Subject: A Video Game Review: Super Mario World rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb

Super Mario World was developed as the pack-in title for the initial launch of the Super Nintendo. Given the immense popularity of Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Mario World had a lot to live up to and it more than delivered with not only one of the best games in the Mario series, but one of the best platforming games of all time.

erichsschuler.com

Super Mario World takes place in Dinosaur Land. Princess Toadstool is missing, and it seems Bowser is up to his old tricks. It is up to Mario to rescue her. Super Mario World is a 2D platforming game with internal battery back up for three save slots. It can be played single player or two player. The second player uses Luigi and the players trade off taking turns. In this review the character will be referred to as Mario for the sake of efficiency.

Mario has a few new tricks up his sleeve in Super Mario World, and the introduction of Yoshi provides a number of unique opportunities as well. By default Mario can walk, run, jump and spin jump. The spin jump does not get Mario as high as the normal jump but it allows him to do more damage against some enemies, and there are some obstacles he can bounce off of while using spin jump that would otherwise damage him. Mario can eat a Super Mushroom to become larger and this also allows him to take one additional hit before dying. If he gets hit in the larger state he will go back to being small. For the most part being large is far preferable, but there are a few instances where being small provides benefit in being able to sneak into crevices that larger Mario cannot get through. The second power up is the Fire-Flower. This power up allows Mario to shoot fireballs at enemies. If Mario uses his spin jump while in this state fireballs will shoot out both to the left and right sides of the screen. The third power up is the Cape Feather and is in almost all situations the best and most flexible option. The Cape Feather gives Mario a cape. Mario can spin the cape to damage enemies, even permanently killing enemies that would otherwise revive. The cape also allows Mario to reduce the speed of his descent from a jump. This provides more control over when you land and allows him to travel even further while jumping. The cape also allows Mario to fly, and the flight lasts as long as the player can maintain altitude. This is a significant upgrade over the Raccoon Tail of Super Mario Bros. 3 which allows Mario to fly for only a short time. While in flight Mario can also perform a ground pound to damage enemies.

Grabbing a second power up switches you to the new one and transfers the previous power up to a box on the top of the screen where it is held. If you get damaged this power up will drop and you will have a chance to grab it. You can also hit select to intentionally drop it if you want to toggle power ups. Invincibility stars are also available which last a short amount of time and prevent all damage to Mario.

Yoshi also makes his first appearance in Super Mario World. Yoshi appears in several versions: green, red, yellow and blue. The red, yellow and blue. Yoshi's are found as eggs and must be fed before they grow and can be ridden. Feed them with enemies or power-ups. Green Yoshi's hatch immediately full grown.

selectstartgames.wordpress.com

There are several benefits to riding Yoshi. First of all he absorbs damage. If you get hit while riding Yoshi you dismount and Yoshi runs off. But Mario will remain in whatever condition he was in prior to the damage. The second benefit to Yoshi is his enormous appetite. Yoshi can grab and eat many enemies (including some larger than himself). This can be used as a potent weapon and can be used to grab items Mario would otherwise not be able to reach. A third benefit to riding a Yoshi is that you can double jump. Jump once while riding the Yoshi and perform a jumping dismount during the jump to reach incredible heights. And the final benefit to riding Yoshi is that when Yoshi eats a Koopa Troopa shell it can provide special benefits. A green shell will be spit out and slide along the ground bouncing off obstacles and hitting enemies. A red shell when spit releases three fireballs. A yellow shell gives Yoshi a ground pound ability. And a blue shell gives Yoshi the ability to fly. The colored Yoshi's can use the corresponding ability when they are carrying any colored shell along with the typical color benefit of the shell they carry.

Dinosaur Land is broken up into 8 principle regions. Each of these are connected by an overworld map which allows you to travel to most levels that you have completed already (Boss castles and fortresses are destroyed after completion and cannot be replayed). Each level that you complete opens a path to a new area. As such Super Mario World is non-linear and you have flexibility as to how you will progress through the game. Levels that are represented with a yellow dot on the map have one possible exit, while levels that have a red dot each have two exits. Some of the Ghost Houses also have two exits.

The overworld map is well done and even has some animated features to it. Each region has its own theme and layout features which tie it together. The levels in Super Mario World are typically traversed from left to right, although there is some variability in this. One of my favorite features of Super Mario World is exploring the level designs and finding the hidden areas. From going into pipes, to flying toward secret areas, to finding keys for secret locks to the always tricky Ghost Houses there are a lot of things to look for if you want to go exploring.

Players eager to take on everything the game has to offer, will have to find and complete the Special World. There are also fun alternate ways to play for those looking to make the game a bit more difficult. I have enjoyed challenging myself to see how few levels I can complete and finish the game, or to try and play without completing the Switch Palaces. Scattered throughout Super Mario world are the perforated outlines of boxes. After completing a switch palace the correspondingly colored boxes are filled in. Half of the activated switch box colors simply allow you to walk over these boxes. The yellow switch boxes can be hit for a Super Mushroom and the green switch boxes for a Cape Feather.

Super Mario World is one of the best platforming video games of all time. It features tight controls, great game physics, fun graphics, a wide variety of enemies, a large number of power-ups, readily accessible extra lives, many hidden areas to explore and great attention to detail. There are animated aspects to the overworld map, Mario bonks Yoshi on the head to get him to perform the tongue strike, sound effects that echo in enclosed levels and more. There was a lot of love and care put into the design of this game and it shows. Some players may object to the time limit in levels, but I have found this to rarely come into play and principally when investigating a level. While it is a deterrent to exploration it does not hinder my enjoyment of the game, particularly since extra lives are so easy to come by.

In summary if you are a fan of platforming games, you owe it to yourself to play Super Mario World.

nintendo.com

Availability:
Super Mario World was originally made for the Super Nintendo and is also available on the Virtual Console, and as a re-make for the Game Boy Advance. This review is based on the Super Nintendo version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only a good review but also number 1000!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Tassinari
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best video game ever produced. I still come back to this one time after time. I haven't found another game that offers as much variety and depth. I think the gripe about the timer is a bit of a stretch. That's something that adds just the right amount of tension to the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I have so much experience with the game that the timer rarely matters. The reason I mention the clock is that many gamers do not care for this as a condition and I felt it fair to mention it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.