Axis & Allies: 1942» Forums » General

Subject: First Edition or Second edition dilema rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Arevalo
Colombia
flag msg tools
Hi Everyone,

The thing is I´m in a country were is very difficult to buy things overseas because of the taxes and shipping rates, so I found a Axis and Allies Spring 1942 in a store for a really good price, should i buy it, or should I save up the money to buy the 1942 second edition?

Pd: I don´t mind printing the IPC´s or buying small chips to upgrade the game.

Thanks meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
MILLINGTON
Tennessee
flag msg tools
1942 First Edition was the worst version of Axis ever IMO. Buy 2nd edition! I've been playing Axis for 26 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any other A&A games already? That could influence my recommendation. Also what environment do you play in? (Casual vs competitive / tournament?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my 1st ed. and bought 2nd, mainly because I couldn't stand the tiny map; deploying and moving armies in Europe was a pain in the ass. Now 2nd ed, THAT is a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
arevel wrote:
Hi Everyone,

The thing is I´m in a country were is very difficult to buy things overseas because of the taxes and shipping rates, so I found a Axis and Allies Spring 1942 in a store for a really good price, should i buy it, or should I save up the money to buy the 1942 second edition?

Pd: I don´t mind printing the IPC´s or buying small chips to upgrade the game.

Buy the second edition. The first edition is obsolete and a waste money. It should tell you something that 1st edition was so quickly replaced by a 2nd edition. Don't be fooled by retailers showing a good price on the game and substituting 1st edition for 2nd. Read the fine print as the game boxes are very similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay folks, I'm thinking of moving up and onward from my old version(1980/81 Nova games edition) of A&A. I had the oldest MB version, lost in Andrew, but it seemed to be "broken" as the "Japan drives across the USSR" strategy seemed to be unbeatable. Now I see editions with cruisers, arty and more, even one that starts in 1940! Which edition should I get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
1942 second edition is the direct descendant of your old MB edition and positioned as a middle of the road version with all the new bells and whistles. 1941 is a stripped down quick play version. 1940 is a monster game with much larger maps, it comes as Europe and Pacific which can be combined into a monster global game, with lots more territories and more complicated rules. 1940 is neat but requires a long weekend to complete a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.