United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3740

More like a bunch of white guys from minnesotar

wish they posted their hometowns it'd be fascinating to see the demographic of entrants too. Seems like it's not something people travel for.

Did anyone go?

WORLD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They used to do them at GenCon and seemed like it brought in a large variety of folks... but yeah, I know a bunch of locals who went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Over three days of enthusiastic participation and stiff competition, we enjoyed top-level games, including several World Championship Finals that featured the best players from both Europe and North America.

Game of Thrones:
Quote:
The reigning North American Champion, five former World Champions, and two European National Champions all fought to defend their bids for the Iron Throne from multiple Regional Champions and other hopeful players.

Call of Cthulu:
Quote:
A field consisting of players from North America, France, Italy, and Tokyo fought to retain their sanity as they uncovered the terrible truths of the Ancient Ones’ influence over all reality.

Dust Tactics:
Quote:
The 2012 Dust Tactics World Championship was a true contest of champions, pitting the French and German National Champions against one another, as well as a number of American contenders

Warhammer Invasion:
Quote:
The top players from Europe and North America fought for dominion over the Old World in the 2012 Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game World Championship Tournament. After four hard-fought preliminary rounds, four players earned their way to elimination play, two each from Europe and North America.

No doubt the locals would be a majority of the "less serious" players but there were entrants from around the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:

No doubt the locals would be a majority of the "less serious" players but there were entrants from around the world.

i am slain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valery Prikhodko
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SixtyWATZ wrote:

wish they posted their hometowns it'd be fascinating to see the demographic of entrants too. Seems like it's not something people travel for.

Did anyone go?

WORLD

/thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so confused by the last two post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to spend a lot of effort just to be 'unimpressed' with stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember if you find a post offensive, trollish, or otherwise improper, there is a wonderful red X button to click.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MillertimeRC wrote:
Quote:
Call of Cthulu:
[q]A field consisting of players from North America, France, Italy, and Tokyo fought to retain their sanity as they uncovered the terrible truths of the Ancient Ones’ influence over all reality.

The move from a continent, to countries, to a city amuses me. That is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to Jeremy Zwirm, champion in Android: Netrunner and Warhammer: Invasion. (Also a regular attendee at the Minneapolis Board Game Madness events.) Outstanding job Jeremy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The move from having Worlds at Gencon to having it at their company HQ in Minnesota probably did reduce the number and range of players.

Personally, I played in the Gencon Call of Cthulhul tournament this year and last year and greatly enjoyed it (and came in 2nd place this year too) - but I can't justify traveling for such a small event. Gencon is four days of wall-to-wall gaming. This is maybe one or two events, roughly the equivalent of about 2/3 of a single Gencon day.

Future years I'm afraid will be the same for me. Given a choice, I would always rather take my trip to the bigger event and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I can only imagine how hard it must be to justify the trip if you're flying in from another continent.

Granted, I'd have been a lot more tempted to go if I'd come in 1st rather than 2nd at Gencon though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SixtyWATZ wrote:

Is that your way of saying we need a "Gaming and non-whites" subforum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.