A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Tyrell Needs Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A G
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Here's the situation. We have a six player game planned for this Sunday. The Houses have already been assigned and some alliances have started to take shape. I would like to hear your strategic advice, given the current military and diplomatic landscape.

I'm playing as Tyrell. I have a negotiated a deal with Martell according to which we will keep to our respective sides of the line that runs between Three Towers and Prince's Pass, The Dornish Marches and The Boneway, The Reach and Kingswood, Blackwater and King's Landing, and so on (though we have no deals that pertain to the sea). Now, even though our agreement is rather extensive, I suspect Martell will keep the peace until she is really painted into a corner.

Greyjoy and Lannister apparently have an alliance as well and I have strong reasons to think that Lannister is setting his sights south rather than east, whereas Greyjoy will attempt to attack Winterfell from the sea. I do not know exactly how extensive the agreement between Greyjoy and Lannister is (e.g. if it is merely a non-aggression pact, if it only extends to certain areas of the map, if it has a time limit, etc.). I do know from experience, however, that Greyjoy sees value in staying true to her promises even if it entails some tactical disadvantages. Lannister, on the other hand, does not. I suspect he will betray Grejoy as soon as he thinks it conducive to his cause.

Baratheon is currently the only one who has no diplomatic ties to any other House. In light of my deal with Martell and the alliance between the Kraken and the Lion, we can reasonably expect him to negotiate some sort of deal with Stark--though it might turn out to be quite limited since Stark seems somewhat wary of extensive agreements.

Finally, perhaps it should be mentioned that all are fairly experienced players except Martell, who has played the game only once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bobby
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It seems that you are actually in a pretty good position. Tyrell really needs to keep their head down and acquire power for the first few turns so that they can get a more favourable position on the Kings Court track (I think it's nearly impossible to win the game without at least one Star to play with).

With this in mind, you should observe the netral zones with Martell and engage in secret communications with both Baratheon and Lannister. Place troops in the Reach so that you can support either Baratheon or Lannister (they are also handy to reinforce Highgarden) and split your support "for the sake of balance".

If you play it right you should have a grateful Martell that can only go North via Baratheon (or stuck in the corner doing nothing). When Lannister shows their true colours and attacks Greyjoy be ready to take control of the middle of the board (it might help to point out any weaknesses in Greyjoy defence to Lannister once you have had a Clash of Kings). Baratheon should be encouraged to fight Martell at this juncture ("Martell has been amassing troops at your border!") Help Martell kick Baratheon out of the seas with the Queen of Thorns and you should have an inexperienced and overstretched neighbour to attack should things not go well. My aim would be to have Highgarden, Oldtown, The Reach, King's Landing, Storm's End, Cracklaw Point and either Starfall or Harrenhall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input MatCauthonReborn! You make some interesting points.

As I said though, Lannister is much more likely to go south rather than east. How aggressive should I be at the beginning of the game? Lannister has a lot of special orders to play and I'm nervous about him getting a big head start. One way of slowing him down would of course be to mount smaller attacks against Lannisport, while collecting taxes and hoping that we will soon get to bid on the influence tracks. That seems very risky though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zadok Allen
msg tools
mbmb
I'd say you ought to secure your treaty with Martell. Him stabbing you is the worst case. Hence I would not do anything that threatens Martell - not even giving hints aiming against him.
Fortify and bite your time until CoK gives you special orders or until Lannister/Martell engage their respective enemies.
If Lannister engages Greyjoy you could possibly attack him. Greyjoy won't like you to attack with ships, not unless the Lannisters fleet is superior. Ships would help you though. Deploy your troops and recruitments (if any) according to your diplomatic standing with Greyjoy. Maybe he helps you without asking for much. After all he doesn't want to fight Starks and Lannister simultaneously.

You could also stab Martell once he attacks Baratheon and uses Doran. It is not advisable though. Not as long as Lannister remains undecided. Fighting Martell AND Lannister is not an option after all.

Third option seems to be helping Martell against Baratheon. This might not need you to commit overly- just some raids and supports. Strengthens Martell however who could still stab you. With luck and Martells consent you might get KL while displaying a proper defense against an attack on HG from Lannister. You want 4 castles and a quiet front if possible.

Wait for an opportunity and set up for a Loras rush to conquer 3 castles in one go and win. Obviously you ought to take the final castle from Martell. Baratheon and Lannister might go against you and Martell might stab you before you rush, which is why you can't engage in prolongued warfare.

Our last Tyrell won like this, skirmishing against Baratheon and Lannister without really committing, biting his time. Martell went against Baratheon. He needed 2 turns for his final Loras rush win but everyone else was too committed elsewhere to do anything about it. He was rather lucky though to profit from an early CoK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bobby
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
How did your game go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kokken Tor
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmb
Last game I played was with Tyrell, and I believe a good strategy with them is not to overextend yourself, and wait for an opportunity to gun for seven castles. I was doing well in my game, but because we had to prematurly end the game after six rounds I wasn't able to finish it.

Basically stay at four castles or something, save Queen of thorns, Loras and something else for your last cards, and build some siege engines. Start with a QoT suicide mission to remove crucial support or march orders, take a castle with Loras, fight another battle to cycle your hand and attack with Loras again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xinhao Xu
China
Shanghai
Shanghai
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the lastest game ended, Agot PBF #38, I was Tyrell and won by 7 castles.
I also allied with Martell. My advice is to muster ships first & to collect power tokens, then you can start to expend your border by controlling enimy's sea. Never attack Martell first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lannister going south against Highgarden is a suboptimal strategy for Lannister. Highgarden can be supported by Oldtown, Redwyne, WSS, and the Reach. You should definitely own all of those by the end of round one or two, the only question is whether you can muster to Redwyne.

Plus, Lannister has to either mass in Searoad, or play a risky double march. Side note: The last time a Lannister tried to double march me as Tyrell ended in them getting Loras'd to Lannisport and losing 4 units thanks to supply. You also hold a card that can break the Lannister pentagon around Stoney Sept in QoT. Taking Searoad and Blackwater from an aggressive Lanni is very possible due to This. I did it last night to a Lanni who then went from 6 to 3 supply and had to destroy 2 additional units, while I went from 3 to 6 supply.

Basically, Lannister does not want to piss of Tyrell. Tyerll lands are highly defensible and his House cards are natural born killers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Kilhamn
msg tools
Not to argue with your point, but the real gut punch that consisted of losing troops to supply is not something you can count on delivering – you have to be lucky with the supply card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Xorile
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kokken Tor wrote:
... I was doing well in my game, but because we had to prematurly end the game after six rounds I wasn't able to finish it.

I made a template for saving an over the board game to be continued later: aGoT save game. Might be useful for you. Please give me feedback if it works for you! I think this is relatively common for this game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.