Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb

One of our mad dog drivers enters from the left, following the yellow line, and hits the jump after the stream in fifth gear. Assume no hazard symbols are rolled, and they shoot forwards two spaces, missing the corner.

How do they recover, and get back on course? Is this one of the situations where you must drop to first gear, and do a U-turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Bouvier
France
Saint-Didier en Velay
Auvergne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Fantastic trajectory !!!
Yes you must do here a U-turn as wrtten in the rules :

Be careful not to go the wrong direction ! If this
happens you must downshift to gear 1, make a halfturn
on the square reached, and set out again (in the
same turn if the ‘2’ die or acceleration dice are available,
otherwise on the following turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jean-Christophe. So, no penalty, and it is possible to do it deliberately, to possibly find a fast line?

5 (jump) - 1 (U turn) - 2 (corner) - 3 - 4 - G - G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
Thanks Jean-Christophe. So, no penalty, and it is possible to do it deliberately, to possibly find a fast line?

5 (jump) - 1 (U turn) - 2 (corner) - 3 - 4 - G - G

I don't think the downshift to 1st gear is instantaneous. If you overshoot in 5th gear, you are going to have to proceed the wrong way for as many moves as it takes to get down to 1st gear, then make the U-turn in 1st.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke, yep, I think I agree with you. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Bouvier
France
Saint-Didier en Velay
Auvergne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you must reduce your speed by downshifting one by one or two by two or combined : 5-4-3-2-1 or 5-3-1 or 5-4-2-1 ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcbouvier wrote:
Of course you must reduce your speed by downshifting one by one or two by two or combined : 5-4-3-2-1 or 5-3-1 or 5-4-2-1 ....

Hm, actually that's what I thought (although I didn't play Dirt often enough to make this happen). However, I couldn't figure out what happens when the track in that direction ends before you get to 1st gear....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add another board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Bouvier
France
Saint-Didier en Velay
Auvergne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
jcbouvier wrote:

Hm, actually that's what I thought (although I didn't play Dirt often enough to make this happen). However, I couldn't figure out what happens when the track in that direction ends before you get to 1st gear....

blush never thought ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd say it's reasonable for the person who is going off the board to choose what board to add to the map. That player is already in a really bad position, and the choice doesn't really help them all that much, as they still have to make the U-turn to get back into the race anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.