Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've watched a couple of the vids on here and think I have a basic idea of how the game works. It looks fun, and if I didn't already own Thunderstone, Dominion (plus 6 expansions), Nightfall, Star Trek the Deckbuilding Game, Core Worlds, Emminent Domain, Puzzle Strike, Quarriors, and Rune Age, it would be an auto-purchase... but I think you are begining to see my rub. I'm up to my ears in deckbuilding games, or games with a heavy deck-building mechanic. That's fine, I LOVE the mechanic (obviously), but at some point I need something new to be introduced to justify yet another purchase. I passed up on Ascension and (most recently) 3012 because I just could justify an additional deckbuilding purchase that didn't really seem to bring anything new to the table. And unfortunately, I don't see anything new here either. You have 2 currencies. One attacks villains, and the other 'buys' new heroes, or improved heroes. How is this different than Star Trek? Ascension? Rune Age? Thunderstone? How is this not Sentinels of the Multiverse with a deckbuilding "bone" thrown in?

Help me out. Theme and "hotness" alone have me on the verge of purchasing this game. But I'm afraid that after a few plays post-purchase regret may set in with the knowledge that I already owned this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"We have a Hulk."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But... it comes with a ridiculously big box and a useless game board!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Save your gaming $$'s for more Star Wars XWing minis (or any expansions for the other deck building games you already have and enjoy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one I can see owning as I've been having a blast with late night, solo games of Thunderstone Advance lately and Legendary seems to share almost the same solo mechanic. I'm an old comic book fan that no longer really partakes of the hobby, but Legendary just tickles my fancy because of that.

Nightfall, on the other hand, I rarely bring out anymore. And yet I buy every darn expansion for it that comes out. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
This one I can see owning as I've been having a blast with late night, solo games of Thunderstone Advance lately and Legendary seems to share almost the same solo mechanic. I'm an old comic book fan that no longer really partakes of the hobby, but Legendary just tickles my fancy because of that.

Nightfall, on the other hand, I rarely bring out anymore. And yet I buy every darn expansion for it that comes out. shake

Yeah, I was thinking along these lines as well. Thunderstone Advance is great solo! Though, I'm opposite you reguarding Nitefall. I still really like that game and it's one of my 'go to' DBGs, but haven't been able to keep up with the aggressive output of expansions. I think I own one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends greatly on how you value theme and atmosphere. In those regards, it's a very unique DBG, and still fairly rare in the card game sphere in general.

But if you're looking for new, unique mechanics, I'm not sure the game has enough to warrant another pricy game with a huge box. It does have a couple interesting takes on established ideas, but it's not exactly groundbreaking. One of its only unique features is that it can be played more cooperatively, instead of competitively. There aren't many DBGs that have any co-op play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
to the OP, i would think it warrants consideration because it's designed from the ground up for co-op...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet the victory conditions and loss are different each time you play.
So, you will start to think many differents strategies.

The problem on this game is the setup that may be long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Robert
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

"We have a Hulk."

"We have Emma Frost"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maduar wrote:
JYoder wrote:

"We have a Hulk."

"We have Emma Frost"

What's that a quote from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother J
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Maduar wrote:
JYoder wrote:

"We have a Hulk."

"We have Emma Frost"

Have you seen Emma Frost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
So, I've watched a couple of the vids on here and think I have a basic idea of how the game works. It looks fun, and if I didn't already own Thunderstone, Dominion (plus 6 expansions), Nightfall, Star Trek the Deckbuilding Game, Core Worlds, Emminent Domain, Puzzle Strike, Quarriors, and Rune Age, it would be an auto-purchase... but I think you are begining to see my rub. I'm up to my ears in deckbuilding games, or games with a heavy deck-building mechanic. That's fine, I LOVE the mechanic (obviously), but at some point I need something new to be introduced to justify yet another purchase. I passed up on Ascension and (most recently) 3012 because I just could justify an additional deckbuilding purchase that didn't really seem to bring anything new to the table. And unfortunately, I don't see anything new here either. You have 2 currencies. One attacks villains, and the other 'buys' new heroes, or improved heroes. How is this different than Star Trek? Ascension? Rune Age? Thunderstone? How is this not Sentinels of the Multiverse with a deckbuilding "bone" thrown in?

Help me out. Theme and "hotness" alone have me on the verge of purchasing this game. But I'm afraid that after a few plays post-purchase regret may set in with the knowledge that I already owned this game.

So you listed all the games above, because all of them brought something new to the table? If you've already bought all these games above, why would buying another game with similar elements but that isn't a direct copy of any of the above be different than what you've already done in buying all the games you've bought already? Or is it because you're at a tipping point where the game has to be completely and radically different than the above?

I've already ordered it and will hopefully play it this weekend: I have all the games above, but I like this theme and I think there's enough variance that I won't find it to be an unfortunate purchase. Plus, the designer has plenty of experience with making games that are solid and smart.

Either way, enjoy it if you can handle one more. Otherwise, maybe http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/114031/copycat will be something more dramatic that you'd find interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game has a lot going for it. Theme aside it seems much more interesting than Ascension and Thunderstone from a game mechanics perspective plus it has coop tension thrown in.

With the theme it's a winner, I could easily get rid of Thunderstone which is now dry and lacking for something like this game.

Ascension I have on the iPad ... So COME ON RELEASE IT IN THE UK DAMN YOU!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Y. Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
brotherj wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:
Maduar wrote:
JYoder wrote:

"We have a Hulk."

"We have Emma Frost"

I don't see what that does for encouraging the purchase of the game unless every single card has a super hot picture of Emma Frost
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jylee wrote:
brotherj wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:
Maduar wrote:
JYoder wrote:

"We have a Hulk."

"We have Emma Frost"

I don't see what that does for encouraging the purchase of the game unless every single card has a super hot picture of Emma Frost

Well, 14 of them do, and another 14 of Storm and 14 of Black Widow and 14 of Rogue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for a UK release
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hill
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gamecat_uk wrote:
I think this game has a lot going for it. Theme aside it seems much more interesting than Ascension and Thunderstone from a game mechanics perspective plus it has coop tension thrown in.

With the theme it's a winner, I could easily get rid of Thunderstone which is now dry and lacking for something like this game.

Ascension I have on the iPad ... So COME ON RELEASE IT IN THE UK DAMN YOU!

+1 for UK release!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mrvectrex wrote:
+1 for UK release!

Or anywhere in Europe for that matter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Canales wrote:
mrvectrex wrote:
+1 for UK release!

Or anywhere in Europe for that matter!

As long as they arn't English versions, I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, update time... I played this with a buddy tonight, and he's notorious for being pretty tough on games. I thought for sure this game was a likely bomb. But we both enjoyed it a great deal. Yeah, it's a bit abstract, but you DO feel like you are attacking villains and whatnot. The theme holds up pretty well despite a pretty thick layer of abstraction. He's even talking about purchasing a set for himself.

This is a fun game and definitely has a place in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.