Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a general question regarding naval units returning home. In one of my PBEM games, the Ottoman ended the turn with its fleet in the Tyrrehenian Sea.

Is the closest port Algiers, or could the Ottoman winter in a space such as Coron or Lepanto?

Here are the two opposing view-points:

1. The Tyrrhenian Sea is not adjacent to the Ionian Sea per 2.5, they are adjacent to Messina.

2. A power can return home across Gibraltar to its closest port, even though the Barbary Coast/Atlantic Ocean are not adjacent per 2.5 and maybe not even controlled by that power (EX: England loans ships to Spain and they end up in the Med Sea. They can still return back to England).

I guess it all comes down to whether or not the Ottoman counts Messina as a space when its naval units are returning home?

Thank you for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if he could go through Messina the port Algiers (2 MPs) would be closer than Coron (3 MPs). If England loans ships to soain they must be allies, so they may cross Gibraltar back to England.

Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to count Messina. (Gibraltar, too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Jelley wrote:
Even if he could go through Messina the port Algiers (2 MPs) would be closer than Coron (3 MPs). If England loans ships to soain they must be allies, so they may cross Gibraltar back to England.

Philip

Thanks for your response Philip. I was sort of thinking that Messina would be included in the count.

Also, I think naval units returning home is different than land units returning home. From what I can see there is no requirement for a friendly pathway home, they just return to the nearest controlled port of their power.

dirubin wrote:
You have to count Messina. (Gibraltar, too.)

That was what I suspected after reanalyzing the rules and Ed's previous rulings. I just wanted to make sure I had the right answer for my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.