Subject: Just some house-rules to spice things up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb
First, I adore the components, the use of empty space on the board, and the tiny score-markers.

Second, I find that while playing, there is not enough difference in the options that you can take. Basically every spot gives you some more points, just in different sets. And there's no real incentive to do more than maybe skip 1 space ahead depending on your character or what you've chosen to focus on.

So at the moment, we're trying these modifications to differentiate the spots a bit more.

- We're taking the extra money variant for the start of the game (first player is -x gold, last player is +x gold in the first turn).

- We're taking the same # of meals as there are players.

- The bath-deck has 1 chance in 2 to get the "monkey-bath". If you pull the monkey-bath, flip the top card of the souvenir deck. At the bottom the card has a price & a type. If it's a type you already have, the monkeys make off with your souvenir! (If you have more than one, you can pick the one they steal) If it's a type you don't have, then instead the monkeys hand you the mentioned amount of coins that they found/stole from other travellers.

- When all players have made it to the Inn, there is a moment of fraternization, since you're all on the same road. If you so wish, you can tell a story about one of the people you've met. Flip over one of the meeting-cards. The card no longer counts toward the achievement of "most people met". However, you move your traveller one space further from the road, ensuring a faster departure from the inn.

You can also give a player a gift of 1 souvenir. If he accepts the gift, you can swap places with him in the Inn. If not, no hard feelings.

Has anybody tried any other tweaks? Do you have any other comments or remarks?

Thanks A.Bauza for a fabulous looking game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
We tend to score at the end of the game, rather than during the game.

That said, I would love a variant that opens up the range of choices.

One simple, but a-thematic rule would be that if you both agree, you can switch adjacent different spaces and each get the action of the new space. My inclination is not to permit payment/promises/etc.

If going this route, people might be willing to help those in the back of the pack, but not the front runner, which is hard to determine if you don't keep in game score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jonathan,

I see. We're scoring non-stop during the game.
I'm not seeing where I work in payment or promises however?

But I do agree, there is an element of catch-up involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I was hoping not to have the game bog down if I offer to swaps spaces with you only if you pay me two coins (or promise not to go the farm next turn).

Basically, I move then ask if you want to swap and you say yes or no.

Since no space that a player is on is ever available to another player, this would be a way to have a chance to go backwards or forwards one space from where you moved to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah, definitely.

promises & upkeep is not the way of this game
Needs to stay easy & fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sloan Lee
United States
Farmers Branch
Texas
flag msg tools
"What is the soul of a man? ... ain't nothing but a burning light."
mbmbmbmbmb
Nisses wrote:
You can also give a player a gift of 1 souvenir. If he accepts the gift, you can swap places with him in the Inn.

I like this idea. I'll probably try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.