Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan M
United States
Hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested to hear from others out there as to what game they first played when they knew they were hooked? It doesn't necessarily have had to have been a "Gateway" game, I'm just curious to see what games others started with. Mine was Agricola.

I saw pictures of some friends playing it and thought it looked like a fun game. I was not familiar with the European Style of Games, so I figured if I was going to spend a decent amount of money on a board game, I wanted to find out more about it. I watched a review on YouTube, bought the game, and have been hooked ever since! Since that first fateful game, I was introduced to other great games like Puerto Rico and Power Grid. I'm trying to really build up my collection (starting with my Christmas Wish List sent out to my family this year), but I really enjoy games that have more strategy than the board games I grew up with.

My wife also enjoys similar games, so that's awesome to have someone always up to playing a good board game. It was summed up in her response to me when I recently taught her how to play Pandemic. She said, "Now why in the world have you not taught me this game earlier!? This is a great game!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for me it was trying to keep all the carcassonne expansions straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always had an on again - off again relationship with games my whole life. Board games, RPGs, and back, but I always lost interest. Then, I met this guy -
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

He first introduced me to that Cardboard Crack we know as Magic: The Gathering. Even gave me my first deck.
(Like all good pushers, the first taste was free) laugh

Then, he told me about BGG. I've been hooked ever since.

And yes, he's still my friend.

PS. Now he's trying to turn me into a Grognard. He just wont quit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Baldwin
United States
Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
Come and get them if you dare!
badge
To Do List: 1. Eat 2. Workout 3. Be Amazing
mbmbmbmbmb
This game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan brought me here. Tom Vasel and Scott Nicholson kept me me a while.

Then I joined to ask a dumb questions about Memoir 44, which was kindly answered by 3 people in the first 10 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Petersen
Denmark
Svendborg
flag msg tools
badge
The bigger the problem, the bigger a hammer you'll need!
mbmbmbmbmb
This bastard

A hunt for this game. A game, that my father played with his brothers, when I was a stupid little bastard. In the next few years, as a kid, I'd thrown away some of the tanks.. After that.. Nothing.. But then one day, after I've grown older, I decided to hunt down two copies - one for my father and one for me, as a memorial That's pretty much my story, and way to BGG - now I'm stuck, and the insanity has corrupted my life. Well, sort of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan P
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
I think for me it was trying to keep all the carcassonne expansions straight.

Same for me! Randomly stopped by a local game shop to buy a gift for eldest son and was overwhelmed by the sheer number of expansions available for carc. After playing and loving the game, had to find out which one to buy next and google led me to a poll here about the best carc expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sapper_SB wrote:
This game:

Funny you should say that. I was all over Heroscapers back in the day... then I got into other board games and eventually HS went to WotC and died a horrid death. BGG was ther to fill the void and I thought..sheesh I shoulda been here the whole time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was searching for Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries, as it seemed to be sold out everywhere and I wanted a copy (it went out of print). I ended up buying CSI's last copy at MSRP - the only time I've ever paid that much for a game.

But, I did find Boardgame Geek. I used it to look up a few games, but didn't get really active on the site for another year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was Arkham Horror, needed a bit of help with the instructions whistle

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooked on board games or hooked on BGG?

I've been hooked on board games ever since I played Hotels for the first time. I never stopped playing board games since, although the type of games has changed over the years.

I discovered BGG as a data base when I had more than 250 games and wanted to sell some of them. My friend
Herman Budde
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
advised BGG to me and I logged on, but didn't do anything with it. I'm not sure what changed last summer, but I'm sure hooked now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runga Tunga
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one. I know it is not a good game but it was one of my firsts and I was trying to find some rules explanations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Hale
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am old school the game that started interest back in gaming (twenty years ago) was Empire Builder. It took me another two or three years to discover Catan and then my collection just started to grow and grow now 400 games later here I am a little poorer but with some great memories of gaming with friends and family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Baldwin
United States
Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
Come and get them if you dare!
badge
To Do List: 1. Eat 2. Workout 3. Be Amazing
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliphant wrote:
Sapper_SB wrote:
This game:

Funny you should say that. I was all over Heroscapers back in the day... then I got into other board games and eventually HS went to WotC and died a horrid death. BGG was ther to fill the void and I thought..sheesh I shoulda been here the whole time.

Yeah, I maintained a big presence on Heroscapers for a while, heroscapeHQ before that, and Heroscape.com (I think?) before that. A great community for sure. But I don't visit very much anymore because heroscape died and I don't play it much anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tory G
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was Catan. I had grown up playing board games, but only of the mass market type. I never knew all these other games existed. Then one day at the office some co-workers were talking about settlers of catan and I had to go look up info on it. I bought it instantly.

I was then talking with
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
who told me about BGG. I joined Christmas Day 2007 and have never looked back.

Thank you Catan and John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan after stumbling upon a review on you tube by Scott Nickleson. Cant even remember what i was originally looking for on you tube, but i wasnt a board gamer (i had played rpgs), and i wasnt looking for a new hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theek Eelmach
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Betrayal at House on the Hill is what first led me to this website. I was looking it up to see if anybody else was having the same problem I was having with the character cards. That game was also the first game that got me into board games as an adult. I keep coming back here to look into new games and maybe to make some friends to play board games with. Me and my wife are big time geeks and we really need a third player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne.

Poor Carc though; I dumped her for Agricola not long after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HuGo Lelapin
msg tools
mb
My first board games I had was:
Scrabble,Heroquest,Necromunda and Blood Bowl

I never found anyone two play two of those: Necromunda and Blood Bowl.
I had a harsh time to play 3 games of Heroquest,
And I was playing Scrabble only with my father and his girlfriend of that era and years later, I had only one friend that liked it and we were playing a couple of time by year skipping years.
for like... 12 years, I put the board game world aside.
Then last year, I met my, now, girlfriend that was liking games months later I met his father and we played a big game of Carcassonne.
I had real good time! It hooked me! I loved that family time and now I had persons to play with! The next month, I bought Carcasonne big box and Zombies!!! Because I was remembering seing that game box in a store and wanted to play but never bought because I had nobody to play with.
But now I was confident. I bought a lot of games since, had the chance to buy like 3 dozens of board games at 50%-80% of discount!
Made a couple of good choice! I acouple of misses, that I will give away to a center that help kids and teenagers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for an alternative to Risk. I had heard of Settlers of Cataan and came to learn more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hadden
Canada
Biggar
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it was not all that long ago, I can't remember very well which game brought me here. I believe though it was something like Agricola, or maybe Dominion. I was wanting to branch out from my slim selection of games - Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan and Pandemic. I found the site, now I'm hooked.

(In the end between the two I went with Dominion for now. )

Our gaming friends are few and far between, It's mostly the wife and I. It's fun trying to figure out good games for the two of us. Cooperative is good. Non-combative is good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I picked up a copy of Acquire at a tag sale for $1. After about 20 mind-blowing games, I decided to google it to see if anyone else had thought about strategies for this odd old thing...

Then I bought Puerto Rico...

Then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally Agricola all the way.

Oh, the memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thad Hobson
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan was the first I played and then Ticket to Ride. Upon searching for something online about one of those two games I stumbled onto BGG and my eyes were opened to the light. I couldn't believe me eyes. There were hundreds and hundreds of awesome looking games that I had never seen in stores, and they were all ranked so clearly that I had good leads as to what to start buying.

If I hadn't discovered Euro games until after all my children left the home, I would have felt sick. These are such great family games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.