Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Linsey
United States
Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unless I'm missing something, the following is missing from the rules in the new version of the game. Under Gas Stations, I believe it should say that a player may not sell gas that was refined this turn. This is analogous to not being able to refine crude oil that was pumped this turn, and not being able to collect (pump) crude oil from a well that was built this turn.

These restrictions would follow logically if the rules would say that the Production Actions have to be done in the following order:

1. Sell gas.
2. Refine crude oil into gas.
3. Pump crude oil.
4. Convert drilling rigs into oil wells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruce Linsey wrote:
Unless I'm missing something, the following is missing from the rules in the new version of the game. Under Gas Stations, I believe it should say that a player may not sell gas that was refined this turn. This is analogous to not being able to refine crude oil that was pumped this turn, and not being able to collect (pump) crude oil from a well that was built this turn.

These restrictions would follow logically if the rules would say that the Production Actions have to be done in the following order:

1. Sell gas.
3. Pump crude oil.
do you mean in reverse order? (4-3-2-1 using your post)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Linsey
United States
Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, I meant in the order listed, which would prevent a player from doing any of the prohibited acts mentioned above. For example, if you have to sell gas first, then you won't be trying to sell gas that you just refined this turn, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i have the rules, but not the game (yet)...if you're correct in that "a player may not sell gas that was refined this turn" should have been in the rules, at the end of the "gas station section" (which makes sense, strictly from reading the other text, BUT again...i have not played yet), then i think simply stating that would cover the issue...i would not add your 4 bullets to the rule book; makes a simple statement more complex than needed (and it would match the "ending text" of the other paragraphs)...just my thoughts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading that you can't sell gas made this turn. I don't have the instructions on me so I can't say where it is.

Edit: I also think your bullet point 4 could just be scooped up in to the buy/sell phase since the other players aren't going to impact that after the neighbor phase. My players are so excited to hit oil that it's the first thing they do after the roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that the Refinery section specifically prohibits refining oil that was produced in the same turn, while the gas stations section does not prohibit selling gas refined that turn, I assumed it was fine to refine gas then sell it in the same turn (when getting a hit to both a refinery and a gas station).

I haven't played any of the older versions of the game, but if what you say is correct, and there should be a rule stating that you can't sell gas refined in the same turn, then that's definitely an oversight in the rulebook, because it doesn't state that fact. My strategy so far has been included ensuring that any gas stations I build are in the same line as a refinery, to make it more likely that I'll have gas to sell if I get a hit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruce Linsey wrote:

1. Sell gas.
3. Pump crude oil.

You're correct according to the posted rules for McMulti. I think I'd like a clarification, though, from Stronghold, that this omission was not intentional, since the original designer of the game was involved in the reprint process, before his demise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Linsey
United States
Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will email Stephen Buonocore now and bring this question and thread to his attention. I expect we'll have an answer soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that you cannot sell gas which was refined on the same turn.

The sentence with this information appears to have been clipped accidentally during initial rules/graphics layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. You cannot sell gas that was just refined on that turn. Sorry for the rules omission.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Grocott
msg tools
mb
So if I understand this correctly, if you work "up" the II/III part of the Phase Summary part of the board during "ASSETS PRODUCE" and "THE NEIGHBOR PHASE", then things will be done correctly, i.e. it will prevent accidental selling/use of barrels received on that round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Linsey
United States
Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mike, exactly. As per my original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Grocott
msg tools
mb
Great - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for getting this question answered here. This is a pretty major rules omission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.