Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
badge
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
mbmbmbmbmb
Puncture

a car over-accelerates on turn 1 from speed zero to 3. the dice roll results in a part failure and puncture.

Is it correct that there is no handling test on turn 1?

On turn 2, the car over-decelerates back to zero.

Is it correct that there is no handling test on turn 2?

Is the tire replaced on turn 2?

If the car in question had 4 tire damage, would this be fixed at the same time with only one wheel used?

For the puncture handling test, if you roll no warning signs outside of a curve, is it no effect (i.e. the car doesn't drift due to the puncture on a straight)?

Technical Issue Forcing Stop

What does 'put the car off the road' mean in detail? The car marker is actually taken off the track so that it doesn't block any other cars? If so, how does it re-enter the track? It seems like you would 'drift' the car off the track without advancing, and then it's first move would be back into the square it drifted off at...

Next Stage Starting Order

End of stage 1, the five cars are:

#1 1h 4m 18s (started 3rd)
#2 1h 8m 8s (started 1st)
#3 1h 9m 57s (started 2nd)
#4 1h 13m 22s (started 4th)
#5 1h 13m 31s (started 5th)

For the stage 2 start, which is correct?

Option #1 = Car #1 + Car #2 start turn 1, Car #3 + Car #4 + Car #5 start turn 2.

Option #2 = Car #1 turn 1, Car #2 turn 2, Car #3 turn 3, Car #4 turn 4, and Car #5 turn 5.

Another confusion is that stage 1 was a flying arrival, with the 'autopilot' thru the city. Since Car #2 started stage 1 first (4 turns ahead of #1, or 20 minutes), Car #1 was still 15 minutes behind #2, so #2 was passed in the city 'autopilot'? Basically, the first stage has delayed starts, but everyone gets 'squeezed together' at the start of stage 2?

I think this same logic applies to hours and visibility - car 5 started 8 turns after car 1 (40 minutes), but time-wise the stage 2 start is 9:30AM for everyone?

I am sure I am making this more complicated than it is!whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question - for crossing the control point at speed 3; do you finish when you exit the hex, or when you enter the square with the line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Amaddeo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Chad!

I'll try to clear every doubt point to point:

1)a car over-accelerates on turn 1 from speed zero to 3. the dice roll results in a part failure and puncture.

Is it correct that there is no handling test on turn 1?

Something wrong here: if you over-accelerate, you have to check the "Acceleration Table". The possible damage involve Engine and Transmission and even a part failure. Be sure to toss on Acceleration Table: no Handling test is involved at this point.

2)On turn 2, the car over-decelerates back to zero.

Is it correct that there is no handling test on turn 2?

If you over-brake, you are using the so-called "Emergency braking points": these points are characterized on the Throttle Strip of The Car Performance Card by yellow, orange, red or candy boxes. You have to check the "Braking Table": on the first column you see the same emergency braking points colors. Let's say that your 3 points-braking equals to a Yellow Emergency Braking for your car: in this case the result would be "1 damage point to Tires OR Braking Test". You are free to chose whether to assess 1 damage point to tires or to risk a Braking Test (see the table a little bit on the right).

3) Is the tire replaced on turn 2?

If a Tire is available among the Spare parts you can fix it anytime you want: the only thing to do is to stop by the road and change your tire. This will replenish 4 damage points on your tires strip. Obviously you have to erase the spare part used from your spare parts list. Generally speaking, you can fix any mechanical problem anytime you want, just stopping by the road or at an Aid Point along the way.

4) If the car in question had 4 tire damage, would this be fixed at the same time with only one wheel used?

This is correct. 2 tires changed = 8 points and so on...

5) For the puncture handling test, if you roll no warning signs outside of a curve, is it no effect (i.e. the car doesn't drift due to the puncture on a straight)?

Never considered it, but it definitely works. So let's assume it as a general rule.

6) Technical Issue Forcing Stop

What does 'put the car off the road' mean in detail? The car marker is actually taken off the track so that it doesn't block any other cars? If so, how does it re-enter the track? It seems like you would 'drift' the car off the track without advancing, and then it's first move would be back into the square it drifted off at...

Yes, you just put your car out of the playing track to avoid any block. When you have to re-enter in race, just put your car on the closest available track space.

7) Next Stage Starting Order

End of stage 1, the five cars are:

#1 1h 4m 18s (started 3rd)
#2 1h 8m 8s (started 1st)
#3 1h 9m 57s (started 2nd)
#4 1h 13m 22s (started 4th)
#5 1h 13m 31s (started 5th)

For the stage 2 start, which is correct?

Option #1 = Car #1 + Car #2 start turn 1, Car #3 + Car #4 + Car #5 start turn 2.

Option #2 = Car #1 turn 1, Car #2 turn 2, Car #3 turn 3, Car #4 turn 4, and Car #5 turn 5.

The starting order on stage 1 was

Car1 (5mins)
Car2 (5mins)
Car3 (5mins)
Car4 (5mins)
Car5

At the end of stage 1:
Car2 has lost 5 minutes on Car3; Car4 and Car5 have lost 5 minutes on Car1. So, summing up, stage 2 departure times will be:

Car1 (5mins or 1 turn)
Car2, Car 3 (10 mins or 2 turns)
Car4 (1 turn)
Car5

In fact, Car2 did not gain any time on Car1 so the initial delay is still active. Car3, instead, gained 1 turn on Car2 so they will start together on the starting line (Car2 moves first); Car 4 and 5 have lost another turn that you have to add to the initial delay.

This is the general rule and the most realistic and historical one: obviously you are free to change it to make it leaner, if you wish!

This should explain also your confusion about the flying arrival: I mean the gap you calculate at the end of a stage is exactly the same you will use on next stage, whatever the finish line was a Flying Arrival or a Checkpoint: you have to imagine that the finish line of a stage is exactly the starting line of the next one (don't get confused by the autopilot thing).

8) I think this same logic applies to hours and visibility - car 5 started 8 turns after car 1 (40 minutes), but time-wise the stage 2 start is 9:30AM for everyone?

Obviously not, each player moves the time track independently, that's why when drivers get closer to the nighttime, leaders may race together the stage in daylight, but late drivers may race the stage at the moonlight: for the turn-based-delay thing, they will not race altogether.

9) I am sure I am making this more complicated than it is!

Yes and not I mean basically the best approach with Legend is to wonder "what happens in real-life?": this is how we did build the rules. For example, if a car get faster than the opponent it gains time (or turns), if I have to make some repairs, I stop by the road on the grass, trying to make it as fast as possible, if I approach a curve too fast I damage the tires, or I may drift due to the understeering or even lose control of my car.
This may get complicated when the regulation of the real race come into play with checkpoints, race timings, delays and so on. Probably the best thing to do would be to spend some more words on the historical race: I believe that many doubts may be solved giving a deepen perspective of the historical race. I'll get after this and I'll make a post on BGG.

In any case, I find this posts very very useful for anybody, because it gives us the chance to explain tricky points of the rules, so I strongly encourage to ask even "stupid" things: no question is ever stupid, so...ask ask ask!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Amaddeo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You always have to cross the line, so....exit the hex with no problem at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For question #1 and #2, I think you missed that the car had a TIRE PUNCTURE part failure caused by the over-acceleration. So, the question concerns how many handling rolls need to be made if the car stops that next turn.

So, turn 1, over-accelerate and get two warnings on the dice, so I roll for a part failure and get tire puncture. Do I also have to immediately make a handling roll when I move? The rules say I roll 'on the next move', so it sounds like I don't have to make a handling roll.

On turn 2, I completely stop, either with normal braking or over-braking with no warnings on the dice. Since I am speed zero, it seems like I wouldn't need to make a handling roll. Also, since I am speed zero, I repair the puncture.

On turn 3, I accelerate with a standing start.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Amaddeo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so you over-accelerated, got 2 warning signs, rolled for a part failure and the result was a puncture. Ok, now it's clear.

The roll for problems should be made before or after the car movement, depending on when the mishap may logically happen: for example, in case of an over-acceleration or of a standing start the issue will happen before the car movement, so I suggest to roll the dice before moving your pawn. For braking or a lost control, probably the problem would happen when entering a curve, so roll for it at the end of the movement or right before the curve.

In your case, I'd say the puncture happens while over-accelerating, so roll for the handling test before moving your car. On turn 2 I agree that if your are standing still, you don't need to make the handling test BUT, you are moving from a certain speed to 0, so before the movement you have to make the handling test (the meaning is "will I lose control while reducing my speed?").

This bring us to another point: if you have a technical problem and you wish to stop for repairs, you don't need to decelerate up to a stop. Just stop by the road and make your repairs. On the Speed Chart you will mark a "0" as your speed for the turn. For example you have suffered a puncture while over-accelerating: AFTER the Part Failure roll but BEFORE the handling test, you can decide to stop by and fix your wheel. You write "0" on your speed chart for that turn (if you already noted a speed for that turn, just score it and write "0") and repair your tire (obviously you don't need to make a handling test anymore). On next turn you will accelerate with a standing start.

Let me know if there's any obscure point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marlett
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, it is clear now. We were playing that you had to decelerate to stop before making repairs; that made it very painful to have a part failure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.