Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a copy of this game. But I have been scouring the spoilers and the scanned rules that have been posted. One thing that I have gleaned that I am really looking forward to is that deckbuilding and gameplay will be theme centered in many ways. My experience with Decipher's CCG led to a deckbuilding mantra that no matter what your Dark Side deck was, it could always use a dash of Vader in it. You could be running a full out Jabba's Palace Alien barrage deck and you'd get to thinking, "Man, where can I stick a Vader just for the occasional fun beatdown?"

With this new version from FFG, that won't be as easy. Having three 'factions' per side to start provides different motifs to build around. That, along with faction specific resource generation requirement a la Warhammer: Invasion LCG (or even more basic Magic), provides a need to plan, strategize, and yes, even leave that Vader out in many instances. Sure you can splash that objective with him in the deck but is it worth it if you don't

Some players might bemoan that this means you aren't seeing the 'Main' characters in a game, that a bunch of scrubs are dueling it out for the fate of the galaxy and the balance of the force. Well, in many ways that makes the game much more realistic than the Star Wars movies and in particular the extended universe of books. But in game play it also makes it so you aren't generally meta gaming against a specific card - Boba Fett swooping in for the capture in the middle of a bunch of Star Destroyers. It can still happen, but it looks like there is a lot of planning and strategizing and clogging your hand holding on to those card until the right objective comes out to provide you the faction specific resource to play them.

I'm excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny because I'm actually looking forward to tuning an Imperial Navy deck without sight of Vader and his mystical ways in my deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrekkerMJ wrote:
Some players might bemoan that this means you aren't seeing the 'Main' characters in a game, that a bunch of scrubs are dueling it out for the fate of the galaxy and the balance of the force.

Vader cant be everywhere... I'm sure there are many battles in the StarWars-Universe fought in his abscense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
It's funny because I'm actually looking forward to tuning an Imperial Navy deck without sight of Vader and his mystical ways in my deck.

You must be an Admiral Motti fan. Watch out for the force choke!

Really it will be fun. From the spoiler card site I've been checking out a TIE deck. Three objectives doubled up would be the core of the deck. Maybe sprinkle in some of the Star Destroyers for good measure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:

Imperial Navy deck is probably the one I'm looking forward to the most out of the core. Looks like you can make a crazy good tie themed deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.