Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year they didn't show the results until after the con. I was hoping this year they would update it daily like Essen but it doesn't appear that will be the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Blazars are a special type of active galaxy that indirectly pay for my boardgame habit
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's no fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else noticed that Mice and Mystics wasn't on the list? Since it's a very recent release and I've been playing it a bunch over the last couple weeks, I thought I'd give it a thumbs up....but it wasn't present. A guy next to me was looking for a game to give a thumb to as well, but couldn't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find a game either that I really enjoyed playing last night, but since I found it in proto alley I figured it just hadn't made it into the library yet, even if it's already published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give you a little spoiler: everyone loves Terra Mystica and Escape. Also, Tzolk'in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
... and Titty Grab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Keller
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
City Hall wasn't in the voting database for the first couple of days, but the great convention staff cleared that up and it finally made it onto the top 25 last night, at 24th place.

Given the enthusiastically positive reaction of everyone who has played it so far each night, I am optimistic that we could climb a few spots today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any feedback about Snowdonia? I'm hopping from foot-to-foot in anticipation here in the (cold, misty, wet) UK!

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:
Any feedback about Snowdonia? I'm hopping from foot-to-foot in anticipation here in the (cold, misty, wet) UK!

Tony

Last I saw, it was hovering around 10, but that was on Thursday I believe...

To be honest, though, I don't think Geekbuzz isn't the best system. I know that they're trying to protect from "hater" ratings, but if I dislike a game with the current system, I have no way of registering that. Maybe a 1-3 rating system would work: 1 is dislike, 2 is okay, and 3 is like. Also, as noted above, there were some games that just weren't in the database. It turns out, Mice and Mystics was even in the library so I don't know why it took until Friday to be added to the system...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia was at 13 when I left tonight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides many people not taking time to vote, i also saw many sponsors/exhibitors making sure to vote.

As for Snowdonia, one of the people I was playing a lot with, that was his favorite game of the hot games room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mfaulk80 wrote:
tonyboydell wrote:

Tony

To be honest, though, I don't think Geekbuzz isn't the best system. I know that they're trying to protect from "hater" ratings, but if I dislike a game with the current system, I have no way of registering that.

This is exactly right. Escape was number one for most of the con. Is that because it's a good game? Not at all (and I'm not debating whether it is good or not). It was number 1 because so many more people played it, because Queen was essentially running a giveaway to those who played (and wait until people start talking about that).

*edit* DAMN iPad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
tonyboydell wrote:

Tony

To be honest, though, I don't think Geekbuzz isn't the best system. I know that they're trying to protect from "hater" ratings, but if I dislike a game with the current system, I have no way of registering that.

This is exactly right. Escape was number onr for most of the con. Is that because it's a good game? Not at all (and I'm not debating whether it is good or not). It was number 1 because so many more people played it, because Queen was essentially running a giveaway to those who played (and wait until people start talking about that).

And even if they weren't running the giveaway, the game can be played in 10 minutes....which means A LOT more people are going to be able to play Escape vs something heavier and longer. #2 was another filler, Love Letter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Keller
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a video of the geekbuzz leaderboard at about 1pm today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
One big problem with a system like this is the small sample size...the top game had something like 100 likes out of 2000 people. That's 5% of the convention saying they like the game and it's #1. I also don't like the binary system they use; I like the above poster's suggestion that we can rate them on more of a scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LiteBulb88 wrote:
One big problem with a system like this is the small sample size...the top game had something like 100 likes out of 2000 people. That's 5% of the convention saying they like the game and it's #1. I also don't like the binary system they use; I like the above poster's suggestion that we can rate them on more of a scale.

It's not even binary because you can't "dislike" anything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
It's not even binary because you can't "dislike" anything...

Yes, this really hurt the system. This year, we didn't do any geekbuzzing at all because of the change in the system from the old 5 point ranking style. It just didn't feel right to me to give buzz to something I didn't really enjoy, or to give equal buzz to something that was obviously inferior to something else.

I'd much rather see a "Loved it" / "Hated it" system, maybe with a middle "Meh" option to distinguish from unplayed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:

Tony

Snowdonia was really good. It's worker placement, resource gathering, but the timing when to do your work is really critical - the same work done one turn (or even half a turn) early can mean a difference in points. The "dummy player" also is great at ruining your great plans. There's enough new here to make it a good addition even though it's not hugely innovative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
tonyboydell wrote:

Tony

Snowdonia was really good. It's worker placement, resource gathering, but the timing when to do your work is really critical - the same work done one turn (or even half a turn) early can mean a difference in points. The "dummy player" also is great at ruining your great plans. There's enough new here to make it a good addition even though it's not hugely innovative.

Tony is the designer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely didn't use the GeekBuzz systems at all...didn't want to use the time I could've spent playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I definitely didn't use the GeekBuzz systems at all...didn't want to use the time I could've spent playing games.

It's true, I could have played half a game of Zombie Dice in the total amount of time over 5 days that it took me to GeekBuzz. And if there's any game I don't want to miss, it's Zombie Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konata wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

It's true, I could have played half a game of Zombie Dice in the total amount of time over 5 days that it took me to GeekBuzz. And if there's any game I don't want to miss, it's Zombie Dice.

Get with the buzz! You could have played Bears!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:

Tony

Tony,
I personally taught Snowdonia 15-20 during BGG Con and bought myself a copy. I had nothing but good reactions about the game from everyone. So I think there was a lot of good feeling about the game.

Geekbuzz was weird this year. My feeling were that the Geekbuzz meant very very little for game success or quality. YMMV

Since I can account for 45+ people who played it and liked it, I'd say it was a success.

I'm just sad my copy didn't come with Igor the Engine

John Mellby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

I used it some, but was a bit surprised by how slowly it loaded games, and I don't recall there being a search function. So if I wanted to scroll all the way down to e.g. Tz'olkn, it took quite a while.

Still not a huge time investment, but I'd be more inclined to continue using it in future years if it took as little time as possible. Perhaps store a local copy of the games list on each computer so it doesn't take time to load it? (Then maybe have a single re-sync happen at ~6am if forgotten games had to get added late.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.