BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Christmas wishlist and recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teddy Le Meeple
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi to all the geeks out there,

because my relatives have asked for my Christmas wishes, I am currently think about it. Of course it shall be some awesome boardgames, what else? meeple

I have seen so many games in the last weeks, which I will probably really like, so it's not an easy decision...

Games, which seem to be really intersting for me:

-Arkham Horror
-Mage Knight
-Descent
-War of the Ring
-Race for the Galaxy

So as you can most of these games are more complex for longer sessions...But my friends and I are really interested in such kind of games.

So what would you like to get this year for Christmas?
And do you have some recommendations for me? The games I enjoy the most these days are: Ticket to Ride, Space Alert, 7 Wonders, Ghost Stories. So maybe I should also take a look at expanions for the games I already own.

Greetings from a fellow gamer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome.

I think your list looks great, and you should go with that. Any time you can say 'this looks really interesting' -- I think you should go with that!

New interesting games are better than expansions. Get an expansion when you look around and cannot find anything you don't have that looks interesting and isn't out of print -- or if the expansion makes the game playable for more people, and you would like to play this game in a larger group.

My .02 euros, anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort of agree with what Laura said about expansions with one exception. If a game is played a lot and still loved then a good expansion keeps it fresh. But it needs both of those things to trump the novelty of a new game experience.

As far as your list. Mage Knight is my favorite of favorites right now. But there is a catch. I only play it solo. For that, it's amazing. I don't know if I'd want to play it with others as I can imagine it being incredibly long between turns as you have a lot to consider on each turn.

Race for the Galaxy is a really good game that I come back to over and over again. I've only played it 2 person and with two poeple who know it well, it's a fast game. It really does feel like a race.

Can't comment on Descent as I don't have it and while I have War of the Ring and it looks incredible, I dont' have any people around me that I can get to play. I got it because of the books.

Arkham Horror is a lot of fun. I've played it with others, played it solo. It's always a good time. It's not easy to get everything down since there is a lot going on, but after a couple of games and a few re-reads of the rulebook it's not so bad. It is long though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My next game purchase will be Stone Age. Other games I would like to get for Christmas include:
-Galaxy Trucker
-Morels
-Puerto Rico
-Castles of Burgundy
-Dominion: Intrigue

For you, Race for the Galaxy is fun, and given the other games you are enjoying, I think you will like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.