Subject: Rummikub home expansion with 5-6 colors for up to 7 players. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott V
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Rummikub home expansion with 5-6 colors for up to 7 players.

As in the base game, a color includes 2 each of tiles 1 thru 13. A 3rd wild with 5 colors, or a 4th & 5th wild with a 6th color in play also seems to work out best.
The rules are the same except that if at the start of the game a player has filled their rack with 24 tiles, then they may play their next turn as though they have already played the opening meld of 30. (which alleviates gridlock)

With 6 colors, you may want to try wrapping runs from 13 back to 1 to help balance the play of the game. (i.e. 12,13,1 as a meld) This helps maintain the importance of rearranging tiles for the strategy portion of the game, and balances the amount of runs and groups on the table.

With 5 colors, we could use runs of 3 and groups of 4 which balanced well, but people had set their minds ahead of time to be confused as to which was 3 and which was 4. With 6 colors however, 3 and 3 worked better because helped solve the problem with dilution of tiles needed for melds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Agnew
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
How did this play? I feel that down time can already be a little unbearable in this game with 4 players, unless the 2-minute rule is being strictly enforced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott V
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Ah yes, good question. The down time is longer for each added player in the game just because their are more players, but also because the planning can get a bit trickier. With 6 colors there have been fewer oportunities availble for extensive rearranging. The reduction in possible plays does save time, so it is not much slower. For some people, the rearranging is what draws them to the game in the first place.

We often fill down time with getting snacks, conversation, or of course comedic taunts. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you color in your tiles or did you just find a different Rummikub set that had different colors

If you did color them in, what did you use? Nail polish? They look very professional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott V
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thank you.

I colored them with craft paints. The trick was to mix about 1 part paint to 2 parts water, then fill in the number well to the top. This way it is self-leveling, and the new paint etches into the original paint as it dries. The paint should really set about a week to be strong. I should have done a better job finding tiles that more closely match my base game tiles.

I started out with gloss paint which when mixed with the water happens to dry with a finish that matches the tone of the original pieces.

The lavender enamel very closely matches the purple trains from Ticket To Ride. purpletrain My totally color-blind friend cannot distinguish this from the blue numbers however.
The pink acrylic appears to me to be the most distinct from the reds, oranges & yellows in many games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.