Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, more generally, games I can
a) play solo
b) have resource management
c) have random events

The random events part is the one eluding me the most.

I have a few resource management games, like Stone Age, Puerto Rico and Cuba, which have some randomness, but not nearly enough to make the solo game captivating beyond a play or two (for me, at least). Agricola just won't cut it either. I have Pandemic, which is interesting solo, but not enough resource management.

I prefer there being a serious threat of complete failure, as opposed to trying to maximize points.

Games that have scratched this itch:
Friday (great, but a little light, with no resources)
Space Alert (awesome, but i want something not timed occasionally. And with resources)
Through the Ages - barbarian solo variant (solid, but too long sometimes)

While I eagerly await the release of Robinson Crusoe in my area, what other games fit my description?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
Mage Knight

+1 Mage Knight Board Game

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, I forgot to mention I have Mage Knight. That is pretty solid. So now I want something that feels a little more like a resource collection/management/conversion euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say Mage Knight... but also Arkham Horror. Plays great solo (control 3-4 characters), has some risk/resource management, and definitely the random events. A fantastic solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DsnowMan wrote:
Or, more generally, games I can
a) play solo
c) have random events

The random events part is the one eluding me the most.

I have a few resource management games, like Stone Age, Puerto Rico and Cuba, which have some randomness, but not nearly enough to make the solo game captivating beyond a play or two (for me, at least). Agricola just won't cut it either. I have Pandemic, which is interesting solo, but not enough resource management.

I prefer there being a serious threat of complete failure, as opposed to trying to maximize points.

Games that have scratched this itch:
Friday (great, but a little light, with no resources)
Space Alert (awesome, but i want something not timed occasionally. And with resources)
Through the Ages - barbarian solo variant (solid, but too long sometimes)

While I eagerly await the release of Robinson Crusoe in my area, what other games fit my description?

This is my problem, too. I can't think of any other games like Robinson Crusoe. And not just the mechanics, I love the island survival theme and I've been waiting for someone to exploit it (I thought the success of the Lost TV show might have spawned some castaway games).

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you (no pun intended) and I don't think any of the games suggested in this thread come close to the experience that I percieve being offered by Robinson Crusoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup 6 scenarios and more to come go for Robinson itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanished Planet
Atlantis Rising

Randomness through dice rather than events:
D-Day Dice
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game - Not much resource management, but a really good solo experience with plenty of randomness and risk of failure.

Defenders of the Realm - Play two heroes. Works great, and is very tense.

Agents of SMERSH - Extremely thematic, lots of random events. Again, not much resource management.

Good luck finding something that meets your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day at Omaha Beach is a great game. Not sure if it has the management resource per se that you are looking for but you definitely will have a tough time beating this game. In my opinion it is one of the best solo games out there.

Good luck,

Bryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion:

+1 Arkham Horror - Great experience game.

+1 D-Day Dice - The random events in this context is the luck of the dice and how you use the dice but it's a fun solo game.

Gears of War - I really enjoy this one solo. It scales fantastically and you can play just a single character. The random events aspect is that you play against the game with an AI deck that is tuned for the scenario you are playing. On the resource management side, it has a nice mechanic of cards also being your life source so you have to be careful with your card usage.

I haven't played Agents of SMERSH yet, but it looks like it may fit this as well. It has the Tales of Arabian Nights story aspect, but with more of a game and strategy point of playing. Not to knock Tales as it's a great time but it's almost entirely random which is fantastic with a group of friends, but not so much solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Archipelago yet but have an interest in it for similar reasons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DsnowMan wrote:
a) play solo
c) have random events

Have you tried Lord of the Rings: The Card Game?

It's not exactly a euro, but it does fit all of the above criteria.

Another one to look into: Ghost Stories.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
DsnowMan wrote:
a) play solo
c) have random events

Have you tried Lord of the Rings: The Card Game?

It's not exactly a euro, but it does fit all of the above criteria.

Another one to look into: Ghost Stories.

Bye
Thanee

Ooh, how could I have forgotten Ghost Stories? Perfect fit for his needs. Some resource management, definitely random events in how the ghosts come out, and an almost certainty of failure. Great suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
The greatest political storm flutters only a fringe of humanity. But an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children literally alter the destiny of nations. - GK Chesterton
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an old one... though I've never played it, I think it fits all that you were looking for. It just may be hard to aquire:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1577/source-of-the-nile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the tips, I'll be sure to check some of them out. For now, I am messing around with the remake of Merchant of Venus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John LaRuffa
United States
Hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us!
mbmbmbmbmb
No random events, but you won't find a better resource management game than Ora et Labora. The solo is good and takes a long time to master. Just my opinion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.