Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I love new games. I love getting them, unwrapping them, punching them, baggying them, organizing them, making them all pretty. I like reading the rulebook on my commute. All these things that would annoy me normally, I find calming. When I sleeved my copy of Mage Knight, all 200+ cards, I sat there for 90 minutes and I was just calmly sleeving the cards, relaxed, no music.

So why do I find it so hard to read the rules for games I don't own? There are games I want to buy, games I want to play on yucata/BGA, and I can't freaking get it together enough to learn the games. My big success is Troyes, a fantastic game I want to buy thanks to playing it online.

How do you folks handle researching games you don't own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am totally with you. I am never able to get myself to read rules pre-purchase. I usually read through some threads about the game to see what the general feel for the game is. Then I talk to the local board game store workers. They are good at steering me in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're attempting to read them on a screen, I can understand your reluctance. What I've been doing recently is downloading the rulebooks of games that interest me and then printing them double-sided using only black ink rather than full colour (in order to save both paper and ink). It's almost as good as having the real thing in hand, and it gives me plenty of bedtime reading material!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Been printing some games as well! Did so with Troyes, Wealth of Nations (now own it), and Glen More just the other day. Maybe I should do so with one of the Feld games available online....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you can watch the game being played on youtube. You can get the gist of the rules and watch how the players do their turns. It's not going to give you every detail but it's a good way to research a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, why read the rules when you can watch the movie?

But seriously, I do like to watch youtube videos on games and try to find more than one viewpoint on any given game I might be interested in. I also look at various threads on these boards. With a variety of views, thoughts, and other information I can often narrow down my choices to a good few games I want to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the opposite!

I had downloaded the Zombicide PDF rulebook, read it, inwardly digested it, and was answering rules questions before the game even shipped!

But, with Flash Point: Fire Rescue I don't even know if the rules are available online, and even if they were I know I'd still not read them that way, 'cos I've got the game, and I've only read the Family rules thus far, suspect there parts of that I've missed, and would be very wary about answering any rules questions!

And it's not that Flash Point's rules are more complex, or badly written - in fact Zombicide's are almost certainly more complex, and they're probably as well written as each other, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
squash wrote:
If you're attempting to read them on a screen, I can understand your reluctance. What I've been doing recently is downloading the rulebooks of games that interest me and then printing them double-sided using only black ink rather than full colour (in order to save both paper and ink). It's almost as good as having the real thing in hand, and it gives me plenty of bedtime reading material!

Yep. I can't read on the computer. Prefer the lack of color too.

But, I don't learn much by just reading rules. Gotta see how it
all holds together, and at least move a few pieces around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will always prefer reading a paper copy of a rulebook, but I have found reading .pdf files on my ipad to be much better than staring at a computer monitor. As such, I have been pre-reading some rule books lately.
It also helps that I can read a rulebook on my ipad and people assume that I'm working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Ralf
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asking myself the same question the other day. I can just sit down and read rulebooks of games I own all day (when I don't know the rules yet) but for stuff like Yucata, I find myself bored so easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

Bung them on my wishlist with a comment stating my intentions to read the rule book and hope that santa believes me

In truth I generally look at a box I find interesting on the shelf and take that one home with me....I bought Rex: Final Days of an Empire because the box was bright yellow.

I am currently resisting Ark & Noah as its a bright green box with animals on sat at the front of the game shelf in my FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:

When I went to bed last night I counted the number of printed rulebooks I had lying next to the bed. There were 16, as well as a few other expansion rulebooks. And I've also got about 10 others stored with my game collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Farrell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Ok, I love new games. I love getting them, unwrapping them, punching them, baggying them, organizing them, making them all pretty. I like reading the rulebook on my commute. All these things that would annoy me normally, I find calming. When I sleeved my copy of Mage Knight, all 200+ cards, I sat there for 90 minutes and I was just calmly sleeving the cards, relaxed, no music.

So why do I find it so hard to read the rules for games I don't own? There are games I want to buy, games I want to play on yucata/BGA, and I can't freaking get it together enough to learn the games. My big success is Troyes, a fantastic game I want to buy thanks to playing it online.

You seriously just described my gaming life! I hate learning games that aren't mine. I don't know why...

I would suggest YouTube like others have. It really is a great resource when a bunch of people have posted videos of how the game works and their personal thoughts on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think when you've had a chance to see and feel the components it becomes much easier to understand the rules, as they tend to be describing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.