Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Fleet Captains – Romulan Empire» Forums » General

Subject: Just a thought.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Davis
United States
Craig
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it obviously terribly early to begin speculating about the next expansion, but, why not? The rules sheet for Romulan Empire already starts to imply some ideas for a further expansion, when it comes to dealing with the saboteurs.

To designate who controls the saboteur, you're supposed to place one of the controlling player's scan tokens on them. So far, only Romulans have saboteurs, so, even in a 6-player game, this won't really clarify which Romulan player specifically controls the saboteur. Theoretically, via the Mirror Universe encounter, another player might get a saboteur or two, but its unlikely.

On the other hand, if the next expansion happens to include shape shifters, they'd make great saboteurs, and the Dominion would have different scan tokens than the Romulans...

Like I titled the thread, though; just a thought.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But the expansion just came
out. Do you
really think they will announce an expansion to the
game this soon?

Can
anyone
really think they will announce another race this soon.
Does anyone know enough
about
Star Trek to
say what should be
included in the next expansion box?
Anyways I cannot wait to get my copy of this expansion to the table
next week!
8 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
But the expansion just came
out. Do you
really think they will announce an expansion to the
game this soon?

Can
anyone
really think they will announce another race this soon.
Does anyone know enough
about
Star Trek to
say what should be
included in the next expansion box?
Anyways I cannot wait to get my copy of this expansion to the table
next week!


Not sure they would be my first pick for an expansion... but maybe it hopefully the second expansion will be a multi-race one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Davis
United States
Craig
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just figure the Cardassians and Dominion, plus Breen, would make a good expansion, and stand together well, thematically. Given that a single Borg ship should be a match for someone else's entire fleet, I have a hard time envisioning the Borg as a good expansion, but that's just me.

It could also be that I just didn't care for most of the Borg material. Throughout the whole canon Trek universe, I can think of three Borg episodes I actually liked. Just my opinion, though, and I know a lot of people would be thrilled with a Borg expansion, and for their sake, I hope they get one.

I'd also like to see some single ship expansions, kind of like the custom Borg rules on the base game files section. I could easily see a Ferengi ship that marauds around the map, either indiscriminately causing trouble for both players or giving assistance to the highest bidder. (Maybe use influence to "bid", though I'm not sure exactly what mechanics would be best suited for that...) I could also see "ally" ship singles, or an expansion with multiple "singles" with appropriate rules, a la Vulcan ships to work as allies of the Federation, the Scimitar to place "with" the Romulans (though there would probably be some chance of it turning against them...), and so forth. Just an expansion with extra ships, cards, and rules, plus some new locations, encounters, and new command decks. (I'd like to see a Section 31 deck to facilitate the Federation on espionage, personally...)

Of course, these are just my ideas. I have no better way of possibly letting Wizkids know what I'd like to see, so, I'm posting ideas here in the hopes that maybe some of these ideas will get seen, even if they don't get used. Naive? Maybe, but you can't blame a guy for trying...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
But the expansion just came
out. Do you
really think they will announce an expansion to the
game this soon?

Can
anyone
really think they will announce another race this soon.
Does anyone know enough
about
Star Trek to
say what should be
included in the next expansion box?
Anyways I cannot wait to get my copy of this expansion to the table
next week!


What's with the format? Is this some new form of visual haiku?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Grumsh wrote:
But the expansion just came
out. Do you
really think they will announce an expansion to the
game this soon?

Can
anyone
really think they will announce another race this soon.
Does anyone know enough
about
Star Trek to
say what should be
included in the next expansion box?
Anyways I cannot wait to get my copy of this expansion to the table
next week!


What's with the format? Is this some new form of visual haiku?

Getting the beginning right is very important, but so is going line by line. If you can do both, then you'll do fine.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read it aloud and make sure that each line takes the same amount of time to read.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hopeful for a Dominion fleet expansion (including the Breen, Cardassians, and the rest). Without all of those included, I don't think there's enough content there for a standalone Dominion fleet. Similarly, I don't think there's enough Cardassian content for them to be their own fleet and they certainly don't seem like they should be a power on par with the Federation, Klingon, or Romulan Empire.


After the Dominion, the only thing I'd be interested in would be some sort of generic expansion that included some new alternate ship cards and command decks for the existing factions (e.g. Sisko, Maquis deck, etc.) and maybe some sort of DS9 location or installation tile with special rules. If they threw a Borg cube and some solid rules for a Borg cooperative scenario in there, I'd be set.


Couldn't see myself buying anything beyond that for the game. Some have expressed interest in seeing things like a playble Vulcan or Ferengi faction, but I just can't see such factions being appropriate for the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
Just read it aloud and make sure that each line takes the same amount of time to read.


The ol' Shatner Method.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
slinkydink wrote:
Just read it aloud and make sure that each line takes the same amount of time to read.


The ol' Shatner Method.


Gotcha. I
think.

By the way, WizKids messed my expansion up; I'm missing 2 ships. Someone else said it best, Wizkids really needs to get someone else to produce their games for them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:
slinkydink wrote:
Just read it aloud and make sure that each line takes the same amount of time to read.


The ol' Shatner Method.


Gotcha. I
think.


Well I was just making a joke about Shatner's infamous deliveries as Captain Kirk.

The 'weird visual formatting' by the poster above was to spell out C-A-R-D-A-S-S-I-A-N and B-O-R-G with the first letters of each line.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind blown
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
Mind blown


It's a nod to one of the developer's posts earlier in the year when he first hinted of the Romulan expansion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Onufryk
msg tools
To be honest, I think the best way to incorporate the Borg into this game would be in a non-playable role. For instance a mini expansion that introduces a Borg cube to the board following its own movement and victory rules (even a random time to enter it into the game).

This cube would be hostile to both sides and would take actions that in some way make it harder for either side to win (perhaps fulfilling some sort of countdown for assimilating class m planets). This would force players to set aside their quest for victory to team up to take it out in an early game, or in a later game a player closer to victory might say screw it and try to work around it while hoping the cube doesn't do something to royally screw them.

This is just my view though...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:
slinkydink wrote:
Just read it aloud and make sure that each line takes the same amount of time to read.


The ol' Shatner Method.


Gotcha. I
think.


Well I was just making a joke about Shatner's infamous deliveries as Captain Kirk.

The 'weird visual formatting' by the poster above was to spell out C-A-R-D-A-S-S-I-A-N and B-O-R-G with the first letters of each line.


Ahh... very clever.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Get people to buy Romulans.

Then we'll see.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Seigler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Next expansion (reusing sculpts from Tactics II)

Fleet Captains: The Dominion War

Contains 11 ships for the Khitomer Alliance (3 Federation ships, 3 Klingon ships, 3 Romulan ships, and 2 Ferengi ships) and 12 ships for the Dominion forces! (5 Dominion ships, 5 Cardassian ships, and 2 Breen ships). Also contains 1 Deep Space Nine dial-ed installation, and new alliance rules - use the ships from this set as members of their respective factions, or as part of an alliance to recreate historic battles from the TV series', or develop new ones!

Would SRP for the same as the base set, and come out (you guessed it) just in time for DS9's 20th anniversary!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
More likely:

MrDomino wrote:
Next expansion (reusing sculpts from Tactics II)

Fleet Captains: The Dominion War

Contains 11 ships for the Khitomer Alliance (3 Federation ships, 3 Klingon ships, 3 Romulan ships, and 2 Ferengi ships) and 12 ships for the Dominion forces! (5 Dominion ships, 5 Cardassian ships, and 2 Breen ships). Also contains 1 Deep Space Nine dial-ed installation, and new alliance rules - use the ships from this set as members of their respective factions, or as part of an alliance to recreate historic battles from the TV series', or develop new ones!

Would SRP for the same as the base set Romulan expansion, and come out (you guessed it) just in time for DS9's 20th anniversary!


A Cardassian/Dominion expansion must happen. That would explain why Excelsior got a new card in the Romulan expansion rather than the Defiant. And it would also explain why we're still missing Sisko, Kira, Dax, Bashir, etc.

We also seem to be missing a Maquis related set. For instance, where are Chakotay, B'Elanna Torres, Tuvok (a Saboteur?), Seska (a Saboteur!), etc from Voyager? And there are several villainous Maquis they could use from DS9 (particularly Michael Eddington), along with Ro Laren from TNG. The could even just add cards, location tiles and tokens, since small ships of other factions could be commandeered by the Maquis.

And there must be a Borg expansion. For one, where is Seven of Nine? That one could be a another mini expansion, since the Borg only needs a few BIG ships with generic crews (aside from a Queen and perhaps Locutus)... unless they want to include individuals from "I, Borg" (Hugh) and "Descent" (Lore + various independent, lobotomized Borg).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Seigler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
More likely:

MrDomino wrote:
Next expansion (reusing sculpts from Tactics II)

Fleet Captains: The Dominion War

Contains 11 ships for the Khitomer Alliance (3 Federation ships, 3 Klingon ships, 3 Romulan ships, and 2 Ferengi ships) and 12 ships for the Dominion forces! (5 Dominion ships, 5 Cardassian ships, and 2 Breen ships). Also contains 1 Deep Space Nine dial-ed installation, and new alliance rules - use the ships from this set as members of their respective factions, or as part of an alliance to recreate historic battles from the TV series', or develop new ones!

Would SRP for the same as the base set Romulan expansion, and come out (you guessed it) just in time for DS9's 20th anniversary!


...but then we couldn't get a new Defiant. Honestly, I would think a second base set would do much better for the game at this point, then another expansion. Traditionally, expansions are subtractive, whereas new base sets are often additive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDomino wrote:
...but then we couldn't get a new Defiant. Honestly, I would think a second base set would do much better for the game at this point, then another expansion. Traditionally, expansions are subtractive, whereas new base sets are often additive.


I would put my money on a similar sized expansion next, based on the patterns of other WizKids (and lots of companies) releases. They don't need another base set yet as EVERYONE wants Klingon/Federation.

Usually, there's a burst of expansions before a larger release, like LCGs do it, or even HeroScape and similar games.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
It will take a number of new decks just to get all the main characters in like a Sickbay Deck, a Sisko Deck, an Archer Deck, ect, but I can't see them focusing in this direction until they release all the main fleets that they hopefully plan to. Other fleets would likely need additional decks to keep things balanced, but there is naturally less material available for non-Feds.

I don't think additional ships for existing factions are really necessary, but that's just me.

I would like to see an expansion eventually include some more varied Missions. Stuff like War Crimes Prosecution (Combat, take a prisoner into your Command Post & trash it), Computer System Experiment (Science, based on TOS: The Ultimate Computer & gives system bonuses but requires a number of different actions to complete without powering down your Sensors), just more of a variety of different tasks. Some of the ones that get auto-cycled because of extreme difficulty could be reprinted to give additional rewards. For instance, Resource Extraction could add: "While this Mission is in your Victory Pile, you may hold one additional card in your hand." I have not seen this mechanic get abused, but this would give more incentive to try the hardest of Missions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just this easy...

Caradassian (who have plenty of background to stand alone from Dominion)
Ferengi
Dominion are maybe the 5th expansion if sales haven't petered out (and they will...)

Borg are a new cooperative scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
It's just this easy...

Caradassian (who have plenty of background to stand alone from Dominion)
Ferengi
Dominion are maybe the 5th expansion if sales haven't petered out (and they will...)

Borg are a new cooperative scenario.


Only the Borg have enough ships to make an expansion by themselves.

Cardassians have three ships.
Ferengi have one, maybe two if you include the shuttle pod thing.
Dominion has three ships.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Onufryk
msg tools
A Borg expansion makes absolutely no sense unless you plan to weaken their ships to a ridiculous extreme, in which case they are no longer Borg. The whole concept of the Borg is almost overwhelming power that takes every ounce of defense to resist. The idea of a Borg cube on the board being taken down by one or 2 ships is ludicrous. Multiple cubes on the board? It would be impossible for any opponent to win. Not to mention the incorporation of assimilation abilities which will most likely make it possible to capture opponent's ships. Of course we have the option of cards like transphasic torpedoes, but again, not every ship would realistically have these and it would be silly to try and balance a game in that way.

The bottom line is that the Borg are not a realistic choice for a player controlled race without modifying them in such a way that they lose that incredible strength that defines them. They are just too overpowered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
onufryk wrote:


The bottom line is that the Borg are not a realistic choice for a player controlled race

There are other ways of incorporating Borg, like a special Borg Encounter Deck, or controlled by a single "game master" VS everyone else. If additional subdecks are released, you could have 3+ players of the same faction VS the Borg.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.