Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jackie Engberg
Denmark
Aalborg Øst
Nord Jylland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
People keep asking and the answer is still NO... I think the questguides is a part of what you pay for when buying the game and there for the quest is NOT freely aviable for every one. Maybe you can find a copy or something but why not buy the games on ebay instead? i brought RTL and WOD from there no problem at all, they were a little expansive but maybe not more than 10% vs the stores.

Good Luck

- Jackie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically (and legally) you are correct, however the primary reason to make these not available is to make more sales and since FFG no longer sells these, they have no reason to not make these available anymore. I know FFG won't, but it'd sure be nice if they just published the quests on their site.

Having said that, I'm sure some fan will creat a scan of the rules someday soon for wveryone to enjoy...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Technically (and legally) you are correct, however the primary reason to make these not available is to make more sales and since FFG no longer sells these, they have no reason to not make these available anymore. I know FFG won't, but it'd sure be nice if they just published the quests on their site.

Having said that, I'm sure some fan will creat a scan of the rules someday soon for wveryone to enjoy...

-shnar

While sales of new prints of the 1.0 quests are not likely, I don't think that should give everyone free reign to trample over FFG's copyright. And for all anyone knows, they have plans to release the expansion quests in 2.0 versions, making their copyright protection still very much something FFG would be interested in maintaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
While sales of new prints of the 1.0 quests are not likely, I don't think that should give everyone free reign to trample over FFG's copyright. And for all anyone knows, they have plans to release the expansion quests in 2.0 versions, making their copyright protection still very much something FFG would be interested in maintaining.

I'm not talking sales, I'm just saying FFG should just release them on their website as a thank you for everyone who bought the games. They'd get a lot of love from the fans which translates into continued support of their current/future products, and it costs them nothing to do so, and they lose nothing to do so.

And yes, I said it's technically and legally correct to not reproduce these, and FFG would not only be within their rights to shut something like that down (for example, if a file appears on BGG of the quests, FFG would request BGG to take it down or face legal action), but they should shut things like that down. If they don't protect their IP now, then later in the future they have less legal strength to protect it if something bad did happen.

However, I personally like digital copies of everything I own, especially for out of print games. If the game was still in print, when I spill my Mt. Dew on the quest book, I could just go buy another copy. I cannot do that anymore. So am I supposed to be screwed or can I legally protect my copy? Yes, I can. I can scan copies and make backups of any copyrighted material I have legally purchased (at least, here in the US). I can also provide this backup to other people who have purchased the items as their 'legal backup'. The only illegal question here is providing copyrighted material to people who have not purchased a copy of the material.

So, can someone who has a legal digital copy of the questbook give it to someone else who has never purchased the game? Legally, no. That's an infringement of the copyright laws (at least in the US). However, it's up to the copyright holder to protect their IP. Since the game is out of print, the copyright holders make no money from the material anymore, there is no money being made for the copy, and it's done to a small selection of individuals, I don't imagine the copyright holders really caring...

-shnar

P.S. And Tony, It's not patent law, it's copyright law
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see the problem with releasing the scans of quest guide, but what good would come of having access to quest guides from add-ons? You would need both really heavy proxing and a lot of time to prepare. And we're talking aboud Descent 1E, which is already considered as something that takes too much time to set up.

I recently bought Descent 1E with all expansions, sea map, some of lieutentants and marble pieces below original shop prices and I don't see how anyone could consider playing the quests without actual components.

What I would like them to release is 2nd edition quest guide in digital format. Why? I do own the game, but other 4 players do not. It takes much more time to select quest than it should because everyone wants to read on each of the available quests, and there's only one booklet to share!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually scanned the Altar of Despair quest guide for some fellow BGG members a few months back. They had purchased the Italian edition of the expansion and needed the English quests. I obviously didn't post them here but I feel like Shnar made a good point. It's highly unlikely that they'd actually care about me making private scans at this point. That being said if anyone else needs those quest guides for similar reasons let me know. It'll take me a little bit but I'm happy to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.