Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Green
United States
Mclean
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the video with Phil at Essen, which got me really excited about the game but I'd love to see a video that walks through a few turns of play.

The game looks great but it's not the easiest rule book to learn from, and it doesn't give much of a sense for the flow of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sound609 wrote:
I watched the video with Phil at Essen, which got me really excited about the game but I'd love to see a video that walks through a few turns of play.

The game looks great but it's not the easiest rule book to learn from, and it doesn't give much of a sense for the flow of play.

Amen, brother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
dumpty wrote:
sound609 wrote:

Amen, brother!

I hope to provide this service (via my review) when i get the game and get it played...sorry I can't help sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of what I was trying to do with my thread here: A guided tour of Revolutionary Mexico

I've never done a board games video before. Hmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Green
United States
Mclean
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
dumpty wrote:
sound609 wrote:

Amen, brother!

I hope to provide this service (via my review) when i get the game and get it played...sorry I can't help sooner.

Thanks, Ryan, I look forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Green
United States
Mclean
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
This is kind of what I was trying to do with my thread here: A guided tour of Revolutionary Mexico

I've never done a board games video before. Hmm...

I saw this and found it really helpful but there's something about seeing a game being played that makes it so much easier (for me at least) to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
sound609 wrote:

Don't be afraid, the rule book is not as hard as it seems. Just give it a quick read through, then set the game up. As things come up, check them in the glossary. The game does a pretty good job of explaining itself. I found it easily the easiest of Eklund's games to learn. As far as teaching it goes, the hardest part is getting players to understand the victory conditions. Once they get that the game's burden of rules is no more than Agricola (maybe even less so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules and the busy cards make this game seem more complex than it is. It clicks into place very quickly if you read through the rules while soloing a couple of turns.

Also don't take this comment as a criticism of the rulebook; I love it. It's just a shame it got crudely folded in half to fit in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
[Note: I don't own the game yet.]

Call me slow, but it took me several read-throughs of the rules to "get it." First I went through the whole thing, let my brain absorb it, then I went back and read sections, pondered them / slept on it, etc. Eventually it all sank in, and I think I have a pretty good understanding of the game. I feel that after my first play it should be a breeze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
asfhgwt wrote:
[Note: I don't own the game yet.]

Call me slow, but it took me several read-throughs of the rules to "get it." First I went through the whole thing, let my brain absorb it, then I went back and read sections, pondered them / slept on it, etc. Eventually it all sank in, and I think I have a pretty good understanding of the game. I feel that after my first play it should be a breeze.

As with most things, the 2nd read-through is key. Eklund rarely writes teaching rulebooks and there's often a bunch of important stuff lodged at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.