Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread, a question came up about the Bandage ability. It got me thinking, which is always bad because the rusty gears create sparks.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/872634

The rulebook states:
"The Medic squad, and any squad in the same hex as at least one medic squad, gains +1 cover against normal attacks."

The rules are somewhat clear, but there is some wiggle room for another possible interpretation. So, I sent FFG a question, and in return, I got a response (answer) back from Rob Kouba at FFG.

The Question:
I just have a quick question about Medics and the "Bandage" ability. If you have three squads each with their own Medic specialization (a total of three in one hex) out in open terrain, what is the total cover bonus from "Bandage" for the squads when attacked (normal attacks, not suppressive attacks)?

1) Is it +1 cover because there is "at least one medic squad" in the same hex?

2) Is it +3 cover because there are a total of three Medic specializations in the same hex?

3) Or is it +1 x 3 x 3 for a total of +9?

The Answer:
Alas it is the first one (only +1 to each unit in hex). Better to spread the wealth across the line!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably how I would play it (never had that many medics to try) although I could see option 2 getting used if we were a bit tired when thinking about it.

I think they did their best to explain the rule with the "at least one medic squad" part of the sentence, trying to indicate that the +1 was based on the presence of medic(s) rather than how many. But we all know if you want something to be exact then you have to use lawyers and make it either too long or unreadable .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to approach rules that may have abiguity in such a way that the simplest interpretation is probably the right one. In this case, the '+1' is the right call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In all the games I have played, somewhere around 50ish I would think, I have never used the medic to replenish a squad. I have used the +1 cover, but never as an action roll a d6 and I think it is on 4+ you get to add one infantry to a depleted squad in the same hex.

Do you use this ability?

Come off it Ray, you knew the answer before you sent the question, just being the devils advocate here methinks. Or, perhaps you are on a one man's quest to bombard FFG with questions so they think there is a need to take a further look at the game and possibly further expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dutchy124 wrote:
In all the games I have played, somewhere around 50ish I would think, I have never used the medic to replenish a squad. I have used the +1 cover, but never as an action roll a d6 and I think it is on 4+ you get to add one infantry to a depleted squad in the same hex.

Do you use this ability?

Come off it Ray, you knew the answer before you sent the question, just being the devils advocate here methinks. Or, perhaps you are on a one man's quest to bombard FFG with questions so they think there is a need to take a further look at the game and possibly further expansions?

Yes, I do use the heal ability, but it's then important that you have enough turns left to win the game to replenish te squad.Also if you have relatively few squads at your disposal it's important to keep the alive. Replenishing the medic squad itself is definitely something I use a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jenkins
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to use their healing ability a lot, but don't count on it to ork, just like handing a guy with multiple frags wounds a gun and saying, okay Private, on your feet. If I get an extra back, fine. If not, the Medic is still helping heal minor wounds. (+1 Def)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
As I see it, as long as the Medic squad is not needing to move, the Heal ability can be quite handy.

If the Medic squad itself is weakened down to one or two figures, using its next Action to fire at enemy squads can be fairly ineffective. The same is true for even three figures if firing at long range or into cover. In such predicaments, taking a 50/50 chance to convert a wounded troop back to an effective can make more sense.

Also, perhaps more advantageous than firing, is when the Medic squad might increase the strength of a another weakened squad (in the same hex) that you really need badly, such as an engineer, flamethrower or machinegun squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.