BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Clash of Cultures v Through the Ages rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jane doe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Has anyone played both Clash of Cultures and Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization?

I would love a review on what people think are the strengths and weaknesses of both.

If you could just have one what would it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane doe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just bumping this up.

I really am on the brink of buying a civ game and would love a comparison.

I know only a relatively small number of people have played Clash of Cultures but surely somebody had played both it and Through the Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/874723/my-initial-take-o...

I decided on CoC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
I'm sure if you wait till monday, most of the BGG.CON folks will be back an anxious to talk about it. I look forward to hearing about Clash of Cultures as well. That and waiting for my gaming buddies to return with a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I look forward to hearing about Clash of Cultures as well. That and waiting for my gaming buddies to return with a copy.

That makes two of us... Although, not sure if there will be a copy coming back or not with my geekpals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very looking forward to CoC as well. TTA looks like it's not my style at all. Just way too dry and abstracted for my taste. I'm more interested to see what happens as far as CoC and Archipelago are concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Well, so far from guys I play Through the Ages with all the time gave replies to the effect that it was "not bad". These are guys who love TTA, so I guess you can take that how you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jacevy wrote:
Has anyone played both Clash of Cultures and Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization?

I would love a review on what people think are the strengths and weaknesses of both.

If you could just have one what would it be?

I played clash of cultures a few weeks back here in canberra... it does do civ building well and it feels like it is on a large scale... however it doesn't feel very dynamic and seems to take ages to do anything ... maybe i need tolay it a few more times to get a better feel for it.

i've not played the other game you've asked about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I'm sure if you wait till monday, most of the BGG.CON folks will be back an anxious to talk about it. I look forward to hearing about Clash of Cultures as well. That and waiting for my gaming buddies to return with a copy.

Well, you're in luck. Tim and I both picked it up. It's pretty good but I wouldn't say it's better than TTA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both once, and I didnt like either that much, but I can tell you about the games (so I'll say that now).

Both games are abstract civilisation game to some degree. Are you assuming that you want this type of game rather than something a little more direct like Eclipse or Sid Meier's Civilisation? Personally, I prefer something I can see on the board.

Assuming that you do want an abstract Civ game, I think that CoC is the better game, as I like at least having a board to move settlers/soldiers etc round on.

There is some accountancy in both games. In TTA you have to fiddle around with the little pips to account for the spending of your resources. In CoC, you buy abilities for your culture, and keeping your head round which abilities you have upgraded, for me, was hard to keep acccount of. But if you like / have the head for building combos, you will like this. In CoC, resources are counted on a sliding scale at the top, which, for me, was easier to manage.

Do you want a board and dudes to move round, or do you want the whole game to be about the cards?

More of my friends own TTA. I don't like TTA that much, but I know many people who love it and play it a lot, but I think replay rewards an understanding and memory of the cards that will come up. Only one of my friends currently has CoC, but the other people who played it with us enjoyed the game and would have wanted to play again (although I did not).

Anyway, hope this helps you a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the civilization theme, these two games a nothing alike. I would say that this game does for the civilization building genre what Eclipse did for the space 4x genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxtrot2620 wrote:
I would say that this game does for the civilization building genre what Eclipse did for the space 4x genre.

Which game is "this game"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
foxtrot2620 wrote:
I would say that this game does for the civilization building genre what Eclipse did for the space 4x genre.

Which game is "this game"?

Clash of Cultures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
foxtrot2620 wrote:

Steal its name and shoot its dog?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.