Hide
13 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 1 vs 1 game. How do you stop Orion ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Ackroyd
msg tools
Well the title says it all. How can you stop Orion from winning in a 1 vs 1 game ?

We have baned Orion in 2 players games as a houserule, but since the official rules just indicate that Draco and Planta shouldn't be allowed in 2 players games, i guess we just haven't found out yet how to stop Orion.

If anyone can help me with this, i would apreciate.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
What normally happens in your games?

I won a 2 player game against Orion recently (I was Mechanema), but I suspect that was as much to do with the Orion player's actions as my own. I attempted to make sure that there were no direct links between us (other than the center), so that the Orion player could not attack me early. He did not aggressively come after me; by the time we were connected, I had the better technology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Urg
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
people almost universally ban Orion in 2 player games.

Which means the first player always goes Hydran :shake:.

In 2v2 i think both players should just go Human. Its about the only way to ensure enough equality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Ackroyd
msg tools
galfridus wrote:
What normally happens in your games?

Orion takes the center by turn 3 at worst (often turn 2), and from there, he connects to his oponent empire and just smash him...
If the oponent try to build defenses (like starbases) on his starting hex or on the Hex I that connect to the center, Orion just avoid (if needed) those defenses by exploring and opening new routes to his oponent empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Axisplaya wrote:
Well the title says it all. How can you stop Orion from winning in a 1 vs 1 game ?

1.) Get lucky
2.) Ban Orion from 2p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
augustus maximus
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Axisplaya wrote:
Orion takes the center by turn 3 at worst (often turn 2)

On what ship configuration could center be taken in turn 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Ackroyd
msg tools
humeniuc wrote:

Orion just buy 1 ship worth 5 mat (don't know the word in english, is it the dreadnought ?), they add, if possible, plasma canon and double hull. I have personally taken the center on turn 2 with just 2 ships, ion canons and simple hull. Some Orion players like to buy a 3rd ship (worth 3mat) if they can't get Plasma Canon and/or double hull.

The thing is, Orion has shield on his ships, so the center only hits with 6, and with only 4 dices each round, it is quite easy to take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
humeniuc wrote:
Axisplaya wrote:
Orion takes the center by turn 3 at worst (often turn 2)

Turn 1:
0) Research Improved Hull
-1) Explore Sector I
-2) Upgrade Improved Hull to Cruiser & Dreadnaught replacing power sources
-3) Move Cruiser to Sector I
-5) (this goes to Sector I control)

Turn 2:
-1) Build Dreadnaught to Sector I
-2) Move Dreadnaught & Cruiser to center
-3) Upgrade Dreadnaughts hulls with improved hulls
-5) (this goes to Center control)

Now Galaxy Center has 2 whites, so putting them into money will give you 4. Since Sector I always gives you money or science, you won't have to give up any discs by trading 4 science... sometimes its still better to let.

Actually that was against one ancient sector I... Without:
Turn 1:
0) Research Improved Hull
-1) Explore Sector I
-2) (this goes to sector I control)
-3) Upgrade Improved Hull Dreadnaught replacing power source, Nuclear Engine to Cruiser replacing Hull
-5) Upgrade Dreadnaughts hulls with improved hulls

Turn 2:
-1) Build Dreadnaught to Sector I
-2) Move Dreadnaught & Cruiser to center
-3) Upgrade Cruiser with Improved Hulls (replacing One engine & Power)
-5) (this goes to Center control)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
augustus maximus
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@Roger Ackroyd, @Riku Riekkinen
Thank you for the tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Axisplaya wrote:

We have baned Orion in 2 players games as a houserule, but since the official rules just indicate that Draco and Planta shouldn't be allowed in 2 players games, i guess we just haven't found out yet how to stop Orion.

If anyone can help me with this, i would apreciate.

Thanks.

Orion is clearly the strongest race in this game. If there's exactly 1 improved hull available, if you are not the starting player, you have 3 options:

a) Select Black Terrans
b) Select Orion
c) Select something else, but your odds to win are low if your opponent is good and not unlucky

If you're the starting player, your opponent has already chosen a race. If he chose Orion, you must pick up improved hull as your first action.

Personally I think allowing only Eridani, Mechanema and Terran in 2p games makes the game more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Kernic
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
1.) Get lucky

Choose Hydran, get supernova on your first exploration, orion gets double ancients on his 1-hex and proceeds to have the worst dice luck ever.
Had it happen last 2p game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Urg
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petri wrote:

Personally I think allowing only Eridani, Mechanema and Terran in 2p games makes the game more interesting.

i'd agree with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
We never had Problems with Orion in 2p. I have not played many games but usually Orion was beaten by superior tech e.g. through exploring a lot. You really want to make connecting for Orion hard but do Not totally give up on sector 1 exploration tiles.

But i must admit the Orion race is very strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.