United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to know what makes the game worth $60. I realize Queen Games are always high quality components (based on my copies of Lancaster, Kingdom Builder, etc.), but they are always expensive, unnecessarily so, for what you get. I am interested in the game, but I am a poor gamer and can't see spending $60 when I bought most of my card games in the $20-$30 range (Race for the Galaxy, Dominion, 7 Wonders, Eminent Domain [bad example, the quality of this game, components wise, is a 1 out of 10], but you get the gist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjg101 wrote:
I really want to know what makes the game worth $60. I realize Queen Games are always high quality components (based on my copies of Lancaster, Kingdom Builder, etc.), but they are always expensive, unnecessarily so, for what you get. I am interested in the game, but I am a poor gamer and can't see spending $60 when I bought most of my card games in the $20-$30 range (Race for the Galaxy, Dominion, 7 Wonders, Eminent Domain [bad example, the quality of this game, components wise, is a 1 out of 10], but you get the gist).

A) Dominion and 7 Wonders are $45-50.

B) This does look to have the player boards and a bunch of counters and some cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Or
United Kingdom
Stirling
Stirling
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
re
lfisher wrote:

Quick check on Coolstuffinc says Dominion is available for $25 and 7 Wonders for $32. Maybe that's their Christmas deal though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shin0509 wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Quick check on Coolstuffinc says Dominion is available for $25 and 7 Wonders for $32. Maybe that's their Christmas deal though

Yeah well if the OP is comparing the Queen MSRP then you have to compare to MSRP of the other ones.

If you want to take a discount price, Queen's Edo is $59.99 and available for 38.99, so you can compare that to 7W for $32.49.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
If you want to take a discount price, Queen's Edo is $59.99 and available for 38.99, so you can compare that to 7W for $32.49.

Edo has a full-size board and a lot of cardboard and wooden components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7W = 7 wonder boards, 157 cards, 116 tokens
LL = 5 hero boards, 150 cards, 268 tokens, 15 cubes
Edo = double sided board, 22 large wooden bits, 60 small wooden bits, 66 tokens, 37 medium cardboard markers, 12 large cardboard "cards"
KB = 8 boards, 35 cards, 29 tiles, 164 wooden bits, 8 summary tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Edo has a full-size board and a lot of cardboard and wooden components.

Curt, I don't think he intended to use Edo as a component comparison, just as a way of gauging what Lost Legends actual retail price would be (for the purpose of comparing to the retail prices of similar games). If Edo's MSRP is listed at $59.99 and it can be purchased retail for $38.99, then it would be reasonable to suppose that Lost Legends will also at some point be available for that price. Now we can use the $38.99 to make a more reasonable price comparison to other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
jjg101 wrote:
I really want to know what makes the game worth $60. I realize Queen Games are always high quality components (based on my copies of Lancaster, Kingdom Builder, etc.), but they are always expensive, unnecessarily so, for what you get.

Well on Kickstarter you also get It Happens.. thrown in for free. It's a dice game by Stefan Feld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjg101 wrote:
I'm with you. There's a lot of great games out there and not a lot of money. All the comparisons of the costs of other games does nothing to explain why this game is worth the price tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders = 7 wonder boards, 157 cards, 116 tokens
Full retail - $50, Online discounter cost - $32

Lost Legends = 5 hero boards, 150 cards, 268 tokens, 15 cubes
Full retail - $60, Online discounter cost - $38

I guess I don't see the problem, other than people mistakenly comparing MSRP to online discounter prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I HATE the facts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I pledged once they reached the extra hero stretch goal. I'm assuming that the plastic bits upgrade might make the retail version but the hero and any extra monsters would not. I didn't pledge to make it more likely they'd release it, I'm pretty sure they would have even with a failed campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
"and for free!" Meaning non-KS would not receive them for free, but they would be available somehow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some games, not all, Kickstarter is a way to get the game into the hands of gamers who will complain about it and help developers improve 2nd editions or expansions.

Those who think I'm cynical, I'll remind you I've said "some, not all."

But the point is, not all "kickstarted" games are adequately playtested, and the gamers who support the effort end up being unpaid developers.

One man's opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinmcgillivray wrote:
I don't get the point of buying this game during the Kickstarter campaign. Queen has invested way too much in the artwork not too release the game so it's not like our KS pledges improve the odds of it coming to market. We get the privilege of paying suggested retail at lease SIX MONTHS before we can even get our hands on the game. In exchange we get the game a couple weeks early, a t-shirt, non-exclusive stretch goals and one of their dice games from 2010. Why not just wait until it shows up on Amazon for $20 less?

I love Queen Games and own a ton of their products but the way they use Kickstarter just doesn't make sense to me.

This sums up for me why I didn't contribute to the Kickstarter campaign back when it was only $55. I will wait until I get a discount, assuming the reviews I've read by then are favorable.

As for the original post, there are two different issues:

1) The MSRP of this game versus the MSRP of other games.
2) Paying MSRP for a preorder instead of waiting for the discounted game.

I'm not clear which one the original post was complaining about.

For 1), it's possibly about $10-$20 higher than comparable games, but it's not completely out of the ballpark. Yes, Queen tends to charge more than other game publishers -- that's their business model. So be it. It's not great, but it's not the end of the world.

For 2), it's personal preference. I'm going to wait for the discount. Others will want it 2 weeks earlier. Both are valid decisions.

However, combining 1) and 2) to compare $60 vs $20-$30 is an unfair comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.