Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason John
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)True or False: Once a lock is made, it does not need "maintenance" of any sort (AKA it will never deteriorate as long as it remains on the station panel. If it's taken off obviously the lock goes with it.)

If True: Is sensors really easy for mission 1? Three energy "gets" you three locks, leaving the remaining for breaks and supers. Which brings me to. . .

2) From what I can see, breaks aren't really helpful due to the order of operations. It appears that. . .
* After the ship finishes moving, the lock break is resolved.
* Then damage may or may not be done. If it is, the ship automatically re locks, rendering the break useless. Otherwise. . .
* The enemy rolls to lock. If successful, it moves anyway (but see below,) if not, it stays where it is.

Is this correct?

Because, according to this, the only use for breaking is to either retreat from a situation (which is bad due to the nemesis,) or to keep battles as close to 1v1 as possible (which A: takes longer, which means the nemesis gets closer, B: probably easier managed by helm, and C: is probably better to deal with via weapons (AKA blowing it up) and shields (absorbing damage.) Not really exciting stuff.

This makes the sensor station in training scenario Alpha even less important. After everything is locked, breaks aren't really important, leaving only supers to deal with. But I think I'm assuming something here, like. . .

3) Does a ship "locking on" take up it's movement? (AKA: Does the ship "lock-on" during turn 1, and then waits to move and/or fire on turn 2, or does it have no such waiting period?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Locks remain from turn to turn. You can lose them if the ship moves through nebula spaces. This tends to happen at the worst moments, of course. A viable strategy can be to put some energy in sensors onto key targets that you have already locked as insurance in case Helm is taking you through nebula.

Superlocks can be critically important for tractor beams, and for the harder enemies.

2. Your sequence on breaking locks is correct. Enemies will try to reacquire you, and will automatically do so if you hit them with a torpedo.

Breaking Locks is useful if you are trying to get away from someone. If you are planning on attacking them that turn, or if you are planning on staying close to them, it is usually not worthwhile to break a lock.

But if you are moving away and don't want someone to chase you, breaking locks can be really valuable. For example, in Mission 1, if you grab the first or second crystal but have not killed the enemies, you can break lock with them as you head off towards the next crystal.

Remember, in most missions you do NOT need to kill all the enemies to win. So doing what you need to do and running away can be good.

Sector Scans and, if you are playing with the Advanced Systems, Cloaking can also be really useful depending on the situation.

In training mission Alpha, because of the time constraint of only six turns, getting a few superlocks can be very important.

3. An enemy that gains a lock on the players gets to move and fire immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason John
United States
Whitinsville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, almost forgot about nebulas. It still doesn't seem like sensors show it's true colors until traning mission beta, but then again, a new sensors officer probably will be very thankful for the breathing room the first training mission gives them. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
Enemies will try to reacquire you, and will automatically do so if you hit them with a torpedo.

The rules say:

If the players fire on an enemy ship, it automatically locks onto the players.

Are they worded badly and should say they automatically lock onto the players if the players HIT the enemy ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firing on them, even if you miss, KIND OF gets their attention and declares where you are, so I would rule that even if you miss they would still lock onto you.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I was thinking...just wanted verification from the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
That's what I was thinking...just wanted verification from the designer.

The rule that is intended is that if you do 1 or more points of damage they lock onto your ship (even if it is absorbed by their shield). If you completely miss they don't see you.

I'll have to check to see what I actually wrote...

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Geoff. Was wondering if you re-looked at this? Should we play this as written?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
Hi Geoff. Was wondering if you re-looked at this? Should we play this as written?

The rule that was intended is that you need to actually do a point of damage, but that's not what I put into the rules.

The rules should say "If the players fire on an enemy ship and do at least one point of damage (whether it is stopped by shields or not) it automatically locks onto the players"

I'm working on a rules update, and this will be included.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.