BattleCON: War of Indines» Forums » Variants

Subject: Sires Gridson, Master of Applied Magitech rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan L
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just an idea that I thought of yesterday, that I had to flesh out. Strangely enough I thought of the character and styles before the UA, which is unusual for me.

Sires Gridson
Master of Applied Magitech

Sires was never a strong fighter, and prefered to work on his machines. This all changed durring a lab aciddent where the power system went wild, electricuting poor Sires. This accident was a strange boon though, as he found that he had a natural affinity for electrical magic, and found that he could now power his machines simply by touching them. Unfortinatly, he also found that he electricuted everything he touched, so in a bout of desperation he created an armor that could protect himself from himself and others from him. After hearing about a school of magic the next country over, he desided to try and find some one to help him control his new powers, leading him on a dangerous pilgrimige.

UA: Stored Energy
Sires begins a duel with a shock token, he may not have more than one shock token at a time.

Whenever an opponent ends a movement adjacent to Sires, if they were not already adjacent, he may spend a shock token to stun them. In addition, Sires can also spend his token to gain additional effects with his styles.

Whenever no player was stuned durring a beat, regain your shock token.

Styles:

Grounded:
Range +0~1
Power +1
Priority -2
Stun Gaurd 3
You may chose to ignore movement effects that would be applyed to you this beat.

Frayed:
Range +0
Power -2
Priority +3
This attack ignores Soak
On Hit: You may spend a shock token to stun the opponent.

Live: (1)
Range +0
Power +1
Priority +1
Before Activating: Advance 1 space. You may spend a shock token to advance untill you are adjacent to the nerest opponent.

Insulated: (2)
Range +0
Power -1
Priority +1
Stun Gaurd 2
Before Activating:
If you were not hit this beat, ignore stun gaurd. If you were hit this beat, this attack has +2 power and +0~1 range.

Electrical:
Range +0~1
Power +2
Priority +0
Before Activating: You may spend a shock token to gain +0~2 range.

Unique Base Wiring:
Range 1
Piwer 2
Priority 4
After Activating: All stuned opponents lose 2 life.
End of Beat: Gain a shock token.

Finnisher Short Circuit
Range 1
Power 5
Priority 3
Stun Gaurd 6
Before Activating: Advance 1 or 2 spaces.
After Activating: You may spend a shock token to activate again.

I couldn't really think of a good UA for him at first, all of my ideas being too complicated or requireing me to rethink the whole concept. That lead me to think about some of the simpler UAs already avalible, and Cadenza came to mind, which is rather obvious when looking at Sires now. Long story shot, I feel like this could be one of my better creations, I even thought up a decent name this time around!
Edit: on closer inspection (and some peer evaluation) Sires is now closer to Regiside Hektech than Cadenza.

On a scale of "Shockingly bad" to "Positivly Electirfying", how did I do? (I will only accept electricity puns for scale)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. He doesn't yet have that spark that I look for.

I feel like the UA needs to be cranked up a bit. Right now, Sires can stun his opponent three times per game. Which would be better if he could actually HIT his opponent when he does so.

His speed is above average (-2, 0, +1, +1, +2), but his power is pretty low (-2, -1, -1, 0, +1), so he can't actually hit that hard when he stuns his opponent.

Now, he does have some life loss abilities to make up for this. Anteing into Electrical Wiring gives him:

Range: 2-4
Power: 2
Priority: 4
On Hit: Opponent is stunned.
AA: Opponent loses 4 life.

That's faster than Burst or Shot and can hit your opponent for 6 damage. Not too shabby, if he manages to pull it off thrice.

The problem with that move is that Sires' ideal range is 1-2. If you ever back away from your opponent, he or she will totally see it coming and just Dash, Pulse, or Drive you.

I do think Insulated is interesting, especially if combined with Strike or Shot.

I think my recommendation would be to make the Shock tokens a bit more useful. As they are now, they will only really be used to add the On Hit stun when you can be reasonably certain that you will hit your opponent. The ability to stun an opponent who moves adjacent to you isn't very good if you cannot attack after doing so, ESPECIALLY if you can only do it three times per game--you can't even use it as a delay tactic to run out the clock!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some potential there, but he doesn't really stand out as being a particularly distinctive character. I like the idea you have with his UA, but I don't think you've done it quite right. Perhaps something like this:

UA: Sires Gridson begins play with 1 Shock token. Whenever an opponent moves next to Sires Gridson, you may spend 1 Shock token to Stun that opponent.
End of Beat: If Sires Gridson neither dealt nor received Damage this beat, gain 1 Shock token.

Add in a couple of Styles that allow you to gain and/or spend Shock tokens for added effect (IE, Frayed could read: Choose one: Opponent loses 1 life if they moved this Beat, or Spend 1 Shock token: opponent loses 1 life for each space moved this beat, while Live could be Gain 1 Shock Token, Before Activation: You may spend Shock tokens to advance 1 space each).

This would give the character a much more solid theme (virtually crackling with electric power), a much more interesting resource to manage (building up Shock tokens and deciding when to use them, and for what - do I use my Shock Tokens on closing in with a Live Strike, or do I save it up to shut down an opponent closing in with a Drive or a Movement Style+Strike?)

Overall, I like the idea of the character, but the execution could certainly use some work.
Magius out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan L
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Both of you make very good points, I was origonaly worried about making a UA focused on stunning, as most that would make for a frusterating game for the other person at times. I do really like the idea of a Regiside style token.

I'll keep the adjacent stun, remove the ante stun, and rework some of the abilities to include the token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is your current design?

Some positive, some negative... certainly not a game breaker.

Interesting how you chose to fuse some other existing abilities into his...

Why are you focussing on life loss so much? Seems a bit odd. Might be too much... you might want to amp up his power, and maybe step down the life loss.

I do like the way he alternates in his ability to essentially conduct the whole beat. As long as he has that token... even if Luc charges in, you can shut that whole thing down.

He needs to be grounded in some solid testing, for sure.

5 geek gold to whoever is first to identify ALL the puns in this post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see... There's Positive and Negative, which aligns with electric polarity... Fuse, for Fuse Box; Amp Up and Step Down; Alternates for an Alternator; Conduct; and finally, the need to be Grounded. So how'd I do?

On topic, this is getting closer. Still not a fan of a lot of the styles, but the character has, well, character now and I can see a playstyle emerging. Definitely ready for some playtesting, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan L
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wow, ya, didn't notice just how much life loss there was untill you guys pointed it out... Way to be direct with the issue. (missed a pun jason)

On a different note, given how Sires is going to shut down most brawlers at range 1, I think that I'll rework a few of the styles to give him options to use them for range and evade/move, just in case point blank isn't their thing.

SO! More ways to spend tokens more power, and almost all of the life loss is gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
Let's see... There's Positive and Negative, which aligns with electric polarity... Fuse, for Fuse Box; Amp Up and Step Down; Alternates for an Alternator; Conduct; and finally, the need to be Grounded. So how'd I do?

8 out of 11, not bad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan L
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
3 left, well let's see...

Current from the first line, breaker is annother one, annnnnnnnd charges, from "luc charges"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, I really like what you did with the Finisher now. Very potent, but requires a resource that you may not have available to activate it - and having it ready means not using it to defend against an opponent closing in.

Your Insulated style also gave me an idea for a powerful defensive type character - a character that collects Armour tokens throughout the game that give additional Soak and Power, but which are discarded for each point of Damage prevented. Can't wait to write that character up and try him out...
Magius out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozy Lellowen wrote:
3 left, well let's see...

Current from the first line, breaker is annother one, annnnnnnnd charges, from "luc charges"

Yes, yes and "I didn't realize that, it was unintentional".

I don't expect anyone to get the last one, it's really subtle

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Why are you focussing on life loss so much?
aka
"Wire" you focussing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.