Subject: Is This Game Worth It? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Acquired a used copy after an arduous search and a substantial cash outlay.
Was this game REALLY going to live up to it's glowing reviews?

From the first flip of an event card, I was hooked. It's remarkable that a game of such sweeping scope can be so captivating. What an ingenious design, incorporating international and domestic politics, strategic and tactical scales, air, land and naval combat - on, above, and under the surface all in a package that is lovely to look at, easy to learn, and impossible to walk away from (I've slept less than 3 hours the last 2 nights).

How is it possible for the AI to be so good?
How did the Argies know that 3 of the first 4 ships they took out were my best AA assets (T42s)?
Why was the weather the worst on a day I had to fly my squadron commanders (losing them BOTH to landing accidents -ouch!), but clear and bright during the ENTIRE WEEK of the highest Argie air threats?
How come my best carrier was hors de combat for THREE DAYS when I needed it most?
And why does their never seem to be enough Harriers for the task at hand?

I love the decisions this game forces you to make, the uncomfortable risks it demands, the tension it creates. I love the discomforts imposed by falling international opinion; that domestic opinion can't win the war, but can lose it for you. How the flavor of the game changes once the landings begin, and how it punishes you if you lose focus on THE MISSION in the face of so many lethal distractions.

Hard to believe that so much can be achieved by little bits of cardboard.
And oh yeah, it's worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto Fu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, sooooo jealous. gulp soblue

Just hope it gets reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it is already decided that they will reprint it next year ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto Fu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evil_puck wrote:
I thought it is already decided that they will reprint it next year ?

Last I saw from Dan Hodges was
danielhodges' wrote:
I've been in touch with my manufacturers, and they're getting back to me on costs.

I'll hopefully have more news next week.

on Sept 20th. Have I missed a later update?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the latest update. There's been no official announcement of a date, at least here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great summary from the OP. I have an extensive collection of games, most of which I find engaging and thoroughly enjoyable, but this one clinches it for me on tension and absorbtion levels. Successes achieved in this game always feel hard fought for and the disappointments that come your way can have a crushing impact on your strategy and efforts.

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
navigator37 wrote:
How is it possible for the AI to be so good?

The game knows!
Or in other words: Humans are much more predictable than cardboard

Thanks for your review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it really is one of the best solitaire AIs I've had the pleasure of losing to.

I haven't played a lot lately but both of my last two games ended with loud explosions aboard troop carriers offloading during the land invasion. The subsequent British inquiries determined that Argentine fighters had found their targets while Harriers stayed on the decks due to terrible weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the review? Why is this listed under the heading of "review"?

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.