Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use the shrimp license to apply your money bonus to an auction, can you again use it to launch a ship? We played that you could only use the power in either/or, once per round. Reading the rule though, it states the discount is off every transaction. Which is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why wouldn't the rules be correct? You get the discount on every transaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is powerful. I had two licenses, giving me a $2 discount twice (auction and launch) per turn! That seemed like too much....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavalry Man wrote:
Wow, that is powerful. I had two licenses, giving me a $2 discount twice (auction and launch) per turn! That seemed like too much....

A lot of people have come to the conclusion that the Processing Vessel is too powerful. I think it goes to show that they're all really powerful in different ways, and consequently pretty well balanced.

It is pretty easy to fall into a particular line of thinking about strategy in this game, only to have someone here on BGG suggest yet another really good strategy.

Keep digging!! There's still more to see.

edit: fixed a typo due to auto-correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a first-turn Processing Vessel license strategy and got crushed. I then tried a first-turn Tuna license strategy and got crushed. I think they all suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shrimp boat launching cost is 1. But why? For launching it you must have at least one shrimp license, so it is always free. Did I miss something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
Shrimp boat launching cost is 1. But why? For launching it you must have at least one shrimp license, so it is always free. Did I miss something?

Not missing anything. Launching a Shrimp boat costs $1, but you have a $1 off from the Shrimp license.

Are you asking why not just put $0 for the launch cost on the shrimp boats? There's a couple reasons. One is to keep the symmetry on the cards that launch cost is the same as VP, and Shrimp boats have 1 VP.

The second reason was to leave open any future variant or promo option where with a certain power you might be able to launch a boat without the particular license. In that scenario, though currently not existing or even planned, the Shrimp boat cost of $1 could someday apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a further clarification, let's say I had a shrimp license and a cod license (allowing me to launch 2 boats during the L/C phase), and I decided to launch two shrimp boats. By applying the literal rule, both transactions are free(?) since I get a discount of 1 gold per launch cost?

Does anyone see this as too powerful, or apply a house rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LittleBiwwy wrote:
As a further clarification, let's say I had a shrimp license and a cod license (allowing me to launch 2 boats during the L/C phase), and I decided to launch two shrimp boats. By applying the literal rule, both transactions are free(?) since I get a discount of 1 gold per launch cost?

Shrimp is powerful, but with the expansion Char is actually more powerful IMO. There are also other ways to gain money once you get your hands on other cards and promos..such as Gone Fishing, Houseboat, etc. Once you have these Licences are randomized and shrimp may not even come out.

No need to houserule it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LittleBiwwy wrote:

You are playing it correctly, both transactions Are free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt. Awesome game btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LittleBiwwy wrote:
Thanks Matt. Awesome game btw.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.