Thomas Petersen
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE Nov 21, 2012:
Received my package last night. That is extremely fast shipping - only 9 days. That is really fast from the US to Canada. Thank you very much Miniature Market!!!

UPDATE Nov 16, 2012:
This has been completely taken care of and I feel handled extremely well. I have put a new post on this thread.

OLD POST:
I'm currently living in Canada for a couple years, but I'm from the US. I just made an order from Miniature Market for two base sets and one of each of the wave one ships for X-Wing miniatures.

My order got put on hold, but then eventually shipped. But, not before I got two e-mails saying that there was a problem with my order and I needed to pay more for shipping costs. My credit card had already been charged before the e-mails went out.

Part of my upset is, one e-mail says I owe $10 more, the other one says $15 more. The other is it seems they are trying to get me to send my credit card information through an e-mail.

So, here I am with two messages stating I have to pay more (two different amounts) to have my order shipped, but I have a tracking number for USPS that says it is already on its way. I don't mind paying what is actually owed because it is expensive to ship to Canada, but this whole thing seems very odd. There is a little more detail to the whole story, but I'm trying to keep it short - these are the basics.

Have any of you either in the US or Canada/international had a similar experience?

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Miniature Market Extra Shiping costs?
Hell no,

Don't ever send your CC info via email.

but, whats the little details? those are usually the larger issues.
but the big question is how did they bill your card already for the additional cost without your authorization???
And if they misquoted you on shipping and sent the items anyway the loss is on them not you... something is missing here..

I smell a rat..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Hell no,

Don't ever send your CC info via email.

but, whats the little details? those are usually the larger issues.
but the big question is how did they bill your card already for the additional cost without your authorization???
And if they misquoted you on shipping and sent the items anyway the loss is on them not you... something is missing here..

I smell a rat..

Miniature Market has a customer service number. If they needed you to pay more, I would hope that they would ask you to call it in. As quoted, never send your CC info through email, and they should know better than to ask.

Unfortunately, through various threads I have read about my go-to OLGS, it seems MM has lost a really good CS person and replaced them with some new people who are making a lot of little mistakes.

At this point, I would request to speak with the owner in order to get the EXACT amount owed. He is a nice guy who posts here in the forums and will go out of his way to make his customers happy.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Petersen
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I didn't say it very well because I was trying to be brief. At this point, my CC has only been charged for the original QUOTED price. I have not been charged for the extra $10 or $15 that the two other reps are asking for. Nor will I EVER send my CC in a mail. That's just silly.

I was just trying to find out if anyone else had their orders go through, CC charged, and THEN have their order put on hold pending another additional charge?

The very weird part is that my order has already shipped too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This drips with scam being perpetrated on you, and not by Miniature Market. Contact them immediately to discuss, as you both have something at stake here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Huter
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you certain it's shipped. There is a high likelihood that the package is still in MM's hands and not with UPS. I believe a lot of these systems automatically generate a UPS shipping label and notify UPS of a pick-up before UPS actually receives the package. I believe it's not uncommon for a day or two to pass between the shipping notice being sent and the package actually being in UPS hands for delivery. However, if your tracking information shows the package passing through various cities, then that is another story.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Petersen
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should put some names in here as well. The first person to contact me was Colleen McNamee. The second (from customer service) was Leanne Groves. I know from another poster here and another thread that Colleen is an employee of MM.

Who should I contact in this case? If these two people are in fact trying to scam me, I don't want to call them back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Petersen
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff -

November 14, 2012 23:56:00 HAZELWOOD, MO 63042 PROCESSED THROUGH USPS SORT FACILITY

I would say this line means it is actually in USPS hands.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They've asked me to send them my credit card info by email as well. I thought that was strange and told them so, but apparently I'm not the only one they've asked. I ended up calling the number on the website and giving it to them over the phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Petersen
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigkat wrote:
They've asked me to send them my credit card info by email as well. I thought that was strange and told them so, but apparently I'm not the only one they've asked. I ended up calling the number on the website and giving it to them over the phone.

Are you able to say why they needed to ask for your CC again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrwp wrote:
bigkat wrote:

Are you able to say why they needed to ask for your CC again?

I had changed an order and replaced a game with a game that was higher priced. So they needed to charge me the difference. So a different situation than yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to OLGS geeklist: http://boardgamegeek.com/listitem/987774?commentid=3333955#c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Call and ask to talk to the owner. When you checked out you gave the website your country, and it should have already calculated the correct international shipping. What store would hand the order to UPS for delivery while still needing partial payment? The store's leverage is gone once it tenders the package to UPS. It doesn't make any sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
Call and ask to talk to the owner. When you checked out you gave the website your country, and it should have already calculated the correct international shipping. What store would hand the order to UPS for delivery while still needing partial payment? The store's leverage is gone once it tenders the package to UPS. It doesn't make any sense.

I think they realize their website made the mistake in not charging him correctly for shipping. By holding the order, it could make the customer unhappy. MM is pretty good at trying to make the customer happy, thus they mailed out the order. It sounds like the poster has ordered from them before, so they figure they can recoup after the fact, and if they don't, they'd probably ban the customer from further orders.

jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Petersen
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never ordered from them before. And if I can get a decent resolution/explanation, then I will order from them again.

I just don't understand why they can't decide how much more I need to pay? Is it $10 or $15? The site says that it is a shipping QUOTE, not an estimate. And if they charge my credit card, then it should be a done deal - most companies don't charge your card until the item ships.

I PM'd Steve/miniaturemarket here on BGG. When I get some resolution and a reasonable explanation, I'll let you know.

I feel a bit bad airing my "private" experience with them before getting contact back with Steve, but I more wanted to know if anyone else international (or in the US) had a similar experience or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They shouldn't expect to recoup. If a customer pays the amount indicated on their website, and then they ship it out without asking if he wants to pay more, it's on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bimm wrote:
They shouldn't expect to recoup. If a customer pays the amount indicated on their website, and then they ship it out without asking if he wants to pay more, it's on them.

+1

Take to loss and fix the problem so it is correct for the next shopper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered from them before and have never had any issues and have actually had very good customer service. I find it strange that they're asking you for more $$. If there was a mistake, it's their fault and they should cover it. To me, it sounds fishy, and like what others have said, call them and find out what the deal is. Maybe the got hacked? It's strange that you got 1 email asking for more money, let alone 2. I've had to call them before, and they've always been pleasant and helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miniature Market
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Miniature Market - Online Gaming Superstore - Miniaturemarket.com
badge
mbmbmb
Last week we decided to re-weigh all 22,000 items in our warehouse. The goal was to have accurate weights for all of our items so international customers wouldn't be over-charged for shipping (which would help promote international sales).

On Friday of last week we imported the new weights into our site. The unforeseen result was a massive amount of international customers receiving shipping quotes that were just too low. We failed to factor in variables such as the weight of packaging supplies, dimensional size of the entire shipment and variable shipping (1st class vs. priority).

Any package that was off by $8.00 or less we processed like normal. Any packages that were off by more than $10 we contacted customers for the difference. In hindsight it was my mistake as we should've allowed all of the packages to go out with no additional charge.

Since we noticed the error on Monday we have been making changes to the weights in our system for specific product lines (like board games) and we have now fixed the problem. Overall, international shipping quotes on our site have gone down as a result of this project. For example a package going to Brazil that we used to charge $40 for shipping we now charge $35 which is within 4%-6% (sometimes more and sometimes less) of our actual cost.

It is still a work in progress and I've informed my customer service staff to let all packages proceed with no interruptions.

I've also informed my customer service staff to never request credit card information via email. That has always been our policy but in this case it wasn't followed. This issue has also been addressed.

Again, it was my call and my mistake for asking for additional funds and in the future if anything like this occurs we will eat the loss.

Steve @ miniature market
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
so international customers would be over-charged for shipping

I think you meant, "so international customers wouldn't be over-charged for shipping"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miniature Market
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Good catch - Just updated! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hence why MM is my go-to OLGS, Steve takes customer service very seriously. Yes, so does Cool Stuff, Thor at gamesurplus and Tom at Boards and Bits, but Steve edges them out with that 1-800 number that gets answered.

Jorune

miniaturemarket wrote:
Last week we decided to re-weigh all 22,000 items in our warehouse. The goal was to have accurate weights for all of our items so international customers wouldn't be over-charged for shipping (which would help promote international sales).

On Friday of last week we imported the new weights into our site. The unforeseen result was a massive amount of international customers receiving shipping quotes that were just too low. We failed to factor in variables such as the weight of packaging supplies, dimensional size of the entire shipment and variable shipping (1st class vs. priority).

Any package that was off by $8.00 or less we processed like normal. Any packages that were off by more than $10 we contacted customers for the difference. In hindsight it was my mistake as we should've allowed all of the packages to go out with no additional charge.

Since we noticed the error on Monday we have been making changes to the weights in our system for specific product lines (like board games) and we have now fixed the problem. Overall, international shipping quotes on our site have gone down as a result of this project. For example a package going to Brazil that we used to charge $40 for shipping we now charge $35 which is within 4%-6% (sometimes more and sometimes less) of our actual cost.

It is still a work in progress and I've informed my customer service staff to let all packages proceed with no interruptions.

I've also informed my customer service staff to never request credit card information via email. That has always been our policy but in this case it wasn't followed. This issue has also been addressed.

Again, it was my call and my mistake for asking for additional funds and in the future if anything like this occurs we will eat the loss.

Steve @ miniature market
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Petersen
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a very nice personal message from Steve as well as the response on this thread. I totally agree with what Jorune has said. True customer service and honest business practice win out in my book.

After understanding what happened here, I do believe I was WAY ~50% under-charged for what my true shipping should have been. And it seems (after a PM back and forth) that Steve is completely standing by the costs I was charged - even though I offered to settle up. I know that seems odd to do, but

I will most definitely pre-order wave 2 from Minitauremarket now. For me at least, even with the correct shipping on this order, they still have the cheapest overall (product+shipping) pricing for me here in Ontario - even vs Canadian OLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.