Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Ripley
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four of us sat down to play Snowdonia at the Hemel games club; David, Hazel, Kate and myself. Hazel and I had played once before while David and Kate had not. Fortunately Tony Boydell was playing a game of Keyflower on the adjacent table so was available for any rules queries.

1st Half (rain, rain, rain, rain, fog, fog)
The weather in Snowdonia was uniformly horrible with the first four weather tiles being rain and the next two fog. Everyone concentrated on acquiring resources and cards, making steel and buying an engine. I went for No. 7 Ralph that allows an extra track to be built as I had cards giving points for tracks. David went for No. 1 L.A.D.A.S. (is this pronounced lard ass?) that allows for more rubble to be built. Hazel went for No. 3 Wyddfa that allows for an additional resource cube to be taken. Kate went for No. 4 Snowdon for a nice and simple extra 9 victory points. Hardly any rubble clearing or building actions were performed during this period and even the game itself was not inclined to make much of an effort as the event cubes were reluctant to appear from the bag.

2nd Half (sun, sun, sun)
Then the sun came out and stayed out, drying out the land until the workers could operate at maximum efficiency. Everyone started feeding coal to the extra workers in the pub and the race to build track was well and truly on. Even the game responded to the good weather as multiple event cubes came out clearing rubble and building track and stations.

On the third and final round of sun I was set, having acquired three steel bars and with Ralph I could build three tracks in one action. The game's own track building efforts had also resulted in three high-value tracks to be next in line for building. I was able to claim the first of the track building spaces to guarantee those tracks for myself. With the game having cleared out all of the rubble off the tracks both Hazel and Kate also elected to build track that round and used their other actions to make sure they had steel available. Having seen that all this track building was going to finish the game I used my remaining actions to acquire points by building in a station and acquiring a card. David in the meantime had not realised how quickly the game was about to end and used a card to acquire all of the coal, which was of no use at this point. In hindsight he would have pushed up his surveyor, as he had a card giving a bonus for that, though it wouldn't have affected the overall standings.

In the end I had a comfortable win, helped by the three lots of bonus points from the cards I had. The total requirements of 3 pieces of track, 6 rubble and 3 station spaces was efficiently met by my 3 pieces of track, 8 rubble and 4 station spaces.

David had pushed his surveyor up, as he had a card giving a bonus to that, but was well short of the top due to the rapid end of the game. He had also collected rubble for bonus points.

Hazel had trouble remembering to use her engines ability to collect extra cubes that, given the effort required to build an engine, did not result in an efficient game for her.

For Kate, being very new to the game, this was more of a learning experience.

The final scores were me 72, Hazel 59, David 43 and Kate 40.

Thoughts after the game

As a player you really need to keep an eye on what's happening with the track. Once the track has been cleared of rubble it can very rapidly get built to end the game, especially if the weather is good.

I'm unsure if buying an engine is worthwhile. Certainly for me in this game more effort was put into building an engine than I gained out of it. That may be because the game ended so quickly or I wasn't able to maximise the use of its ability. It's something to bear in mind in the future.

The game took about 2 hours to play including set up and rules explanation.

I definitely want to play this again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Fortunately Tony Boydell was playing a game of Keyflower on the adjacent table so was available for any rules queries.

Ah, you guys did'n need liddle ol'me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlequinlite wrote:

Hazel had trouble remembering to use her engines ability to collect extra cubes that, given the effort required to build an engine, did not result in an efficient game for her.

I had the same problem last monday!
And to add to my inefficiency I ended up with 9 unused stone!

Still won with 8 points, so my two opponents must have been really bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.