United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial goal was to give basic Civ an overhaul and then move onto Advanced later. However, given the initial feedback, it seems wisest to do them both at the same time and include them in the same package - basic Civilization and Advanced Civ.

I'm posting here in case there are some Advanced Civ fans who may have missed the thread in the other forum. Very interested in feedback, since I have not really played either game much. Take all the discussion over to the other thread, however, just to keep it all in one place.

Civilization: Total Graphic Redesign

Here are some pics of what I've accomplished so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Artistically, it's beautiful. Gameplay look-wise, the colors blend together too much...which makes it really hard for a newbie like me to distinguish what is what...like the values at the bottom of the resource cards are tough to quickly determine how much the resource is worth because the numbers on the same color boxes of the background just blended in (and somewhat disappeared, like on the Gems card).

Beautiful to look at though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clark
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it. Makes me wish even harder that the game would be reprinted, even though I already own a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're MUCH more talented than I am. I created a PnP set of Adv. Civ but went (mostly) with the classic graphics/colors for the counters. I did modify the commodity/advancement cards a bit and they're set up for standard playing card size when printed. Even though I don't need another set...when this is done I'd like a copy of the files to create my own copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Numskull wrote:
I love it. Makes me wish even harder that the game would be reprinted, even though I already own a copy.

There's that reoccurring problem, it's a great game but who has the time? 2-8 players, plays best with 6+, takes 6 hours to finish!? When this game came out, I was in High School and in an era without video games, computers, DVD's, etc... spending an entire day playing this with buddies was thumbsup

Sadly, today I cannot see getting that number of adults together for that long of a game session more than once a year. Really, I can't even see HS kids getting together for that long of a focused session. I suspect other than a "annual event" scenario, most people would rather spend that six hours playing 6-8 different games.

Rather than constantly seek to expand the game's scope (as most redesigns seem to do), if there were a way to actually minimize it and make it more focused so you could play a scenario in under a couple hours. That might get it on the table more than once a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where there is a will, there is a way. If the issue is kids, teach them the game and have them join in the fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more updates on the cards, in case you haven't subscribed to the other thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, there are 4 each of Dye and Ivory in Advanced Civ.

Plus, I think that while the colored icons for each type of civilization cards is a nice touch, it is still a little difficult for some to distinguish one from another. I'd suggest borrowing from the original version's layout, and having a colored bar over the icon and the cost (plus any pre-requisites). The icons could just be black (or white) on the colored bar.

Also, while graphically nice, the cards are a little less efficient than the originals. By moving the card's cost to the top of the card, players will ahve to be flipping up and down stacks to reveal costs OR benefits. With the original game components, a player can fan up a stack of civilzation cards and see both at the same time, reducing the amount of card handling during the course of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent an inordinate amount of time making my own board a couple of years ago. I wish that your design had been available then. This is very close to what I had hoped to find. Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case some of you may have missed it, the redesign is complete and all of the files are available over on the Civ filepage.

Civilization Redesign - Cards
Civilization Redesign - Player Aids & Tokens
Civilization Redesign - Game Boards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingemar Ragnemalm
msg tools
designer
Isn't this project a case of Iconoclasm & heresy?

(I am just joking, but I know people who would get raving mad over less.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, gorgeous work! I own the original (played it last night), but might have to print this out and use it instead - really very lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Moore
Australia
Toowong
Queensland
flag msg tools
The graphics look lovely. I just noticed - belatedly - that Music, Drama/Poetry and Mathematics all provide 5 points credit to Law (see http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/610637/question-credits) and this is not shown on those cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingemar Ragnemalm
msg tools
designer
Robrob wrote:
Numskull wrote:

There's that reoccurring problem, it's a great game but who has the time? 2-8 players, plays best with 6+, takes 6 hours to finish!?
Sadly, today I cannot see getting that number of adults together for that long of a game session more than once a year. Really, I can't even see HS kids getting together for that long of a focused session. I suspect other than a "annual event" scenario, most people would rather spend that six hours playing 6-8 different games.

Rather than constantly seek to expand the game's scope (as most redesigns seem to do), if there were a way to actually minimize it and make it more focused so you could play a scenario in under a couple hours. That might get it on the table more than once a year.

Only six hours for a game of Civ?! I totally agree with you, and I have been doing something about it.

It seems I havn't mentioned it here, so here goes: I am working on a variant of Civilization with the very clear goal of making a faster game. It has got a few test plays and overall it looks like I have a good approach. We still need to make test plays with stricter time limits and with people who have played the variant before. Until then I can't promise that you can play it in an hour... but I believe you can.

Overall, I have rescaled everything in the game to reduce the complexity, making decisions fewer. Smaller map (all new). Shorter AST. Fewer everything. Flat-rate rebates between civ cards. But the game sequence and mechanics are pretty much the same.

I intend to release the game as PnP, but I am lacking one thing: Nice art. Cards and board are the most vital ones. (I don't play with cardboard tokens but use wooden cubes and discs so I skipped those.)

My test players have suggested that the game should be tweaked towards a more middle-aged theme, since the map shows the nordic countries, but I don't want to change that if it moves too far away from the original. For instance, trade cards should be the same old even if they are not typical for the region.

I can upload what I have but it certainly looks like a draft so I fear that it wouldn't be taken seriously. Art, art, art... and I am not good at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
For those not following the thread on the classic Civ boards...

There are now summaries (basic and advanced) here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/110962/redesign-summaries

There is now a master rule book (covers both versions) and a pair of almanacs (one basic and one advanced) here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgg7bcqg2j8crmj/AAAF-bMGLGwHi-Ipv...

ANd said rule books can be bought on Lulu.com, links are here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/17658387#17658387
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule book price is a very reasonable $6. What's shipping like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Rule book price is a very reasonable $6. What's shipping like?

To the UK, it was a flat $10 for several books. I can't speak for the rest of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.