Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did a quick search, but I couldn't find it, sorry if there are a bunch of threads on this topic already, but...

What does orthogonally adjacent mean?

Thanks for any help, this will clear up a few confusions we have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Turner
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adjacent in one of the four cardinal directions. Not diagonal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orthogonal means right next to in either direction, but not diagonally.

For example, on a chess board, the black squares are orthogonally adjacent to the white squares, but not to the other black squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...or... horizontally and vertically adjacent, but not diagonally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I build on the left of the board, do I have to build in the tiles right next to it (adjacent), or can they be on the right side of the board?

I ask because of pictures like this:

In this picture neither the fields or pastures are right next door to the stone house. Also the person playing at the bottom, looks like they built some fenced pastures diagonally from their house...

I guess it's "adjacent" I am confused with, if you take the definition: Next to or adjoining something else.

However it doesn't look like people build right next to their house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
I ask because of pictures like this:

In this picture neither the fields or pastures are right next door to the stone house. Also the person playing at the bottom, looks like they built some fenced pastures diagonally from their house...

I guess it's "adjacent" I am confused with, if you take the definition: Next to or adjoining something else.

However it doesn't look like people build right next to their house.
You're misunderstanding the rules here.

All the rooms in your house must be orthogonally adjacent to each other.
All your plowed fields must be orthogonally adjacent to each other. But they do not have to be orthogonally adjacent to your house.
Similarly, all your pastures must be orthogonally adjacent to each other. But they do not have to be orthogonally adjacent to your house.

Hope this helps clear things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohhhhh!!! I see, we always read it as, plowed fields and pastures must be orthogonally adjacent to your rooms in the house!

That clears it up a ton, and makes way more sense.

Thank you very much for answering my apparently dumb question heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The blue player has a field that is "orthogonally adjacent" to a pasture. It also has stables that are "orthogonally adjacent" to each other and to the pasture. The above example of the chess board is the best example.

How about this: "The 'Reed Accumulation Space" is orthogonally adjacent to the 'Occupation' space, 'Fishing' space, and 'Clay' space. But it is NOT orthogonally adjacent to 'Day laborer' or 'Plow 1 Field'" Those 2 space are diagonal to the reed space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
The pastures do not need to be next to the house, only orthoganally next to each other. The same is true for fields or house rooms; each item needs to be orthoganally next to other items of the same type, but different types of items can be grouped away from other item types.

But to answer your question directly: No, the board does not wrap. Items on the left edge of the board are not considered adjacent to items on the right edge of the board.

[Edit: Triple ninja'd]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the quick responses!

Here's another little question, hopefully it makes sense.

With this orthogonally adjacent rule, can you make, 2 clumpings of things? For instance 2 clumps of plowed fields, that are separated by fenced pastures?

I ask this, just incase you make a bad design and get stuck with a plowed field, surrounded by fenced pastures.

For instance, again in this pic:

Blue player has a plowed field trapped, can he make more right beside the house?

Hope that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
With this orthogonally adjacent rule, can you make, 2 clumpings of things? For instance 2 clumps of plowed fields, that are separated by fenced pastures?
No. All of your plowed fields must be orthogonally adjacent to each other (i.e., they must be in one "clump").

If you make a bad design and get stuck, nobody forced your farm to be that way but you. Realize you're probably not going to win that game, take it as a learning experience, and spend the game figuring out how to make the best of a bad lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's perfect, thanks very much for the great answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
That's perfect, thanks very much for the great answers!
You're welcome. If you get any arguments about the "two clumps" thing, think about it this way: You plow fields one at a time. (Even if you plow more than one with one action, they still get plowed one at a time.) So you can't play the field that would start the second "clump" because, at the moment it is played, it's not orthogonally adjacent to any other fields on your board (and it's not your first field, which, obviously, can't be adjacent to something that's not there yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
There are some cards (limited to expansion decks, I think) that will allow you to remove fields once they've been plowed, which in turn can result in you having two sets of fields that don't connect. This is perfectly legal though rarely useful; all that matters is that when you plow a field, it must be adjacent to a field you have previously plowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derakon wrote:
There are some cards (limited to expansion decks, I think) that will allow you to remove fields once they've been plowed, which in turn can result in you having two sets of fields that don't connect. This is perfectly legal though rarely useful; all that matters is that when you plow a field, it must be adjacent to a field you have previously plowed.

There is almost always a card that is an exception to a rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zark wrote:
Derakon wrote:

There is almost always a card that is an exception to a rule

Unless you play the card that means no one can use any exceptions to the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
bjwells wrote:
Unless you play the card that means no one can use any exceptions to the rules.

So when you play that card, all cards in play are discarded...including itself?

Sounds like something out of Fluxx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.