Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Why doesn't Splotter make more copies? Or at least let a another publisher do it. This game is way to good to languish because of limited distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
None of Splotter's other great games have languished, at least not the great ones with wide appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
A basic rule in business is if you mass produce, it drives the price down. It can also drive up your profit if you can mass sell. If not, your stuck with something you'll have to sell at cost or a loss and earn less profit, or eve lose money.

Zimbabwe is a gamer's game. It's nothing I would consider to have a family appeal. The niche of hard core gamers on one side of the gaming spectrum is like the niche of Grognard gamers on the other. If they produced 5000+ copies of the game, there would likely be 4000+ copies on shelves and warehouse inventory (exaggerated to make a point).

Whatever their business model is, it must work for them as they're at Essen every year and seem to be doing just fine with their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
That will be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
e.e.goings wrote:
That will be nice.

They answer the question (at least implicitly) on their own website. It's really no secret what their business model is or who they view their audience as.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
e.e.goings wrote:
That will be nice.

They answer the question (at least implicitly) on their own website. It's really no secret what their business model is or who they view their audience as.

Novel-writing beagles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
A hopefully-related question... Splotter does reprints, right? So if they sell out the initial print run, they could do another?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In a few years, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
In a few years, yes.

Thanks!

And thanks for the reminder that it'll be years before it comes out. Good input for deciding whether to plunk down $120
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
What was this size of this print run? Is it anywhere near selling out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Unknown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunate. I have a few friends who now own this and am considering picking it up too, because I am quite smitted with the gameplay and the quality of components is pretty good as well, but am hoping to play others' copies a few more times before making that decision and hope it doesn't sell out in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember, their games do not give Catan a run for the money. I started with Catan, Power Grid, and the typical line for board gaming newbie. I kept hearing about deeper games, but kept myself aloof from the "gamer games"...until I wanted more. I heard a lot about Roads and Boats as a heavier Catan, so it intrigued me, and the search was on. I searched/read everything about R&B from this strange company that charges 120 dollars for their giant games. They were out of print, of course, so I looked at the marketplace and trades. I found one in a trade list and long story, short, I traded heavily for a copy. I played it as soon as I could. It became my wife's favorite game, a 10 in my book, and I thought it was a great game that made one think a lot more than those "simple" games I had before; thus, I became a gamer snob. When catan was mentioned in passing at the game store, I would mention R&B and how much more there is to build...I was annoying.

Antiquity was a similar effect until I took the game to a convention locally, and it was shrugged by some, loved by others. Indonesia was another of those gamer games that I sought out heavily for. Splotter became the company to me to look forward to the next game they brought to the market. I would save up each year or two, just in hope a new game would be released.

I figure that of all my friends only 4/10 would be considered gamers of this caliber. The others would be suffice with Power Grid, Catan games, GOA being the deepest they would venture.

I like the investment of the Splotter releases; it takes 4 hours, but it feels like you've created something. With Catan, I finish in a hour and it feels like a race to build stuff and done. Splotter games build up continuously until the end, and it feels like you've created something. Zimbabwe, is less long, but the mass appeal would not be there unless someone like Wil Weaton played a game of it on Table Top - which I highly doubt would happen, though Wil, himself, would probably enjoy the game, his audience would not.

If more population were into Splotter depth games, I feel you would find more companies doing them. As they don't, Splotter Games fills the niche for us, gamers who want some meat; expensive meat, but well worth it.

edit: I have a game that has some depth that I have been shopping around for a publisher. The publishers who have bit at a chance to try it, for the most part, have enjoyed it...but will not publish it as the audience they have is not going for that kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Unfortunate. I have a few friends who now own this and am considering picking it up too, because I am quite smitted with the gameplay and the quality of components is pretty good as well, but am hoping to play others' copies a few more times before making that decision and hope it doesn't sell out in the meantime.

If the game is really good and it becomes out of print, it will likely resell for at least as much as you pay for it. If you like the game and believe you may want a copy, I'd buy one while you can and sell it later if you decide you don't need it. The other way around, where you decide you do want one and can't find a copy, is much more painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What was this size of this print run? Is it anywhere near selling out?

I spoke with Splotter at Essen. They didn't tell me exactly how many Zimbabwe's were produced but that they were all either sold or committed already to retailers; and what they had at Essen was pretty much the last of their stock other than about 50 back home. So there will be copies available through retailers but I would say don't expect any significant price reductions.

I found two online retailers in Europe selling copies for 70e which is 5 less than what they went for at the fair, and one for 85e. Both Boards & Bits, and Funagain are selling them for $120 when they get their shipment in which is about a 20% markup over the Essen price which I find reasonable given shipping and customs fees they may have to deal with.

Still I suspect in another year, they'll be hard to find and fetch a premium price, and perhaps in another two years we'll see another print run if they don't come out with something new that dwarfs it.

Quote:
the answer to this question and so many more will hopefully be part of the forthcoming BIG SPLOTTER INTERVIEW I wrote for them

Excellent Lee. thank you, and where will you be posting a copy of the interview?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Lee : thank you for that. Can't wait to read more about them than the "About us" section in their web site.

Jeroen and Joris seem to be very good guys but they are not loquacious here on BGG . I hope to meet them one day in Essen to talk to them.

I like their video of Zimbabwe at BGG's Essen booth.

@Scott Nelson : good write. Pretty the same thing here with me. However, i am eager to see the reprint of R&B to come for my 40 years in 2013 : in this manner, i will own the Splotter's big three on my shelves.

I suspect (from what i have read here and there) that it is the definitive "logistic-with-resource-conversion" game. More, it could be play for solitary.

Hopefully i will be able to sell some euros of this genre to make room.

EDIT : spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.