Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zeke
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have fond memories of playing Liftoff!and am wondering how 1969 stacks up. I notice it takes about 1/3 as long, and I consider that a good thing, as Liftoff always seemed to suck up the better part of an evening.

Anyway, if anyone has played both I would love your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played many games of Liftoff - although it sometimes takes too many hours to play, I still love that game!

I played 1969 only once, but as opposed to Liftoff, it is much, much more Euro. You buy little cubes, you put little cubes on your display. Your roll the dice and do a little math. Play some cards and go to the next turn.

The only thing that feels a little like Liftoff is the dice rolling. I remember rolling Liftoff missions with incredible space junk - sometimes it worked, sometimes I went down in flames! Schadenfreude from the other players. Yeee-haws when your capsule made the docking maneuver. There's nothing like that in 1969. Basically it's roll 5 dice, subtract the red ones from the green ones and move your rocket upwards.

How does it compare, you ask?

It does not stand a chance! But it is a different game. You can play it in 30 or 45 minutes. And the topic is still the same - land the first man on the moon! And another advantage: this one I can play with my wife meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After one play I didn't feel it had much in common with Liftoff!. Maybe at first, but that quickly went away. True, you are researching components to perform missions to improve your moon landing mission, but it just didn't have that tension that is core to Liftoff!, the knowledge that any roll might be a 99 and set your program back three years.

I have a friend who loves the Space Race and I would absolutely recommend this game to him, but if the theme doesn't grab you, it's just another Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.