Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: What is your sleeving strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What is your sleeving strategy?
How do you plan on sleeving this game + all future expansions?
Sleeving all the cards
Just having a set of Dark Side and Light Side sleeves to use after deck building is complete
No sleeves at all
I'm a thrill seeker and surround my gaming table with open drink containers and no sleeves.
      181 answers
Poll created by dacool561


Also if you wanted to share, post what color scheme of sleeves you plan on using (single color/clear for all cards, 2 colors separating Dark and Light side cards).

I'm a sucker for sleeves so I will be sleeving everything and will be using Red and Blue sleeves for Dark and Light side respectively.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilcoxon
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be sleeving. I'm figuring color/art sleeves for the objectives (coded for LS or DS) and clear for the play by play cards
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like clear sleeves. The card art is nice - why cover it up?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't fully decided if I just want to leave everything unsleeved and then sleeve after deckbuilding is finished (enough sleeves for a LS and a DS deck, different color for the objectives) OR if I want to at least do like some Dominion players do (use cheap sleeves and put each full objective set in 1 sleeve). Though I would still need to fully sleeve after deckbuilding doing that but the cards would be more protected and would be easier to grab out objective sets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably going for the 2 colored sleeves for separation. I'm undecided about distinguishing my objective cards or not. They may just end up in clear sleeves.

My bigger concern is storage. Without any kind of dividers in the box I've been thinking of putting an entire OSet in a single sleeve for storage. Or I might end up creating my own dividers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be sleeving my decks in art sleeves that are specific to each deck, Han for smugglers & spies, Emperor for Sith, X-Wing Assault for Rebel Alliance etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toqtamish wrote:
I will be sleeving my decks in art sleeves that are specific to each deck, Han for smugglers & spies, Emperor for Sith, X-Wing Assault for Rebel Alliance etc.


IIRC from my GenCon demo, you can build decks that mix factions, so you may want to reconsider this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If they made cheaper, unlimited Star Wars Art Sleeves, I'd sleeve all my light side cards in Han Solo, and all my Dark Side cards in Boba Fett. As it stands, I'm just gonna use normal clear sleeves for this game.

I'm considering getting two each of the Han and Boba card sleeves, just for tournaments, but I don't even know if I'll get into tournaments.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
Toqtamish wrote:
I will be sleeving my decks in art sleeves that are specific to each deck, Han for smugglers & spies, Emperor for Sith, X-Wing Assault for Rebel Alliance etc.


IIRC from my GenCon demo, you can build decks that mix factions, so you may want to reconsider this.


Right but I think he means the sleeves will be matched to his affiliation card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
I like clear sleeves. The card art is nice - why cover it up?


If they sold sleeves that had the card backs on them, I'm totally in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm avoiding the Star Wars Art Sleeves because i'm weary that FFG will keep them in stock and print enough of them throughout the lifespan of this game. I don't want to start sleeving this game with them and come to a point where I can't buy them anymore and have to switch sleeves completely.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix1138 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:
I like clear sleeves. The card art is nice - why cover it up?


If they sold sleeves that had the card backs on them, I'm totally in.


I'm not trying to be contrary here, and I'm new to LCGs, so please fill me in: why wouldn't you just use clear if you like the card backs? Is there something inherently wrong with clear sleeves (e.g., are they frowned upon in tournament play)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:

I'm not trying to be contrary here, and I'm new to LCGs, so please fill me in: why wouldn't you just use clear if you like the card backs? Is there something inherently wrong with clear sleeves (e.g., are they frowned upon in tournament play)?


Anything past local tourneys usually requires sleeves. And as one of the reasons for those requirements it to prevent marking clear sleeves would not accomplish that goal, therefore they must also usually be solid backed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
houjix1138 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:
I like clear sleeves. The card art is nice - why cover it up?


If they sold sleeves that had the card backs on them, I'm totally in.


I'm not trying to be contrary here, and I'm new to LCGs, so please fill me in: why wouldn't you just use clear if you like the card backs? Is there something inherently wrong with clear sleeves (e.g., are they frowned upon in tournament play)?


I also want to sleeve my Dark decks in Light sleeves and vice-versa just to confuse people. whistle
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Quote:
What is your sleeving strategy?


Long sleeves in the winter, short sleeves in the summer.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Paulik
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
houjix1138 wrote:
polychrotid wrote:
I like clear sleeves. The card art is nice - why cover it up?


If they sold sleeves that had the card backs on them, I'm totally in.


I'm not trying to be contrary here, and I'm new to LCGs, so please fill me in: why wouldn't you just use clear if you like the card backs? Is there something inherently wrong with clear sleeves (e.g., are they frowned upon in tournament play)?


Some tournaments ban clear sleeves because your cards might be marked (intentionally or unintentionally) through wear.

Also, some people like the feel of the colored sleeves, which tend to me made of slightly different plastic than clear sleeves.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games also ban the use of graphic sleeves and only allow solid colored backs, as the images on graphic sleeves are not always even and have the potential for marking as well. Some also require you to change you sleeves regularly as the sleeves will show wear marks that can be construed as marked cards. Not sure what FFG policy on graphic sleeves are, but with the amount of ones that they sell, I'm sure they allow them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Paulik
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
houjix1138 wrote:
Some games also ban the use of graphic sleeves and only allow solid colored backs, as the images on graphic sleeves are not always even and have the potential for marking as well. Some also require you to change you sleeves regularly as the sleeves will show wear marks that can be construed as marked cards. Not sure what FFG policy on graphic sleeves are, but with the amount of ones that they sell, I'm sure they allow them.


I think at this point none of the FFG games are serious business enough to worry about it to that level. Magic tournaments make a big deal out of it because there's often money on the line, and in a large field playing for hundreds or thousands of dollars, the chances that someone will try to cheat go up pretty drastically.

No one is going to mark their deck to win a 12-person local tournament for promo cards or a playmat, as cool as those things are.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered with the bottom option. I've only sleeved a couple of decks and I hated it. Makes it impossible to shuffle properly and they always stick to the felt of my table. I've sleeved my Mage Wars, because those don't ever get shuffled and makes it easier to differentiate when you're casting stuff on other people. Since Star Wars has neither of these options, I'll stick with no sleeves, thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Paulik
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I answered with the bottom option. I've only sleeved a couple of decks and I hated it. Makes it impossible to shuffle properly and they always stick to the felt of my table. I've sleeved my Mage Wars, because those don't ever get shuffled and makes it easier to differentiate when you're casting stuff on other people. Since Star Wars has neither of these options, I'll stick with no sleeves, thank you.


It may be the brand of sleeves you're using. Good sleeves are easy to shuffle in (though admittedly you have to shuffle a little different than the standard short-edge riffle most people do with unsleeved decks), and they slide around and pick up beautifully on most any surface.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bestor
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll be using white sleeves for Light Side and black sleeves for Dark Side; shockingly off-the-wall, I know. I'll also be sleeving the Objectives different colors, a different one for each faction. The colors I'm thinking of using are:

Jedi - Brown
Rebel Alliance - Orange
Smugglers and Spies - Yellow
Sith - Red
Imperial Navy - Blue
Scum and Villainy - Green

That fits the color schemes FFG is using fairly well. Both Rebel and Sith use red, but I'd say the Rebel color is a slightly more orange shade, and orange fits for the color of the Rebel flight suits. Grey or silver might be a better color for Imperial Navy, but I don't own any sleeves in that color, so blue will have to do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshTheStampede wrote:
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I answered with the bottom option. I've only sleeved a couple of decks and I hated it. Makes it impossible to shuffle properly and they always stick to the felt of my table. I've sleeved my Mage Wars, because those don't ever get shuffled and makes it easier to differentiate when you're casting stuff on other people. Since Star Wars has neither of these options, I'll stick with no sleeves, thank you.


It may be the brand of sleeves you're using. Good sleeves are easy to shuffle in (though admittedly you have to shuffle a little different than the standard short-edge riffle most people do with unsleeved decks), and they slide around and pick up beautifully on most any surface.


I don't typically sleeve, but when I do I use Ultra-Pro. whistle

Is there a better option out there?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Dragon shields:

Or
Wversion

both are rather sturdy card protectors
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoid UltraPro and Dek Prot because in both cases I brought sleeves for a game, then later when an expansion came out and I ordered more of the same type the color didn't match. Dragonshield, FFG, and my favorite KMC sleeves are consistent and great quality I believe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How much more do these brands cost? Sometimes I wouldn't mind having sleeves but I'm not paying $10 for 50 sleeves. $3 Ultra-Pros are bad enough. Especially since many of my games, the deck size is more than 50.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.