Dominion: Seaside» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tactician and Tunnel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Tonight, I happened to have a super hand containing Ironworks, Caravan, Copper, Tunnel, and a Tactician in my hand. I played the Ironworks, gained a card, played my Caravan, drew a card--another Tunnel, then played my Tactician and discarded my hand. Since the instructions to discard were on the Tactician card and therefore my discard wasn't part of clean-up, I took that to mean that the discard of my 2 tunnels gained me 2 Golds on the spot. I drew 5 cards and then at the beginning of my next turn, drew an additional 6 cards (5 for the Tactician and 1 for the Caravan).

Would everyone agree with me as to how I interpreted and played that?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That is correct. Tactician/Tunnel can be a nice combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You can use Tunnel in this way, also in response to attacks that force a discard (Militia, torturer, spy, minion, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:
You can use Tunnel in this way, also in response to attacks that force a discard (Militia, torturer, spy, minion, etc)

The most unexpected use I found was Tunnel + Golem. If you have few enough Action cards you can discard your entire deck and gain tons of Gold.

I don't actually think either Tunnel + Tactician or Tunnel + Golem are great combos though. Both Tactician and Golem are cards that tend to work best with Action chains rather than with Big Money type decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we're in the Seaside forum, I'm going to assume Larry's question is more about Tactician than Tunnel.

Yes, discarding your hand to Tactician is considered outside your Cleanup phase. In your example (as is often the case) discarding left you with no coin to spend, so you proceeded directly to Cleanup. But you could have bought Copper/Curse if you had wanted to, and coin from played actions would have still been available. Or maybe you managed the infamous Black Market combo and played your treasure before Tactician, or maybe Tactician was played by a Golem that also found a Library so you can draw back up. These things happen.

Short version: Tactician doesn't end your turn, it just usually effectively ends it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
The Chaz wrote:

The most unexpected use I found was Tunnel + Golem. If you have few enough Action cards you can discard your entire deck and gain tons of Gold.

I don't actually think either Tunnel + Tactician or Tunnel + Golem are great combos though. Both Tactician and Golem are cards that tend to work best with Action chains rather than with Big Money type decks.

I built a deck once with Golem, 1 other action (I forget which, but I want to say it was a gainer like Ironworks or Workshop that allowed me to pick up more Tunnels), and loaded up on Tunnels. It is a killer combo. Don't know that it works against all boards, but it really destroyed either of my opponents' strategies on that particular board. I think I had 4 or 5 Tunnels pretty quickly, so every time Golem hit it was +4 or 5 Golds minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vid Dles
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
pinkymadigan wrote:
banyan wrote:
The Chaz wrote:

I built a deck once with Golem, 1 other action (I forget which, but I want to say it was a gainer like Ironworks or Workshop that allowed me to pick up more Tunnels), and loaded up on Tunnels. It is a killer combo. Don't know that it works against all boards, but it really destroyed either of my opponents' strategies on that particular board. I think I had 4 or 5 Tunnels pretty quickly, so every time Golem hit it was +4 or 5 Golds minimum.

That would be really nice if your one other action was a Smithy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
viddy wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
banyan wrote:
The Chaz wrote:

That would be really nice if your one other action was a Smithy.

Council Room would probably be best for the +buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.