11 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 100 point self buffing Rebel Swarm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
I've tried to design a swarm Rebel build based around synergy and group buffing. The aim is to enhance the fire-power for as many of the X-Wings as possible by allowing them to use a focus and re-rolls due to target locks in the same attacks.

Garven Dreis (X-Wing)
- R2 Astromech

Dutch Vander (Y-Wing)
- Ion Turret
- R5-K5

Rookie Pilot (X-Wing)
- R2 Astromech

Rookie Pilot (X-Wing)

For a total of 100 points.

What should I do with the four points left over? I'm leaning towards R5-K5 on Vander for synergy with his ability, and R2 droids on Garven and one of the Rookies. Or are R5 droids better?

The other option is just a straight up proton torpedo.

It's less focused on having one kickass pilot who is the major threat, and concentrates on getting the most out of all pilots. There is some redundancy as if either Dreis or Vander dies the other can still buff the other x-wings around him. What do people think?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the falcon and use the Shield Upgrade of Garvein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm personally a fan of K5 on Dutch. But I don't play competitively so I don't know how good it is against most builds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
I am definitely leaning towards the K5. I hadn't considered upgrades from the falcon though. It is a few months away so probably just keep it to stuff that has been released already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably wouldn't bring a torp, but Garven could easily fire one with a Focus token and a free TL from Dutch, so it's not terrible.

R5-K6 on Dutch and 2x R2 Units on two of the X-Wings
-or-
R5 unit on Dutch and 3x R2 Units on the X-Wings (my preference)

Trouble is, I think R2 Units come in the Y-Wing expansion, so unless you have three of those you'll be hard pressed for three of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah, I've only got two two R2's. I was surprised that the core set didn't have any generic droids.

Thanks for the advice. The one R5, three R2s does sound like a good build. However, because it already fits with the synergy of the build, I'll go for R5-K5 on Dutch and two R2s.

What do you think of the build in general?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Freybeck
msg tools
mbmbmb
It looks solid as far as group buffing and fire power are concerned, but Im troubled by the low initiative. If you run against an Imperial Swarm running Vadar and a couple of Swarm Tactics in play, you might be in trouble.
Otherwise it looks like a good place to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
m1t1c1s wrote:
It looks solid as far as group buffing and fire power are concerned, but Im troubled by the low initiative. If you run against an Imperial Swarm running Vadar and a couple of Swarm Tactics in play, you might be in trouble.
Otherwise it looks like a good place to start.

Very true. That is a definite weakness. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Anderson
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played almost that exact list (I think I mis-added and didn't realize I had enough points for one more R2) against:

Vader w/Squad Leader + Concussion Missile
Initiative 7 TIE Advance guy with Expert Handling + Concussion Missile
Dark Curse
Backstabber
(Might be missing an upgrade, I'm not sure.)

Being out-initiatived was a challenge, but it's a tanky list and it outlasted the other guy. Replacing the other TIE Advance guy with two chumpy TIEs with Swarm Tactics might have been more of a threat, but he bagged an X-Wing with the two Concussion Missiles, so I dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
oldgregg wrote:
I played almost that exact list (I think I mis-added and didn't realize I had enough points for one more R2) against:

Vader w/Squad Leader + Concussion Missile
Initiative 7 TIE Advance guy with Expert Handling + Concussion Missile
Dark Curse
Backstabber
(Might be missing an upgrade, I'm not sure.)

Being out-initiatived was a challenge, but it's a tanky list and it outlasted the other guy. Replacing the other TIE Advance guy with two chumpy TIEs with Swarm Tactics might have been more of a threat, but he bagged an X-Wing with the two Concussion Missiles, so I dunno.

Yeah, I figure that when taking a four ship Rebel build you will always end up with a few low skill ships so it's not that bad. The X-Wings should be hardy enough to survive until they get a chance to shoot. There is also some redundancy in the list. Garven is the obvious target but even when he goes Vander is still there to provide target locks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a very similar list, but I stripped out all the droids and added Biggs instead of a rookie X-wing.

It takes some maneuvering practice to keep Biggs at a distance from the enemy but at least range 1 from Garvin. Since both Dutch and Garvin are skill 6, make sure you move Garvin first and focus him, so that he can be in range to get a target lock after Dutch moves and gets one, and then make sure you fire first with Garvin if you want to be able to pass the focus to Dutch to use the ion cannon, though it might be smarter to pass the focus to Biggs for defense or the rookie for added damage.

This list will suffer from not firing first, which is why I think you need Biggs. Garvin will be the primary target for the Imps, and he might die in the opening volley if you don't have their shots split between him and Biggs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.