Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: RUNNER - CRYPSIS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephane Malo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
just got the game and trying to wrap my puny brain around rules and strategy. Got a question regarding the CRYPSIS card.
As this card is a PROGRAM: ICEBREAKER with the following description:
1 credit: Break ice subroutine
1 credit: +1 strenght
CLICK: place 1 virus counter on Crypsis
When an encounter with a piece of ice in which you used Crypsis to break a subroutine ends, remove 1 hosted virus counter or trash Crypsis.

My questions:
So the virus counter is placed on the ICE?
I get to remove the virus counter only if i use Crypsis to break the subroutine: End the run?

Strategy wise, can somebody explain to me how to correcly use this card.

Thanks in advance for your answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
in this case, a virus counter is a good thing. It allows you to keep Crypsis alive after using it, does not matter if the ice has end the run or not.

Basically it means that for every ice you want to break, you need to spend a click to put a virus counter first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STEMALO wrote:

Yes.
Quote:
I get to remove the virus counter only if i use Crypsis to break the subroutine: End the run?

You must remove one (if present) after breaking any number of subroutines on a single piece of ice. If you can't, Crypsis is trashed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Malo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i must be missing something because i do not understand why i am putting a virus on my own cards.
Is there a place where the virus notions are explained?
For me a virus should be on the corporation and not my own cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Malo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
STEMALO wrote:

Yes.
Quote:

You must remove one (if present) after breaking any number of subroutines on a single piece of ice. If you can't, Crypsis is trashed.

THANK YOU...now i understand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
STEMALO wrote:
i must be missing something because i do not understand why i am putting a virus on my own cards.

It's not a virus - it's a virus counter. It shows how powerful your virus (Crypsis) is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STEMALO wrote:

I think you're assuming that it's bad for you, because it's called a "virus." It isn't bad, it's good.

Suppose you encounter a piece of ice with 3 strength and 2 subroutines. You pay 5 credits (+3 strength, +1 break subroutine, +1 break subroutine) to go through it. If you have a virus counter, you remove it. If you don't have a virus counter, the icebreaker you used a click to draw, then used a click and paid 5 credits to play will be destroyed. Presuming you don't want your clicks and credits to go to waste, you would want to spend a click before making the run to add a virus counter to Crypsis. A good virus counter, which you can use to prevent wasting your own time and money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Malo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thank you for all your comments, now i clearly understand the notion of virus counters. Had some issues when comparing to the PARASITE card.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
STEMALO wrote:
thank you for all your comments, now i clearly understand the notion of virus counters. Had some issues when comparing to the PARASITE card.

cheers

Parasite is hosted on a piece of ICE.

The virus counters are hosted on Parasite.

Medium's virus counters are hosted on Medium.

Representing the power of the virus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
STEMALO wrote:

Yes.

It's been all clarified now, but quoted part could be confusing - as described on the Crypsis the virus counter is placed on the Crypsis itself. So the answer should be "no".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another reason it's a "virus counter" is because it's one of the counters discarded when the Corp spends 3 clicks to purge them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donmakaron wrote:
astroglide wrote:
STEMALO wrote:

Yes.

It's been all clarified now, but quoted part could be confusing - as described on the Crypsis the virus counter is placed on the Crypsis itself. So the answer should be "no".

Oh right, I mistook that for icebreaker. Good catch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
every program, that uses tokens and interact with them is called "virus" and therefor these tokens are called "virus counter".

Virus counter tokens are allways hosted on the belonging virus program.

The effect of Crypsis says to remove a hosted counter after use; so counters must be hosted on this card, otherwise you never will be able to remove a counter if the card can't get any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berning
United States
cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Is it assumed that the hosted virus counter has to come from Crypsis' card? Can you remove a virus counter from another virus card, like Medium?
I assume not, but the wording does not say remove from his card.

"When an encounter with a piece of ice in which you used Crypsis to break a subroutine ends, remove 1 hosted virus counter or trash Crypsis."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Grell
United States
Winter Haven
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has to come from Crypsis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berning22 wrote:
Is it assumed that the hosted virus counter has to come from Crypsis' card? Can you remove a virus counter from another virus card, like Medium?
I assume not, but the wording does not say remove from his card.

"When an encounter with a piece of ice in which you used Crypsis to break a subroutine ends, remove 1 hosted virus counter or trash Crypsis."

When an encounter with a piece of ice in which you used Crypsis to break a subroutine ends, remove 1 hosted virus counter or trash Crypsis.

-=-=-

From Crypsis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uspec
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when i push the strenght of crypsis, does the pushed strength got reset after breaking one ice card? So i have to push him again if there is another ice on the same run? OR does i push crypsis once for the whole run and it str gets resetted after the run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uspec wrote:
when i push the strenght of crypsis, does the pushed strength got reset after breaking one ice card? So i have to push him again if there is another ice on the same run? OR does i push crypsis once for the whole run and it str gets resetted after the run?

compare:

One of them keep their strength for an entire run, one of them loses their strength after each encounter (individual piece of ice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.