Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hatton
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have already been the inevitable numerous threads on storage solutions that every good game with a lot of bits spawns, so I naturally thought I’d add to the glut.

As we all know, this game is great and invites much spending. I bought a core set and promptly ordered a second core set plus 2 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 2 Tie Advanced, and 4 Tie fighters before even playing it once. It happens (often with this game, if this forum is to be believed).

So I had to come up with a way to store it all. And I really love the notion of having everything in a nice dedicated, solid box. Wood just feels nicer than cardboard.

I’ve seen people’s pics of Arkham Horror stored in the cases that Hobby Lobby sells as well as other games, but this thread on Dominion storage inspired me the most. So much, in fact, that I built one myself. I thought these cases would come in handy for many games with lots of expansions and whatnot.

Since the way the Dominion box is set up doesn’t require the use of the inner tray or dividers, I had those parts extra to use with the case I’d employ for X-Wing storage.

I made asteroids by spraying and dry-brushing various sizes of lava rocks and gluing them onto plastic character/chit stands (leftover from other Fantasy Flight games like Arkham Horror).

I Put the X-Wing logo onto a couple of Plano boxes (no. 3449) to hold the various cardboard tokens and the plastic ship posts. The logos are from the advertisement sheets that came in the core sets cut to size (just about a perfect fit really... not much trimming), sprayed with a gloss sealant spray and glued on with 3M Super 77 adhesive spray.

I lightly sanded the face of the artist’s case and did a space scene with spray paint (exactly like the tabletop playmats I made for the game in this other thread). After spraying with a matte sealant I again used the 3M Super 77 to glue the logo on. This logo is from the side of the core set box. I Used a straight edge and an exacto knife to cut lightly around the logo. I then very carefully peeled off only the nice linen-finish surface paper with the printing on it. None of the cardboard beneath it.

Here’s a shot of the box opened up. You can see the inner trays sit up high enough so that when the case is closed and carried by its handle the things inside stay put. No opening up the case and finding ships and other things all over the place.

This pic shows the upper tray. All of my current mini’s in their various felt-lined compartments. Not sure how well the Millennium Falcon or Slave I might fit, but there is a lot of space here. The black foam in the top section is just there filling space for now. So are the two bags of chits in the bottom section. There is also a ton of space on the bottom of the case, but we’ll get to that later. Rebel and Imperial pilot cards each have their own trading card box.

In this pic you can see both trays.

Here’s the lower tray. Plano boxes, asteroids, etc. The dice sets are each in a small plastic square box I found at Hobby Lobby also. The damage decks are in their own trading card box which is divided by black foamcore so as to also fit a set of targeting tokens.

This pic shows the bottom of the case where I’ve used the divider slats that come with the case (normally placed across the case horizontally in the grooves) trimmed down and glued along the front and back edges to act as a ledge for the two trays to sit on above. The movement templates and rulers are sitting comfortably in their custom cut foam holders. The rest of the foam is just a space filler for now.

Now I'm just waiting on more stuff to be released. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deniper Deniper
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice looking build this may inspire me to try it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work, but how do you use that asteroids in game?
Houseruled to work like overlapping with other ships to change the ship position if it ends on there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hatton
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zyankalium wrote:
Nice work, but how do you use that asteroids in game?
Houseruled to work like overlapping with other ships to change the ship position if it ends on there?

That, or we've also put the cardboard asteroids that come with the game on the board as normal with these on top of them. They are similar in size, so the three dimensional one can just be lifted off if need be for those who fly a little too close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'll have to try and find something like this, I need a better storage solution now that I've done something similar with lava rock asteroids. I ended up putting mine on some home made flight stands, but it still looks like I'd have room I think. I don't think Hobby Lobby has any Canadian Stores though, bleh.

I use the second solution for the rules that Jason mentions, just put the original card stock asteroids underneath and if it looks like you need to rule on it, plop the 3D asteroid out of the way for a round and continue as normal.

I find it adds so much to the "cool" factor of the game and lets you bring a little of the amazing terrain you see in regular miniatures games to X-Wing. I have dreams of a "Cloud City/Bespin" play board with fluffy cotton clouds and gas mining platforms etc..hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morley

Lebanon
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

Can you post links to the other parts you purchased as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hatton
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of it was stuff I had already. Sheets of self adhesive felt, pieces of craft basswood, trading card boxes, the Plano storage boxes. Not sure which stuff you wanted links to.
You could get the trading card boxes at any game or comic/card store. Hobby Lobby even carries them.
The 3M Super 77 adhesive spray is readily available. You can pick it up at home improvement stores, Meijer, Walmart, Michael's, etc.
The adhesive felt sheets and basswood are both available from any craft store.
The Plano boxes are available anywhere that sells fishing gear. Meijer, Walmart, sporting goods stores.
The square clear boxes with the dice I found at Hobby Lobby. I couldn't find them on their website though. I can tell you that they were in the aisle near the back right side of the store where they carry glass containers like mason jars and the like.

Hopefully that is helpful. If you want further clarification, just ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoras wrote:
I'll have to try and find something like this, I need a better storage solution now that I've done something similar with lava rock asteroids. I ended up putting mine on some home made flight stands, but it still looks like I'd have room I think. I don't think Hobby Lobby has any Canadian Stores though, bleh.

I use the second solution for the rules that Jason mentions, just put the original card stock asteroids underneath and if it looks like you need to rule on it, plop the 3D asteroid out of the way for a round and continue as normal.

I find it adds so much to the "cool" factor of the game and lets you bring a little of the amazing terrain you see in regular miniatures games to X-Wing. I have dreams of a "Cloud City/Bespin" play board with fluffy cotton clouds and gas mining platforms etc..hehe.

You can try any Artist supply store (Curry's, Loomis, etc.) they should have these exact wood boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great solution, I was looking to do something similar, but I hadn't found the wooden box yet.

I've settled for an aluminium briefcase, that I still have to fill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of these days, I'm getting this:

Out of my parents' house and finding a way to make it work for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hatton
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:

I had one of those! Wish I still had all of my old Star Wars toys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Simmons
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Very nice, though question...won't those asteroids models be a problem when you want your ship to share the same 3-D space as the asteroid? Unless I am mistaken, a ship and rest on top of an asteroid because of the 3-D space of the game...you would just need to accommodate the + defense on being attacked and so forth...or am I wrong there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hatton
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven, thanks. Look up higher in the thread and you'll see your question asked by another user. I just put these asteroids on top of the cardboard ones, so if need be, the 3D ones can just be moved for a turn and the cardboard ones used for game effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hatton
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:

Someone beat you to it:

My "Retro" storage solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Anthony Robinson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:

Great minds think alike! I hadn't even seen this thread when I had made the bid on eBay for my very own. It works pretty well, actually; I was very happy with how well the stands fit in there. Larger ships won't go in, but the TIE Interceptors and A-Wings should fit just fine once they come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Chasse
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
12/7/12

If anyone is interested in doing something similar

There is a 40% off one item coupon on the Hobby Lobby website.
I was able to snag 2 cases for $33 (inc. tax) w/ FREE SHIPPING.

Can't wait...

TX Jason!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battlefoam guys have a good solution here. It's a little spendey but looks perfect for a non-DIY-er like myself.

Start with the Star Wars Game Foam PACK 216

Put it in the PACK 216

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sozin wrote:
The Battlefoam guys have a good solution here. It's a little spendey but looks perfect for a non-DIY-er like myself.

Yup. THats what I did and I'm very happy with it. Pricey but it was 'done in one'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.