Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Bye-Bye Thanksgiving Day rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I think it blows that Black Friday sales are actually starting at 8pm on Thanksgiving Day now. At this rate, it will only be a few more years before businesses don't even bother to close on Thanksgiving and you can kiss your big family get together goodbye. I felt sorry enough for the employees that are missing out on Thanksgiving dinner that I made a petition against the practice. Yes, even the hardcore fiscal conservative has a heart. Please sign and share if you agree.

http://wh.gov/9h0K

It needs 150 signatures before it becomes searchable. Yes, I realize that it's mostly symbolic and probably won't amount to anything but hey, I tried.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yes, even the hardcore fiscal conservative has a heart.
Screw that. Going to the movie theater after thanksgiving dinner is a family tradition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yes, even the hardcore fiscal conservative has a heart.
Seriously, you guys have no idea how much better it is to have Thanksgiving in October. It balances out the winter holidays so much more nicely.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yes, even the hardcore fiscal conservative has a heart.

I think enforced holidays is a really good thing. It is the enforcement that makes it a holiday.

So, for example, for observant Jews, the Sabbath is a cornerstone of family life. Your life may be a total disaster, but come Friday afternoon, rich man or poor, relaxation and family life sets in because there's not a damn thing you can do about it until the Sabbath is out.

In Quebec we used to have the "Lord's Day Act" until not that long ago. Sunday, everything was closed.

"I know it looks like she cheated on you but don't go and do anything crazy, now."

"What can I possibly do on a Sunday?"


Family life is just so busy now that an extra day to do one's shopping is invaluable. I love twenty-four hour stores. I think perhaps the question ought to be why things got so busy. I'm quite ambivalent about the whole thing.
.

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
School starting soon! Better read a lot of 'fun' books now.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yes, even the hardcore fiscal conservative has a heart.
We can learn a lot from our brother's from the north.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yes, even the hardcore fiscal conservative has a heart.
isaacc wrote:
I think enforced holidays is a really good thing. It is the enforcement that makes it a holiday.

So, for example, for observant Jews, the Sabbath is a cornerstone of family life. Your life may be a total disaster, but come Friday afternoon, rich man or poor, relaxation and family life sets in because there's not a damn thing you can do about it until the Sabbath is out.


I certainly agree. I swear, sometimes, our clients wait until my personal scheduled vacations before they blow up with any issue they can possibly escalate (actually, several of them do, because they can use that as a negotiating tactic to try to get some of their money RMA'd by complaining about "how unresponsive the consultant was - look at all these emails and voice mails he took days to answer" and one of the reasons company policy is that we now have to notify everyone at every organization we do business with at least 4 weeks, then again 3 weeks, then again 2 weeks, before we take any vacation days...oh, and put the dates of our planned vacations in the footer of every email we send for the final 2 weeks before the scheduled date.)

It makes Thanksgiving (almost always including the day after) one of the few times I really feel like I have an actual vacation in the year...because EVERYBODY'S OFFICE IS CLOSED. Nobody can do any work, so it's actually a genuinely relaxing day.

More things like that would be very welcome.

isaacc wrote:
I think perhaps the question ought to be why things got so busy.


Uhhh...because you can make more money, and faster, that way? And since we obsessively worship the collection of money as the only really worthwhile activity in life...
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
phosrik wrote:
So I think it blows that Black Friday sales are actually starting at 8pm on Thanksgiving Day now. At this rate, it will only be a few more years before businesses don't even bother to close on Thanksgiving and you can kiss your big family get together goodbye. I felt sorry enough for the employees that are missing out on Thanksgiving dinner that I made a petition against the practice. Yes, even the hardcore fiscal conservative has a heart..


But this practice will only harm the working poor, while increasing convenience for the well-off. You're blowing my narrative, here, dude!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

I think enforced holidays is a really good thing. It is the enforcement that makes it a holiday.

So, for example, for observant Jews, the Sabbath is a cornerstone of family life. Your life may be a total disaster, but come Friday afternoon, rich man or poor, relaxation and family life sets in because there's not a damn thing you can do about it until the Sabbath is out.

In Quebec we used to have the "Lord's Day Act" until not that long ago. Sunday, everything was closed.

"I know it looks like she cheated on you but don't go and do anything crazy, now."

"What can I possibly do on a Sunday?"


Family life is just so busy now that an extra day to do one's shopping is invaluable. I love twenty-four hour stores. I think perhaps the question ought to be why things got so busy. I'm quite ambivalent about the whole thing.
.



It got busy because everyone has to work an extra day a week so the people with busy lives can get the stuff they need because they have less time now because they have to work an extra day and. . .

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So there are somethings (such as ensuring workers get holidays) that big business cannot be trusted to do?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
phosrik wrote:
So I think it blows that Black Friday sales are actually starting at 8pm on Thanksgiving Day now. At this rate, it will only be a few more years before businesses don't even bother to close on Thanksgiving and you can kiss your big family get together goodbye. I felt sorry enough for the employees that are missing out on Thanksgiving dinner that I made a petition against the practice. Yes, even the hardcore fiscal conservative has a heart. Please sign and share if you agree.

http://wh.gov/9h0K

It needs 150 signatures before it becomes searchable. Yes, I realize that it's mostly symbolic and probably won't amount to anything but hey, I tried.


Suck it. I've worked many a Thanksgiving. And this upcoming one will be no different.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
So there are somethings (such as ensuring workers get holidays) that big business cannot be trusted to do?


The invisible hand only helps labor when there is a labor shortage. When there is a surplus, the invisible hand is very good at smacking us around.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I think most retail stores do time and a half for holidays, maybe some employees don't mind so much... and, you can always just push dinner earlier (a lot of people eat at like 3 or 4 so working at 8 isn't that crazy). I know my brother used to have to work the black Friday sales at Radio Shack and the like and he didn't seem to mind too much, other than getting up at like 3 am for the early ones because nobody likes getting up early and working a 12 hr shift.

If you have to wake up at 3 am for work you're gonna be going to bed at 8 pm anyway.

I think all the black friday stuff is stupid, but I don't really care because I don't do serious shopping and I don't work retail. The crazy lines to get into the parking lot at the outlet stores on the way back from my grandma's house are kind of silly, but at least they only jam up 1 of 2 lanes (so you drive by and you're like "what is this 2 mile traffic jam in one lane? wtf? And then you realize they're all trying to get into the stupid outlet stores)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alexiscarlough wrote:
Since I think most retail stores do time and a half for holidays, maybe some employees don't mind so much... and, you can always just push dinner earlier (a lot of people eat at like 3 or 4 so working at 8 isn't that crazy). I know my brother used to have to work the black Friday sales at Radio Shack and the like and he didn't seem to mind too much, other than getting up at like 3 am for the early ones because nobody likes getting up early and working a 12 hr shift.

If you have to wake up at 3 am for work you're gonna be going to bed at 8 pm anyway.

I think all the black friday stuff is stupid, but I don't really care because I don't do serious shopping and I don't work retail. The crazy lines to get into the parking lot at the outlet stores on the way back from my grandma's house are kind of silly, but at least they only jam up 1 of 2 lanes (so you drive by and you're like "what is this 2 mile traffic jam in one lane? wtf? And then you realize they're all trying to get into the stupid outlet stores)


My family usually eats lunch. And when I worked T-day at Walmart many moons ago, it was actually a slow day, not a lot going on. But they weren't doing Black Friday either.

But many people work holidays. The movies are always open, bowling alleys, some restaurants, gas station attendants, police/fire/ems, doctors, nurses, professional athletes, so its not that unusual.

Besides, I'm sure next year you won't have to worry about it because black friday will be the week before halloween.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
phosrik wrote:
At this rate, it will only be a few more years before businesses don't even bother to close on Thanksgiving and you can kiss your big family get together goodbye.
GASP!
Are you trying to tell me that traditions... CHANGE... OVER TIME?!?!?!
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!1!!!!!11!!!!!



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to Capitalism! Try it out! You might like it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
So there are somethings (such as ensuring workers get holidays) that big business cannot be trusted to do?


The invisible hand only helps labor when there is a labor shortage. When there is a surplus, the invisible hand is very good at smacking us around.


If I remember that guys argument correctly, that's like natures way of telling you to breed less indiscriminately. Smith viewed wages as being the regulator of population. High wages allowed people to support more children, which naturally increased the supply of labour bringing wages down to equilibrium. Low wages meant fewer children, causing wages to rise. Wages would tend towards their equilibrium level.

Malthus on the other hand viewed it as a process of breeding eating up the improvements in the living standard, unleashing a nightmare of marginal subsistence. He failed to see the demographic shift coming.

What happened is that the economy underwent a paradigm shift into a period of sustained growth as the negative feedback cycles which had limited growth to brief episodes in the past were removed, allowing for steady increases in the standard of living. Combined with technology and other factors, this led to a decline in the optimum number of children and an approximately steady population size.

Anyways

If you want the invisible hand to sort your wages, you need to manufacture a labour shortage. I suggest you open an abortion clinic or five.
Or move away from a credit based culture, so that people only spend the money they have.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Or move away from a credit based culture, so that people only spend the money they have.


So that's investment out then?
Well how many people borrow to invest?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

Welcome to Capitalism! Try it out! You might like it!


Capitalism?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
muntmeister wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

Welcome to Capitalism! Try it out! You might like it!


Capitalism?


Is that a shirt?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
muntmeister wrote:
49xjohn wrote:

Welcome to Capitalism! Try it out! You might like it!


Capitalism?
Yes, you know anything that is good for business is good for people.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.