Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
71 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How many of your personal top10 are not in BGG top 100? What are they? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: how many of your top 10 (based on how you have them ranked in BGG right now...in otherwords go to your collection and sort by "Your Rating") are not in the top 100 of BGG rankings?

Why do you rate those games so highly?

My list is 3 games:
Citadels - I rank this high because it's such a good/quick game to introduce to others.....including non-baord-gamers. Usually when I introduce this game the new players immediately request another game after the first one. They ask me where they can buy it, etc... Citadels is easy to understand, easy to teach, fun to play. Good interaction, fun to bluff each other. Fun to explain possible action that you might do, when you have done the exact opposite devil It's just a good game. Please small form factor so it travels well.

Kingsburg - Dice, dice, dice. It's fun to roll. The board is so fun and inviting. It's a pleasure to look at and talk about...especially when playing with kids. Not too deep, but deep enough to keep you interested. Competition in this game is high. If someone else gets a building, you want it too. This is a great family game.

Chess - 5-min blitz chess with an equally matched opponent is absolutely exciting, engaging, and competitive. Snapping a piece off the board (especially in a sacrifice) and slapping the clock is oddly satisfying. Nowhere in gaming is there a more direct matching of wits and wills. The downsides of chess: 1) need to study to progress. and 2) most games end due to blunder. But the upside far outweights the downside. It's an abstract game with some theme (yes, I said theme in regards to chess)....if you start a pawn storm on the opponent's king-side, you'll get the feeling of a "charge."

Those are the 3 games that make my top-ten, but not BGG's top 100. What are yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse (me: #1, BGG: #784)
Super heroes are a winning theme with me, and this game evokes the genre better than any I've played before.

Mansions of Madness (me: #2, BGG: #117)
Love the mystery solving aspect of it. The exploration, plus the eldritch horror theme. Just lots of fun.

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame (me: #6, BGG: #756)
The character building is really well done. All the classes feel totally different, and even within a single class you can build up in a totally different way each time. Just tons of variability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to see what everyone says, I'm way too fickle to pick a top 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Factory Fun
Roma
Backgammon
Macao

And Notre Dame is hanging on by a thread, both in my top 10 and in the top 100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5-10 fluctuate quite a bit. But a few titles that go in and out of my top 10

Macao (firmly in my top 10)

Through the Desert (a game that goes unplayed for a while, but then I get it back out and remember just how much I love it)

Torres

Thurn and Taxis (the ultimate spouse game when your spouse likes to keep it on the lighter side)

Notre Dame will probably crack my top 10 before long. Playing the heck out of right now...and love it.

Ys just plain fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I have 6 games I've rated a '10', of them, only one (Go) is
in the top 100.

Bridge, Poker, 1856, La Revolution Francaise, La Grand Guerre are the
others.

I have 18 '9' rated games (I shan't go with more granularity).
Of these, 3 are in the top 100.

The weighted geek ratings of many of these are fairly low (below 6),
although the averages tend to be ok (only strong one is Here I Stand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Preference: we play with almost exclusively 2 players.

#1 Wings of Glory: Fun quick dog fight. Basically X-Wing miniatures for people who prefer WWI or WWII

#2 Flash Point: Fire Rescue. We prefer this to pandemic for the fire spread mechanic and it looks prettier.

#3 Nexus Ops: Our favorite dudes on a map game. Recently played with 3 people and it was insane.

#8 Tikal: So much better in person than ios. This game belongs in every euro fans collection

#9 Betrayal at House on the Hill: We play a house rule 2 player variant and enjoy it. Yet to play with 3+ players.

#10 Last Night on Earth: Of course you need a zombie game. Only game I own where I feel like I'm acting out a story/movie.

Edit: Our top 10 is essentially our Hot top 10 as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
My Top 10 I keep fairly up to date (even thought it rarely changes).

Here are my top 10 that aren't in the Top 100:
1 - Nuclear War - one of the oldest games in my collection. A game I've been playing for 30 years in through RPG, Historical Mini, War Gaming and Miniature gaming periods. A fun game that appeals to a wide range of gamers and non-gamers.

3 - Belfort mixes two of my favorite mechanisms. Area control (majority) and worker placement. Good variation in play experience based on guilds and players.

6 - Container excellent multi-layer economic system that keeps me engaged and never really sure how I'm doing.

8 - Industrial Waste is an fun faced paced filler.

10 - Jenseits von Theben - much prefer this version to the more popular higher rated Queen version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Christian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Worlds
I love this game with 4-5 people.
Android
I wish I had more time for this game do I could get good enough at it to appreciate how deep it seems.
Infinite City
A game that anyone can learn in 5 minutes. A better gateway game than most gateway games.
To Court the King
You think Kingsburg has dice? I guess Quarriors has more, but this one brings me bake to the days of unleashing the high level fireball.

Honorable mention to a game I have high hopes for playing with the family. Mice and Mystics. Painting the figures was almost enough fun for me to rank it. Not too intimidating and a high cute factor.

MC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hay
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More than half of my top 10 sits outside the BGG top 100:

#4 König von Siam - A brilliant little area control game that packs some impossibly tense decisions into 20min.
#5 Genoa - Catan was my gateway game, and while I no longer love Settlers like I used to this takes the best part (the trading phase) and distills it into a game all by itself. Needs the right five players.
#6 Dungeon Petz - This is my second favourite worker placement after Agricola. You must take risks to have a shot at winning, but if you get yourself in too deep the game can be brutally punishing.
#7 Morels - All the things I love in a quick 2p game. Appears to be luck driven but contains a deceptive amount of skill when you look deeper. Needs to be played with the circular path variant.
#9 Haggis - When I play Tichu I feel that I am trying to play each hand the one 'right' way. With Haggis I feel that there at least half a dozen 'right' ways to play each hand and I have room to be more creative with the way I play it.
#10 Bananagrams - I take this everywhere in my bag. I like it as a two player game or with my team variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently I have 5 that are not in the BGG Top 100.

Macao

Such a genius and unique game! Simple ways to score points, yet many different valuations you are forced to make as a player. Also, since the dice/windrose mechanic si not predictable it adds more factors into the valuation proccess. I can't see this game ever leaving my top 10. currently it is in my number 1 spot and I rate it a 10. So far I have not experienced anything as clever or as interesting as that windrose mechanic.

Rook

A game that I have played more than any other game. It was also the toughest game to get my head around! Easy to learn, hard to get really good at! It is a simple trick taking game but I love how it keeps things interesting by having you switch partners throughout the game instead of simply playing with one partner like many card games do. I also love evaluating and bidding on a hand and than trying to execute that hand if you win the bid or figuring out how to breaka bid if you didn't. This game is currently #3 on my top 10 list and I do not foresee this dropping of my top 10 either. I also rate it a 10.

Strasbourg

This is a neat auction game that also has a spatial component, a secret mission component, and a tight resource management component. I really enjoy auctions and this is the best I own so far. However, I recently bought Goa which I will have soon. I have played Goa only once and I think I will end up liking it better than Strasbourg. Strasbourg is currently 7 on my top 10 and I rate it a 9. I think Strasbourg will eventually fall out of my top 10 as I really like it but don't love it.

TTR:Marklin

This is the best of the famous TTR series. The TTR series is super accesible to nongamers and is a fun route completeing game. I quite enjoy the secret destination tickets aspect to the game. However, I found TTR and TTR:Europe not interesting enough to keep my attention. TTR:Marklin, however, has the added passengers element which adds a whole new aspect of strategy and timing to the game. I find it is the perfect "next step" game for people that want a bit more meat than what an Alhambra or TTR:Europe provide. This game is currently 8 on my top 10 and I rate it 8.4. I think this game will also eventually drop off my top 10 as it is also a really good game that I really like but do not love.

Alhambra

This classic and simple tile laying game was one of the first I bought. It is a favorite of my wife's and I enjoy it as well. It also has been a great game to introduce non-gamers to the world of boardgames. I also enjoy the spatial element to this game. While this game is fun and I have had some good memories with it, it is on the edge of dropping out of my top 10. With Trajan, Goa, and King of Tokyo on the way I can't see this game lasting. I currently have it in my 10th spot rated 8.1.

SO there you have it 5 not in the top 100, and 2 that will likely stay in my top 10 for my entire lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
richcharters wrote:
Question: how many of your top 10 (based on how you have them ranked in BGG right now...in otherwords go to your collection and sort by "Your Rating") are not in the top 100 of BGG rankings?

Why do you rate those games so highly?

7 of my top 10 games are outside of the BGG top 100, with 4 of those actually outside of the top 1000. And very soon, 9 of my top 10 will be outside of the BGG top 100, given the direction Settlers and Civilization are inexorably moving.

I've written about why elsewhere, but the 7 outside of the top 100 are:

2038: Tycoons of the Asteroid Belt*
Bridge
1846: The Race for the Midwest*
Merchant of Venus
Frisch Fisch*
Res Publica*
Thebes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal ranking, title, then BGG ranking, then description

1. Lord of the Rings (#362) I love its fully cooperative nature, the gradual but constant sense of pressure, the fact that every single choice matters, and of course the theme!

3. Chess (#266) It's the king of games for a reason. I love its intensity and the way it forces me to use brain power. It's satisfying to have to focus so intently and adjust plans to what you're opponent is doing.

4. Hellas (#1333) A 2p gem. It's a strategic tug of war with a multitude of strategies to employ. I like its combination of skill and randomness as well.

7. Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game (#287) I like that its cooperative and that my son and I can get a full dungeon crawl experience in 65 to 75 minutes or so. Plus it can be brutal if you use the base rule set, so we really have to talk it out at and think at least one turn ahead. This one may be high for me b/c of sentimental value.

8. Beowulf: The Movie Board Game (#1159) My son and I have had too many epic games of this for it not to be in my personal top 10. But seriously, you really don't know who's going to win until that 3rd and final board is played.

9. Lord of the Rings: The Duel (#2403) I just think this is another 2p gem. It really shines brightly when both players have played enough to be familiar with the two decks. When that is achieved, the decision making can be killer!

10. Red November (#854) It hits a sweet spot for me---cooperative but with a traitor element; fun bits and pieces; clever idea; and some killer risk-taking (which seems to be the specialty of its creator).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats
At the Gates of Loyang
Walnut Grove
London
Goldland

A full half!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question! I will enjoy reading more replies, but the ones so far have been very good reading.

Six of my top Ten are outside of the BGG Top 100, with one outside of the BGG top 2000.

Planet Steam - A very heavily chromed game with a wicked market mechanism.

Big Boss - Wolfgang Kramers homage to Acquire.

Call My Bluff - A fun dice game for casual situations.

God's Playground - My favorite Martin Wallace game.

GolfProfi - The hook here is the quest for better golf clubs (dice) that you earn as you play more to lower your handicap. Addictive!

StreetSoccer - Fun, fast, and I reject all the whiners who claim it comes down to whoever rolls the best dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Sherlock Holmes: The Card Game # 2294 - no idea why I like this so much.. I just do

Mall of Horror # 581 - My boyfriend has this imported from Germany for me because I love it so much... there is just something magical about leaving people to be munched by the zombie hoard

Gears of War: The Board Game # 180 - This is Gears of War: the board game... 'nuff said

Nightfall # 545 - This is my kind of deck builder, Quick. Self thinning of the starting cards and the interesting 'chaining' mechanic make this variable enough for even hardened CCG players to enjoy.

Evo (second edition) # 750 - Loved the first edition where you could put 'emo' hair on your dinosaur . This edition cleaned up a lot of the rules and balanced? the cards somewhat.

City of Horror # 2070 - Mall of horror with character abilities... Yes please

King of Tokyo # 147 - RAWR! Cyberbunny smash! quick simple filler that everyone enjoys.

Dungeon Petz # 113 - A euro in disguise! Nice little worker placement that is actually quite deep... well at least for me

Ghost Stories # 133 - Co-op game that is difficult enough that my group keeps going back to it.

The only game in my top 10 in the top 100 is Battlestar Galactica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I am afraid that when I clicked on each of top 10 games, the highest rated one was Acquire and, to my surprise, it wasn't in the Top 100 (it's ranked #101).

The next best were a couple in the mid 200s, 408, mid 600s, 838, and many in the 2000-4500 range.

#1: How to Host... [I like all murder mystery party games and the highest ranked one is well above 1000]
#2: Scrabble[Sadly this is ranked in the 800s...it is the very best word game ever created]
#3: Acquire[It's a bit abstract and dry, but way better than recent fare.]
#4: Sports Illustrated Baseball [I love statistical baseball simulations and this is, by far, the best of the lot because it isn't bogged down in excess detail]
#5: Mü & More [I think this is the next highest rated after Acquire...a great trick taking card game, but really only good with exactly 5 players]
#6: Telestrations[THE party game of the decade. I think recent editions have veered a bit too much into the 'adult' realm, but still quite good.]
#7: Compatibility[THE party game of earlier years...I think a new edition is being released]
#8: Alhambra[My favorite "Euro." I don't get the complaints about how much the board changes between your turns...that's one of the great things about it.]
#9: Aladdin's Dragons [Another great "Euro" but not quite as solid as Alhambra...a tiny bit too much chaos from the magic cards.]
#10: Charades[The very best parlor game, as opposed to packaged 'party games.' Best played as competitive teams.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Turns out NONE of my top 10 are in the top 100. The closest is Flash Point: Fire Rescue at #161.

The only game I have rated a 10 is Vanished Planet, which is BGG #3030. I love it because it's an epic co-op with a space theme, that my wife asks to play. Sure, it's swingy and fiddly, but it's tense, and fun.

My 9's (aside from Flash Point) are too new to be in the top 100, but I doubt any of them will get there even with enough time:

Empire Express is a great short crayon rails experience. Including solo plays, I have played it 49 times in the less than 2 months I have owned it.

Africana is a beautiful pickup-and-deliver game that should have won awards like the SdJ. It works perfectly as a gateway game, yet has enough meat to keep medium gamers interested.

Roll to the South Pole is my favorite push-your-luck game. It takes a very basic mechanism, but builds a full game around it, with a beautiful board and resource management (cubes!), plus a theme that works. It's a few minutes longer than it probably should be, but I really enjoy it as a "longer filler".

The other 5 of my top 10 are only rated 8, so they are not necessarily permanent residents. Two are BGG unranked. But I won't detail them because I don't yet have confidence in their longevity.

Of the BGG top 100, I have rated 27 of them. Of those, I rated only one an 8 (Pandemic), and five are 7's. Three get ratings of 3 (Go, El Grande, and Alien Frontiers), and six more get ratings of 4 (RftG, T&E, Troyes, AoEIII, Dixit, and Settlers of Catan).

Obviously my tastes don't align well with BGG voters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Six of my top 10 aren't in the Top 100.

These are:

1. Blue Moon. The best way to describe this beautiful game is 'Magic the Gathering: the minimalist edition'. We traded away Call of Cthulhu LCG for it, and it was worth every not-penny.

2. Hey, That's My Fish. A mean spatial abstract posing as a kiddie game about penguins. It's simple, yet vicious. The only downer is the setup time is longer than the game.

3. Through the Desert. What is there to dislike? Another beautiful semi-abstract spatial game with simple rules, emergent complexity, and succulent-looking candy-coloured plastic camels.

4. Bohnanza. Uwe Rosenberg's bean-trading game. We've only played it with two, and it's brilliant - I know it'd be even better with more. Simple rules, short-playing time, remarkably tough decisions.

5. Puzzle Strike. The game Dominion should have been, if you're a tactical thinker into cute anime. It's a deck building, fighting game, and has sort-of fired Nightfall.

6. Talisman. Yep, it's a roll-and-move game with random event cards, but it's hard to better as an epic fantasy adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McMurray
United States
Rudolph
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, my favorite game isn't even in my personal top 10 as I've rated them on the 'geek. That one is Eurorails, sitting at #516.

Tales of the Arabian Nights (#229)
Magic the Gathering (#136)
Alhambra (#231, at least for the Big Box)
Tobago (#223)
Acquire (#101)

For the most part, I prefer games that provoke thought, but also provide a good, fun play for all involved regardless of whether or not they win. Arabian Nights is obviously an exception there, but hey, I love a good story. As an honorable mention, in fact, I'll put The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen (#1300) here; I haven't yet rated it due to a low number of plays, but when I do, I think it'll crack my top 10 easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mogel Motte (me: #5, BGG #1954)
Provides laughter like nothing else I've ever played.

Ergo (me #6, BGG # 6584)
Easy in the very beginning, but becomes very difficult very fast. I'm not a fan of logical expressions, but this game makes them awesome.

Carson City (me #7, BGG #155)
I like how you have to balance the amount of actions you attempt take in a round versus how strong you will be in duels and thus able to actually take the actions you go for.

Ra: The Dice Game (me #9, BGG 621)
Hmm. Somehow I can't quite come up with good things to say here. Perhaps that's an indicator that I should change my top 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation
Coloretto
Thunderbolt Apache Leader

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stocks & Bonds is #6662. My husband and I played it over and over. We changed it slightly by saying we could buy odd lots of stock, not just in groups of 10 shares. We always used margin. And with odd lots we could spend all of our money, not just the amount divisible by 10. Needs a calculator to play.

Aton is #397. I love the take-that aspect of removing my opponent's tokens from the board. It's a combination of wanting to get more of my tokens onto the board and wanting to go last and take more of hers off.

Catan Card Game is #389. So much better than regular Catan. I play most of my games against the same person. She uses a different strategy than I do, but I win almost every game. I'm not going to tell her why.

Finca is #295. So simple to teach. Cute wooden fruits. Nice amount of strategy.

San Juan is #128. Also easy to show new people. Quick. A few different strategies can all be winning ones.

Saint Petersburg is #127. Quick set-up. Works great with two. More luck driven - getting the observatory early, getting some high count aristocrats onto the table instead of stuck in my hand. I've played it more than 100 times.

Macao is #123. Several others on this list love the game as much as I do. Frustrating, but great fun. Same comment as for Catan Card Game: my usual partner has a different strategy than I do, but I win almost all the games. Not going to tell her why.

Acquire is #101. Too close to bother commenting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only got 3 outside the top 100.
#1: Magic Realm (ranked 483)
#2: Princes of the Renaissance (ranked 191)
#7: Merchant of Venus (ranked 300)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Louis XIV I expected this one to be in the Top 100... Why?

Chinatown Group favorite. Can imagine people not liking this one - lot of luck and pure negotiation.

Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648 Played this by eMail. Loved it! Really, really loved it. But it's not a game you'd see in the Top 100 soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.