Popular Tags: [View All]
sub unit
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks!
I'm looking for games that my wife will enjoy. I'm mostly a wargamer myself, and although she enjoys some of them, she finds the direct conflict between players somewhat stressful. I have a couple of euros that she really likes, particularly Agricola and Vinhos. I picked up Le Havre a while back and she enjoyed that somewhat as well (although a little bit less than either Agricola or Vinhos). She says she likes having her own farm/vinyard/whatever thing she's working on or building up, so that although the players' actions affect and influence one another, they can't directly harm or destroy one another's little empires. I think she doesn't like Le Havre quite as much because there's less of a sense of "this is my stuff" with the buildings anyone can enter.

So, that's a pretty broad description, but I'm at a loss looking for games that are similar. Anyone have any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a geeklist that may be of interest:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/134568/true-multiplayer-so...
It takes things a bit far, because your wife thinks some interaction between players is OK.

One game that comes to mind for me when I think of limited interaction is Notre Dame. You have some interaction because of the card drafting and use of the little cars. But it's mostly doing stuff in your own area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically any of the classic Euros:

Puerto Rico
The Princes of Florence
Goa
Navegador
Hansa Teutonica
7 Wonders
Dominion

And some newer ones (both by Feld, coincidentally):

Trajan
The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Puerto Rico
The Princes of Florence
Goa
Navegador
Hansa Teutonica
7 Wonders
Dominion

Trajan
The Castles of Burgundy

Hansa Teutonica has a healthy dose of confrontation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Terra Prime

Alhambra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
thedacker wrote:

One could see it that way. I don't. I find that the way the game immediately rewards the attackee balances it quite a bit. It becomes more of a new kind of strategic play, rather than confrontation, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
Puerto Rico is out I wonder why Race for the Galaxy hasn't been mentioned. It's the classic multiplayer solitaire game. It plays quick too. The only thing to get over is the curve when it comes to the iconography but once that is settled it's a fantastic game.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sub unit
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

To clarify, I don't think it's confrontation that's the issue so much as the actual destruction of each other's units/stuff/whatever, so I'm not necessarily looking for "multiplayer solitaire" per se. She likes games with a theme of building or developing something. I was thinking some of the more economic-oriented type games might be good as well, but I don't know that genre well at all. In any case, thanks very much for the recommendations, everyone, I appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing says "I love you" like a new dice bag
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your wife's tastes are very much like my own.

+1 to Castles of Burgundy
Walnut Grove
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane doe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about Space Cadets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Honestly, it's hard to beat Agricola. Lucky man who's wife will play that and Vinhos with him!

I'll add Homesteaders and Troyes as two excellent Euros with minimal confrontation (you can buy someone's dice in Troyes, but they get paid for the favor!).

thedacker also gave some great suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Puerto Rico
The Princes of Florence
Goa
Navegador
Hansa Teutonica
7 Wonders
Dominion

Trajan
The Castles of Burgundy

This sounds good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin (Hairy) Hatfield
United Kingdom
Little Kingshill
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maori is a bit lighter than some of the others listed here, but has some nice interaction, scales well 2-5 (2 is excellently tactical, 5 is a bit more chaotic but fun). The game has 2-3 advanced variations in the main rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Kingsburg
Endeavor
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
Merchants & Marauders
Hawaii
Macao
Notre Dame
Glen More
Wealth of Nations
Belfort

Even though some of these have a bit of conflict amongst players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deviated in his zealotry? Surely not
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Anyone who thinks PR is multiplayer solitaire will lose so badly.

Also, since someone might mention Brass, I must also add that anyone who thinks Brass is multiplayer solitaire will lose so badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
subunit wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

To clarify, I don't think it's confrontation that's the issue so much as the actual destruction of each other's units/stuff/whatever, so I'm not necessarily looking for "multiplayer solitaire" per se. She likes games with a theme of building or developing something. I was thinking some of the more economic-oriented type games might be good as well, but I don't know that genre well at all. In any case, thanks very much for the recommendations, everyone, I appreciate it!

Since you said "economic", I must add Brass. It's a bit heavier than the rest here, but it's worth the effort. Plus, I suspect she could enjoy building up her industry empire. It has an interesting element of needing your opponents to win. Some people call it coopetition, I like to call it symbiotic competition. Whatever you call it, it's uniqe and a whole lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has exactly the same preferences, so much so in fact that I wish I had been able to copy your description when I did my own round of requests a while back. I'll share some of our favorite games to play together, and hopefully you'll find something good in there (pardon any obvious overlap).

Eminent Domain
Agricola
Dominion
Roma
Hive
Attika

She is also slowly coming around to Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game, but I recommend disabling the Military Victory win condition until she has decided she enjoys the game. It fits the bill nicely when there are no armies crashing into each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Belfort
+1 The Castles of Burgundy

Also Dungeon Lords and/or Dungeon Petz

How could I forget Galaxy Trucker??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Cootie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
thedacker wrote:

Anyone who thinks PR is multiplayer solitaire will lose so badly.

Also, since someone might mention Brass, I must also add that anyone who thinks Brass is multiplayer solitaire will lose so badly.

We play 2p Brass on the full board and we don't overbuild, so it's a pretty friendly atmosphere. It certainly doesn't have to be. We play Roads & Boats in a similar way.

Responding to the Troyes idea, I found Troyes too confrontational and a bit too abstract. Sold it immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
How could I forget Galaxy Trucker??

Love me some Galaxy Trucker! It's qwirky and different but a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sub unit
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

After looking at reviews for a bunch of the suggestions in this thread, this one stuck out to her. It looks mechanically different enough from games we have to be worth picking up, and, for me, I like that it's got a shorter play time than something like Agricola (which I've been a bit burnt out on in part due to length). I think I'll have to bookmark this thread for later, as there are some other great suggestions in here as well. Thanks very much, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Walnut Grove looked like a good one but I ultimately passed it over due to folks saying it lacks depth for longevity to be an interesting endeavor.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it's also expensive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played it 26 times, almost all 2p, and I'd play it any time. The variation in the setup, without being painful to setup, gives it replayability for us. We found it well worth the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well then, a vote in the other direction. I hope you enjoy it, sub unit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.