increased offense in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The A Wing was my favourite fighter in Star Warriors. I for obe am looking forwards to it being out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
LazyJ wrote:
I am really hopeful that the A-wings get the addition of Target Lock. My hope is that Target Lock plus missile plus focus is going to make them the equal of the Interceptor, and allow for some increased offense in general.

A-Wings can both Target Lock and be armed with missiles.

This is it's main selling point as it will likely be the cheapest, overall and certainly compared to the Falcon for in-faction, ship to take the missile upgrades. We've seen one new missile upgrade and it is our first AOE effect. Given, this board in particular, peoples worry over large TiE swarms an AOE effect on a very nimble ship is certainly something at least worth trying and taking. With the threat of an Assault Missile all of a sudden those swarms need to think about how close they want to fly. Howlrunner, Swarm Tactics, and Biggs now aren't complete no brainers. Tycho's ability is something nice, especially if we get upgrades that trade a benefit for a stress token.

That's where I think A-Wings fit in. They likely can't be more then a 1 or 2 of in a squadron, but that's fine. Same as Y-Wings which people like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Boost alone seems to make the A-Wing a must have. Being able to do an additional 1 straight ahead or bank left or right move after everyone else has moved (and bear in mind this 1 ahead move includes the ship base size, so it's actually closer to a 2 ahead) is incredibly powerful.

Being able to tweak your ship left or right will really help with keeping targets in your sights for multiple attacking turns, and if you get in trouble you can move 5 + base + 1 away from any attackers. I love my Imperials, but on the rebel side these excite me a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about using the A-wing to strip evades from the TIEs.. then mop up with the rookie x-wings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delinear wrote:
Boost alone seems to make the A-Wing a must have. Being able to do an additional 1 straight ahead or bank left or right move after everyone else has moved (and bear in mind this 1 ahead move includes the ship base size, so it's actually closer to a 2 ahead) is incredibly powerful.

Being able to tweak your ship left or right will really help with keeping targets in your sights for multiple attacking turns, and if you get in trouble you can move 5 + base + 1 away from any attackers. I love my Imperials, but on the rebel side these excite me a lot.

The boost is an action and is declared as an action after the A-wing performs its own maneuver, just like a TIE and its evade/barrel roll action, and not "after everyone else has moved". Meaning an A-wing with a 2 skill pilot would reveal his maneuver dial and move, and then decide on his action (target lock/boost/focus). Then, a TIE at skill 3+ would reveal his dial and move, and then perform his action (roll/eveade/focus). The Boost action doesn't happen after everyone has already moved. It's like barrel roll or evade to me, an action that is more powerful in the hands of an experienced pilot who can react to the actions of lesser skilled pilots, but not a game breaker in itself. It is nice, and I look forward to doing it with my TIE/int and the modified Falcon and the A-wing that can sneak into my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI, I've ordered 2 A-wings and 2 interceptors. I think you guys need to view these ships not by themselves, but in context with everything else revealed already. The Shield Modification is going to be deadly with this thing, and Tycho's ability to preform actions even while stressed is going to make the A-wing the knight of the rebels side. It can get anywhere, anytime. It can hold missiles. You can probably run 5 of them, all with missiles (assuming formula posted on BGG is correct). My problem with the rebels has always been that they're slow, and now we've got a fix to that. Imperials now have a glass cannon to sink their points into. QED.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rev. Tony Melton
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep seeing these post about the A-wing being the Rebel equivalent of the TIE - a cheap swarm fighter. I really hope this isn't the case. They have tried to stay true to the source material so far, and in universe, the A-wing was a top end, high priced fighter. It much more akin to the TIE Interceptor than the basic TIE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Nuñez Jimenez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the A wing is not the best offensive ship but anyway I think it doesnt worth the cost of 19 points for a ship with 2 attack value.
If you compare with xwing, it has 2 points less (1 hull and 1 attack) I think from 21 points of an xwing to a 19 point of an A wing... well, it sounds riciculous to me, I think 1 hull and 1 one atttack cost much more than two points of difference.
An A-wing probably should cost around 16 points since I preffer probably to deploy an Xwing just for 2 more points.

If you see the unique pilots... well I wont pay 24-26 points for such a ship... 2 in attack MAN! Empire has ships with 2 in attack just for 12... and only 1 life point less (2 hull + 2 shields compared to 3 hull).
It doesnt make any sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.