Raber Jr.
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
We can stay inside and play games, I don't know...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing the 2nd edition rules yesterday and i'm used to 1st edition rules and i have a question about declaring oneself in Mordor and the whole process of getting into the Minus Morgul stronghold, etc...

Here's what happened and how i handled it:

The free peoples were in Lorien and had moved the fellowship 5 times without being revealed. On the sixth movement the fellowship was revealed. Since they had to physically move after being revealed, I moved them into Minus Morgul (it's six spaces from Lorien to Minus Morgul). At the beginning of the next turn I declared the fellowship in Mordor (I was still revealed). On my first action i used an action dice to hide the fellowship.

Did i do this correctly? I know the 1st edition was 'punishing' when it came to declaring the fellowship in Mordor and was rightfully changed. However, the way I played it above almost seemed to easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
You played it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Johansson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You still have to draw one extra Hunt tile though, for moving into a Shadow stronghold when being declared?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, of course, as per the normal rules. Declaration in Mordor happens on the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raber Jr.
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
We can stay inside and play games, I don't know...
mbmbmbmbmb
i drew another hunt tile when i ended my turn in Minus Morgul since i was revealed.

Are you saying that i should have drawn another hunt tile when i declared the fellowship in Mordor (since i was still revealed)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
No,

You drew one Hunt tile due to a successful Hunt roll (this tile revealed you), then you drew another one for ending the revealed movement in Minas Morgul. A total of two Hunt tiles.

No additional Hunt tile is drawn when moving onto the Mordor track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
raberjr wrote:
i drew another hunt tile when i ended my turn in Minus Morgul since i was revealed.

Are you saying that i should have drawn another hunt tile when i declared the fellowship in Mordor (since i was still revealed)?

Chapter VIII: The Fellowship of the Ring • 39 wrote:
The Fellowship in Shadow Strongholds
When the Fellowship is revealed, and its path traced from its last know position, if the Fellowship moves through, moves from, moves into, or remains stationary in a Shadow Stronghold still controlled by the Shadow player, then a Hunt Tile is immediately drawn as if a Hunt has been successful.

This drawing of a Hunt Tile is done only if the Fellowship is revealed by the Shadow player. Moreover, it is in addition to any other effects of a successful Hunt.
Frequently Asked Questions wrote:
Rulebook Clarifications

Page 39
The Fellowship in Shadow Strongholds
If the Fellowship's path is traced through more than one Shadow Stronghold (still controlled by the Shadow player) when it is revealed one Hunt Tile is drawn for each such Stronghold.

When the Fellowship was revealed by the Hunt for the Ring (Shadow player), and the Fellowship moved to a Shadow Stronghold (Minas Morgul), then an additional Hunt Tile is drawn.

If during the Fellowship Phase, the Free Peoples player declares the position of the Fellowship, and the Fellowship ends in a Shadow Stronghold, then an additional Hunt Tile is not drawn.

Chapter VIII: The Fellowship of the Ring • 38 wrote:
Fellowship Declares Its Own Position
If the Fellowship is Hidden (the Progress Counter shows the Hidden side up), its position can be declared by the Free Peoples player during the Fellowship Phase.
Chapter IX: The Hunt for the Ring • 43 wrote:
THE FELLOWSHIP IN MORDOR

. . .

If the Fellowship is in Minas Morgul or Morannon during a Fellowship Phase, the Free Peoples player may decide to enter Mordor. In this case, immediately proceed to the following steps (after fully resolving the declaration of the Fellowship's position, if necessary):

In your game, as the Fellowship had already been revealed in Mordor, a declaration of their position was unnecessary, and to do so would have required you to hide the fellowship before declaring their position, effectively burning an entire turn.

From what you've written, it sounds like you played correctly, but didn't fully understand these rules.

P.S. Sorry for all the edits, the formatting was never satisfactory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.