Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry (Leroy) Capasso
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My future wife loves all cute things with sheep, so it's my duty to check out any games with sheep in them to add to our library, so I was very happy to see Sheepdogs in the BGG CON library and was even happier that in under ten minutes of sitting down at a table, I had a full group of five people ready to play.

This version had the Wolf Expansion Cards, by the way.

Some Observations:

The rules were quick to go through (although I think some of the wording, especially in terms of individual sheep/flocks seemed unwieldy at first) and after a round or two the game blazed by at a great pace.

1+1 Cards for this game seemed to heavily end up with players placing other player's shepherds in the One Point fields. I'm curious if we were missing the advantage of moving other flocks (which seems counterproductive since they cannot move down the hill and there are not enough spaces to really place flocks out of reach of other spaces). Although some players did use these to get extra sheep in pens to expedite getting flocks on the board and of course flocks were moved to the wolf a few times.

Moving the wolf was not used much, the allure of taking two personal actions seemed more attractive for scoring. The Wolf Card did help with this, however, as sacrificing a 1 Card to remove a sheep was a nice tactic.

One variant suggested was that each player had their own deck of cards with equal distribution of the 1, 1+1 and 2 Cards. Players would still shuffle and draw each turn, but from their own deck. This removes some of the randomness but it would also prevent one player from getting several 2 Cards while another player is only drawing 1 Cards.

Otherwise, I think this game will be a good buy (once I am able to buy one) for my group. It's brisk and there's an element of messing around with the other players. The only thing is that the minimum players is listed as three and this was something that I was considering for when just me and my girl want to play together.

I'll probably squeeze another game in depending on how much time I spend at the convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.