BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southwest

Subject: War Game group starting up Denver Metro rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting up a game group that will meet monthly specifically to play war games since those do not seem to make it to the table during other game nights. The premise is we will first gather names and emails from those interested, then find a day/time that works best among the group to meet on a regular basis. We will choose games or type of games to play with some advance notice so players can read rules, etc. we may play multi-player, multiple 2player, lighter...heavier, whatever the group is into at the moment. We are only restricted by the group's interest, game collection (btw mine is not up to date), ability to teach, table size and time. Beginners to vet players welcome.

We will meet in Arvada near i70 and Kipling.

If interested, GM me with your name (if not obvious by user name) and email address.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm "IN" for wargames and I live in Arvada as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Scott...the most popular name in our group! Welcome!
~V. (Scot's wife)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manhattandoctor wrote:
I'm interested. My friends call me "Skot", so that should avoid confusion.

well...you can just call me "Siferr"...as in Siferr Stark!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Graves
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Denver Board Wargamers is in. I can bring in at least 3 or 4 hardcore wargamers including myself. On the periphery there are another half dozen less frequent players. Our list is 10 to 12 known real wargamers. These are players who will play something above the level Memoir 44, Maneuver, Combat Commander and Command and Colors. Not that I am denigrating these games. They are light entry point games that can be played quickly and they are good games. Generally, chance is too high a component to call these full wargames. We distinguished between Wargames and Conflict games and play both.

We have met several times at the Whittier Community Center at 28th and Downing. Games played there have ranged from Strategy I, an old multiplayer SPI game, to SE4X, Blackbeard, Kingmaker and Sekigahara. We also meet privately quite often. Among us, at least 20 or 30 different games have been played in the last year involving over a hundred sessions.

The core of our group has been involved in longer more involved games lately, Imperium Romanum II and Struggle for Europe. But we also play a number of games that can be finished in between 2 and 6 hours.

Recommendations:
Some of the games below are multiplayer most are two player. I stand by the times below for players that have already had a practice game under their belt and basically know the rules. I keep telling everybody, "Wargames take practice!" If all you do is serially shift from game to game you spend a lot of time learning rules and rarely get to the point where you have enough mastery of the system or situation to really be competitive or get the full experience the game can provide. Of course there are many, many games that are ultimately design failures and repeated play just is not possible.

Finally, most wargames are 2 player games. Therefore I recommend tournaments be played in addition to multiplayer games. Denver Board Wargamers has discussed and is ready to promote the Boardgamer version of 1776 as a good game for a tournament. These are fascinating but shorter scenarios with leadership rules. We have 3 copies ready to go.

Quicker Games (2 hours or less)
Victory Point Games:
Napoleonic 20 System (About 17 games)
Ancients (About 100 scenarios)
GMT
Sekigahara
Panzer
Twilight Struggle
Avalon Hill
Panzer Blitz/Leader/Arab Israeli Wars
Others
Warriors of the Green Planet (Jordenson)
Helms Deep (Jordenson)

Medium Games (3 or 4 hours)
SPI
Napoleon at Waterloo Series (Especially the quads)
Strategy I
The Marne
Avalon Hill
1776 (Using the Boardgamer Leader Rules and Scenarios)
Battle of the Bulge (1965)
Afrika Corps
Midway
Guadalcanal Smithsonian Edition
Waterloo
Chaosium
Nomad Gods
GMT
Space Empires 4X
Columbia Block Games
Julius Caesar
Hannibal
Wizard Kings
Crusader Rex
Victory: Blocks of War
Others
Game of Thrones
War of the Ring (Fantasy Flight)
Siege (Jordenson)
Napoleon's Triumph

Longer Games (5 or 6 hours)
GMT
The Napoleonic Wars
Sword of Rome
Virgin Queen
Triumph and Glory
Conquest of Paradise
Fighting Formations
SPI
Leipzig
La Grande Armee
The Franco Prussian War
Lee Moves North
The Ardense
Battle for Stalingrad
Panzer Group Guderian
Moscow Campaign
Winter War
Russian Civil War

Chaosium
White Bear Red Moon

Vae Victus
Jours de Gloire (Series)
La Epee (Series)

Others
No Retreat (Victory Point Games)
Kingmaker (Avalon Hill)
Guadalcanal 1965 (Avalon Hill)
Imperator (3W)

A last note: At least one of us is a dedicated miniatures player. So we play the occasional miniatures game as well. And beware, we have at least one 12 year old player that has victory in his heart and laurels to go with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to agree with Lincoln G. on the C&C:A, C&C:N, BC, Mem'44 games...I've played them all, one over a hundred times, and they just aren't any fun when there is so much luck involved. I sold/gave away/got rid of all of the above.

Now, Battles of Westeros, that may seem like a similar "animal"...but it isn't, BoW fixes the major problems with the "C&C" series of games (Mem'44, there's just no fixing that one).

I strongly recommend a couple of the GMT Games for multi-player wargames: (a) Sword of Rome (especially 5p) and, (b) The Napoleonic Wars, both are excellent. Game of Thrones (FFG, 2ndEd) and Warrior Knights (FFG) would also be excellent choices.

There is a VP-Variant of Ikusa / Samurai Swords / Shogun that is also really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good, Lincoln... Thanks for all the info. About to head out to Chicago in a matter of minutes, but I will check this all out. Looks FANTASTIC!

A few more immediate comments....

Whittier is great! Scot and I founded that group with Nate know it quite well. Moved about 15 months ago to Arvada and schedules have prevented us from attending much, but I have been twice recently. Chances are we have crossed paths at some point.

Your message reminds me of an important point to make: this group is open to any and all gamers who have genuine interest and ability to play, experienced in war gaming or not. This is something I want to put on the table, day one. This may not be the group for everyone if that does not suit someone's particular preferences. Please, please be aware of this, consider this and know that we will not look kindly on elitism or exclusion. (Not that anyone has suggested it thus far.) This is a group meant to foster camaraderie and good times. We will choose games from what the group wants to play, we will teach games to each other, we will smack talk respectfully (if you don't know what that means see example below re: 12 year old) and we will share opinions without harsh judgment. We will not act like assholes, basically. whistle

Now that I've gotten all soapbox on you all... I really do look forward to this. I have been running game groups for 5 years, ran two small conventions, ran games at local conventions and at Gencon and some others, and was the Zman demo rep for quite some time.

I have to say, this group has me perhaps more excited than I've been in a while about gaming!

Now off to Chicago. Will be checking in over the weekend,
-V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts on Virgin Queen at this point? I am willing to spend the cash is someone is willing to help decipher the rules. I'm no dummy but that's a big project to take on at this point for me. The game, however, is becoming an obsession.

V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the first question would be did you ever play HIS? ("Here I Stand") The only reason I ask is that my understanding is that they are supposed to be nearly identical in game mechanics, but VQ is set in the next "era." HIS and SoR have some similarities (Successors has a few as well), but SoR is certainly simpler. That's my "take" anyway, can't say I'm any help whatsoever on deciphering VQ though! Doh! blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John P
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm interested, but my ability to go out for night time gaming is limited so I'll tag along and make it if/when I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Graves
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Scott and Scott

Absolutely agree with everything said. I don't like elitism either. I often prefer older simpler wargames and it hasn't been easy to convince wargamers used to pretty GMT style wargames that generally have close to twenty pages of rules that this bland looking old game with six or eight pages of simple rules is worth giving a try! This is a very difficult thing to do. Its very satisfying when you get someone to look beyond the dated appearance. And I like games like Command and Colors (I always seem to get lucky with those) and I will play them gladly if it means I can get someone to try something I am interested in too.

As far as Virgin Queen goes, I know two guys who own the game that are likely to come to a wargame night. So you may not have to make the purchase in order to play the game. I have had it explained to me why Virgin Queen is supposedly worth playing even though earlier games are available. But I can't remember what those explanations were...sorry. There seems to be a reason though that goes beyond just being more of the same but new.

I have only played Game of Thrones II once and I am very interested in playing it again. Of all the CDGs I have played, I like it the most. So far it has that feeling of open maneuver I like and I don't think the chaos factor is too high. I just happened across Battles of Westeros in the last week. I'm glad to hear a positive comment about this game. My family loves Game of Thrones and these are games I can get them to play.

Oh, and I have hoped Sword of Rome would make it to the table again. Perhaps if we meet close enough to Randolph he'll get another game going as he is the master of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Lincoln for the endorsement of course you know I'm "IN" practically anytime for a game of SoR!

If you like the C&C series I think you will be quite impressed with BoW. As a wargamer, you can put aside the fantasy aspect, and in it's essence it is just a well designed tactical level, medieval era, wargame (I do have a couple of criticisms, but almost no game is perfect).

By the way, I will play VQ if that's what the group decides, I have played HIS enough times that I should be able to pick up VQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My rule for this group: Any game involving farms/farm animals/resources needs to also involve guns.

Really, I'm flexible and can settle with swords, bombs, catapults, magic missile, fireballs, lasers, missiles, and hot oil, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so you have one serious, budding wargamer here and one that, eventually, will get there, I hope.

So...what do us noobs have to do to get details on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
Alright, so you have one serious, budding wargamer here and one that, eventually, will get there, I hope.

So...what do us noobs have to do to get details on this?

GM me with your email.

-Veronica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good!

~Veronica.

Btw...my Scot does not play war games, so to move along the trash talk: Hope y'all are ok losing to a girl!

Bolkonsky wrote:
Scott and Scott

Absolutely agree with everything said. I don't like elitism either. I often prefer older simpler wargames and it hasn't been easy to convince wargamers used to pretty GMT style wargames that generally have close to twenty pages of rules that this bland looking old game with six or eight pages of simple rules is worth giving a try! This is a very difficult thing to do. Its very satisfying when you get someone to look beyond the dated appearance. And I like games like Command and Colors (I always seem to get lucky with those) and I will play them gladly if it means I can get someone to try something I am interested in too.

As far as Virgin Queen goes, I know two guys who own the game that are likely to come to a wargame night. So you may not have to make the purchase in order to play the game. I have had it explained to me why Virgin Queen is supposedly worth playing even though earlier games are available. But I can't remember what those explanations were...sorry. There seems to be a reason though that goes beyond just being more of the same but new.

I have only played Game of Thrones II once and I am very interested in playing it again. Of all the CDGs I have played, I like it the most. So far it has that feeling of open maneuver I like and I don't think the chaos factor is too high. I just happened across Battles of Westeros in the last week. I'm glad to hear a positive comment about this game. My family loves Game of Thrones and these are games I can get them to play.

Oh, and I have hoped Sword of Rome would make it to the table again. Perhaps if we meet close enough to Randolph he'll get another game going as he is the master of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: close to Randolph... From Davis, I understand we are within about 2 to 3 miles of him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Graves
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
splot wrote:
Sounds good!

~Veronica.

Btw...my Scot does not play war games, so to move along the trash talk: Hope y'all are ok losing to a girl!

I'm used to losing most of the time as most of these guys will tell you! I'm just as happy losing to girls. Honestly, it'll be a step up. There's nothing like losing to a higher class of opponent to make you feel better about previous losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carlson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
One of the Scotts (is that a book or something) just clued me in to this thread.

I own both Here I Stand and Virgin Queen. I have played Here I Stand over a dozen times and am very familiar with the rules. I played a couple learning games of Virgin Queen and am now progressing through a PBEM game.

I am confident that I could lead a group through a game of either. I also am willing to serve solely as teacher if there are six people interested in learning either game. (The more people who know the game the better!)

If you want to give either HIS or VQ a spin let me know and I am in!!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carlson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I have a good amount of experience between Here I Stand (HIS) and Virgin Queen (VQ) and own both. No need to get your own copy at this point Scott.

The big bonus to playing either is that they combine warfare with a healthy dose of diplomacy. As the game progresses alliances shift quickly as each power seeks to prevent anyone else from winning.

Both games do offer largely similar mechanics. However, IMO Virgin Queen is more advanced than Here I Stand. Two reasons are because VQ offers players a wider array of action options and because diplomacy is more important to player success in VQ. That said, I'd recommend a group begin with HIS and progress to VQ later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolkonsky wrote:
splot wrote:
Sounds good!

~Veronica.

I'm used to losing most of the time as most of these guys will tell you! I'm just as happy losing to girls. Honestly, it'll be a step up. There's nothing like losing to a higher class of opponent to make you feel better about previous losses.

Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the day you guys meet, I might be able to journey on down there sometimes. I would love to play HiS or Virgin Queen, but I know I won't be able to make it every time. Plus, you needed another Scott in the group (though many just call me skippen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GM me an email so I can add you to the info list. Will likely be a weekend day due to the length of games and/or desire to play for more than a couple hours...plus gamers with a bit of a drive....plus gamers who work,etc.

Info email, inc survey on best day/time to meet coming by Snsay.

V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seren of Moon
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm in, can't always attend, but do include me on invites!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.