BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Where should we go now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Homeboy
Denmark
flag msg tools
Hi BGG.

We are a group of five, who enjoy playing board games. We currently have three games, which are King of Chicago, Small World and Carcassonne (where Small World and Carcassonne ar the two most played).
We are looking for a couple of new games to our next trip to the cottage. We mainly play when we are there, and that means we often play the most of a weekend.
We like thematic games and player-to-player action.
We have been talking about some different games - well at least some kinds of games.

We want a deckbuilding game. Here we have talked about Thunderstone, Dominion and Nightfall. We are aware that we might need expansions in order to play all five.

We are also looking for a deeper and longer gameplay. We have talked about Merchant & Marauders, A Game of Thrones, Mage Knight and Twillight Imperium.

Other games we have talked about: Lords of Waterdeep (since most of us have played a lot of AD&D and Baldurs Gate), Arkham Horror, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Quarriors!, Citadels and Puerto Rico.

I would like some recommendations on some of the games. And please keep in mind that we are a group that have been friends since childhood and mostly play in a small cottage within the deep woods of Sweden.

Thank you a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are driving, and Göteborg is on your way, you could drop by Spelets Hus and we could show you all of those games -- except for Thunderstone, because I don't think we have that. You'd be most welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Homeboy
Denmark
flag msg tools
Göteborg is not on our way - unfortunately. The only larger city we will pass is Malmö, so we might aswell buy the game in Copenhagen. Thanks for your reply anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spelets Hus is not a store -- it is space that we rent so that people can drop in and play all sorts of games, pretty much whenever they want. We store our games there, of course.

I can recommend all of
Lords of Waterdeep,
Arkham Horror,
Ticket to Ride,
Pandemic,
Citadels and Puerto Rico.

Ticket to Ride is by far the lightest of these, so if you are looking for deeper and longer than Smallworld and Carcasonne, well, I don't think that it is there. Puerto Rico and Citadels have the least amount of theme, but the theme in LoW isn't all that deep either. If Smallworld doesn't have enough theme, then these have less, and so won't be a good fit.
None of these games, aside from Citadels, is very strong in player interaction.

I've never played Quarriors.

Merchant & Marauders,
A Game of Thrones,
Mage Knight and Twillight Imperium will all give you a lot longer gameplay, and a lot more theme.

If I were planning for 5, I would make sure to take Navegador and Glory to Rome, not on your list. But the list you have is very good -- take any or all of these and you will have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a group of five, like player interaction and are looking for a longer game, I strongly recommend you take a look at "Battlestar Galactica".

Ticket to Ride - Interesting light game. Would definitely fit well with Small World and Carcassonne.
Pandemic - Classic co-op. Much shorter than AH. I found it very addictive in the beginning. These days... not so much anymore (unfortunately)
Quarriors! and Dominion - Both didn't really excite me but maybe Deck Building simply isn't my genre.
Puerto Rico - Very tense game. Interesting and very low on luck but simply too long for my folks.
Citadels - Good classic game. Puts more emphasis on choosing a role and figuring out what role other players have picked.

Libertalia - Takes Citadels up to 11 with almost 3 times as many roles to choose from.

Also of interest to you might be "7 Wonders"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a group of 5, you might look at . . .

Lord of the Rings
Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals (this turns a great game into an all time great)
Midgard
Iliad (card drafting)
The Dwarf King (b/c every group needs a trick-taking game)
Citadels (lots of player interaction)
Beowulf: The Legend (listed as playing "best with 5"; an auction game)

And, for the ultimate one versus all experience, I suggest Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
based on the games that you said you were looking at I would say Merchants and Marauders. It is a great game and I think considering that you are off to play in a cabin in the woods you will have plenty of time to really get into it and enjoy it. As thematic games go I think this is near the top of the list. It plays way better with the more players you play with.

As for Lords of Waterdeep, I wouldn't base an decisions on the "D&D" factor. I find that they could have used just about any theme and had the same game. The "D&D" theme I think is more a gimmick to cash in on the D&D crowd. It is a good worker placement game and it is also fun with more players. Based on the games you have I would say it is a sensible addition.

If I was putting out games you aren't listing I would say take a look at Cyclades and Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick note - Quarriors only plays up to four, even including the expansions. While it's a fun game (if you acknowledge that it's random, and not the deepest game), if you are regularly playing with 5, I would not recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.