Popular Tags: [View All]
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Not really RS, or P, but just had to vent about an experience I had today. I needed to renew my driver's license and had to take the driving test and was failed on it.

The DMV employee mumbled to me to go to the door of the building and mumble mumble mumble mumble keys. I said, "I'm sorry, sir. I didn't catch what you wanted me to do with my keys."

"I SAID go stand by the door and wait for me and don't go outside!"

Waiting patiently. Waiting. Waiting.

"Well, let's GO."

The dude was surly, so I figured I had better pay close attention to everything. He snapped every instruction that he didn't mumble. Once we were on the road, he told me to get into the left lane, which I did.

As a turn approached, he snapped, "Sir, I said turn left!"

(Figuring it would be ill-advised to correct him, I complied quietly.)

So I turn left. After a bit, I drive past a stopped commuter bus, paying attention for speed limit signs. As I round a bend, I see one that says 35mph, I slow down to 35mph.

"TURN LEFT."

I turn left, and the car in front of me turns left, too. Then drifts to a near-stop in the middle of the road without using brakes. I come to a complete stop and wait for it to move. Eventually, the driver puts on his right turn signal, sits there for a moment, then pulls over to the curb and comes to a complete stop, sitting there with the right turn signal on.

I go around.

Muttering, the guy tells me "Turn left at that road ahead."

There are two roads very close together, with just one house separating them. I ask him which of the two roads he means.

"SIR, TURN LEFT AT THAT ROAD."

No gesture to indicate which one he meant, so I turn at the first one.

In a tone of exasperation, Captain McMotherfucker sighs, "Just... just drive around the circle." I do. "Turn right." I do.

Now the car that was driving terribly before is parked perpendicular to the road, blocking the way. I come to a complete stop. It just sits there, then backs up into the curb, starts to pull forward, then just sits there at a 45 degree angle, pointed against traffic in its lane. I wait. Nothing happens. More waiting. The passenger waves me on. I go.

On the way back, he told me turn left at an intersection that was marked right turn only. I said, "But the intersection is marked right turn only."

"Sir, TURN LEFT."

When I get back to the DMV, the dude walks me back to his desk and says, "Sir, you do realize that this was a driving test, right? You do understand that you were being evaluated?"

Yes, sir.

"Well, you sure didn't drive like it! You made numerous errors and failed your test."

I'm sorry, what errors did I make?

"You drove 40 in a 35."

I'm sorry, but I paid close attention to the signs the whole way and didn't exceed the speed limit the entire time. Where did I speed?

"You went 40 in a 35, sir."

But where? I didn't see any signs for 35mph when I was going 40mph.

"I ride that route every day, and there was a sign you ignored. You can't go 40 in a 35 while you're taking a driving test! You also drove around a car executing a 3-point turn without even applying your brakes. Twice."

Sir, I came to complete stop in both instances and waited for the car to complete its maneuver, which it didn't do either time. In fact, the other driving instructor waved me on the second time.

"No, he didn't, and you did not come to a complete stop. You never even touched your brakes, driving around in the other lane."

Back and forth. I was completely stunned, the skin on my neck was flushed red and I was shaking with anger. There was obviously no way I was going to get traction with this guy, but the audacity of him to completely fabricate events to fail me was amazing.

I was about to extract myself when he said, "And you changed lanes twice without checking your mirrors."

What? I only changed lanes once, and I most certainly checked my mirror. I could see there was no car behind me from my rear view mirror, and looked in my driver side mirror to be sure.

"If you had checked your mirror, your head would have turned."

I don't need to turn my head, I can see the other lane from my mirror...

"And you didn't check the mirror the second time you changed lanes."

When I turned into the left turn lane from the left lane?

"Yes."

It's a turn lane... the only way someone could have gotten into it so that I would need to look for them in my mirror is if they had driven over the curb and were driving through bushes and signs in the median.

"You still should have checked your mirror."

Since he was mentally and/or morally challenged and it was clear that nothing was going to change as a result of challenging his authority, I walked to the front to ask some questions of someone who wasn't a complete dick, since part of the reason I needed to renew was to get a new photo id.

The woman at the front, who had been as surly as any DMV employee typically is, glanced at Captain McMotherFucker, then looked at me and said, "I'm sorry."

I left and drove the route to see where the 35mph sign was. It was where the bus had been parked, so there was no way I could have seen that the speed limit changed. Furthermore, it was 0.1 of a mile to the next speed limit sign, where I slowed down before reaching it. So I calculate that I was going 40 mph for <=9 seconds.

I know people can be petty, but damn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I can't wait until they're running every hospital and clinic, can you?!

The DMV?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Aetheros wrote:
Not really RS, or P, but just had to vent about an experience I had today. ....
You've done well - no police were called.

And you've reminded me that if I'm going to be tested by an arse hole then I may as well cancel the test and go have a drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Should we judge a private company by the actions of one worker who hates their job? I take it this never happens in private hospitals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday the pizza guy delivered my pizza thirty minutes late and my pizza was cold and also I got no dipping sauce like I wanted and he looked all pissy at me when I didn't give him a tip, so clearly this means that capitalism has completely failed and it's time for us to all organize into collective farms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
EVERYONE who fails is convinced they passed and has a radically different memory of the test than the instructor.

My friend was a test admin at one time. He had to call the police more than once to get an irate failed subject removed.

If he says you went 40, maybe you went 40.

They don't WANT to fail you - it only makes more work for them.

But some subjects are tests for THEM and they have to be super careful you're not a sting.

I really and truly hate to sound like a total jerk, but I would much rather they fail you than pass you. The default, when in doubt, should definitely be fail.

And I would NEVER have passed those cars without asking the guy what to do first to make sure he was on the same page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
EVERYONE who fails is convinced they passed and has a radically different memory of the test than the instructor.

My friend was a test admin at one time. He had to call the police more than once to get an irate failed subject removed.

But some subjects are tests for THEM and they have to be super careful you're not a sting.

I really and truly hate to sound like a total jerk, but I would much rather they fail you than pass you. The default, when in doubt, should definitely be fail.

And I would NEVER have passed those cars without asking the guy what to do first to make sure he was on the same page.
A mate of mine failed hid first test because he missed a left turn, after much prompting we weadled out of him the fact that he had missed the left turn...by driving to the opposite side of the road, crossing lanes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

For my first driving test, I was very nervous and would not have been surprised if I failed. I finished up by locking my keys in the car.

But sometimes they just want to fail you. I can't tell you the reason.

My first motorcycle test, the instructor was surly and would only give partial instructions. And of course I failed for something he didn't tell me. When I went back a couple weeks later, I had better luck and got a friendly person who actually told me what was required and had no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

mightygodking wrote:
Yesterday the pizza guy delivered my pizza thirty minutes late and my pizza was cold and also I got no dipping sauce like I wanted and he looked all pissy at me when I didn't give him a tip, so clearly this means that capitalism has completely failed and it's time for us to all organize into collective farms.

Don't we already have a pizza/healthcare thread? I thought this one was for bitching about the DMV?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

mightygodking wrote:

Don't we already have a pizza/healthcare thread? I thought this one was for bitching about the DMV?
But the DMV will soon he handling Pizza deliveries and healthcare as well as pissing of excellent drivers who made no mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ugolini
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
rshipley wrote:

My first motorcycle test, the instructor was surly and would only give partial instructions. And of course I failed for something he didn't tell me. When I went back a could weeks later, I had better luck and got a friendly person who actually told me what was required and had no problem.

My brother failed his first driving test in a similar scene, so I was very nervous when my turn came around. Until the evaluator walked into the waiting room and said in a really thick Italian accent, "Which one of you is Ugolini?"

"Me, sir."

"Hi. My name's Scarlatti. Let's go for a drive."

In the car, he said, "Just drive around for a while." Which I did. I don't recall if he even made me parallel park.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
You guys are so cute when you're trying to defend government.
We are not defended government, we are saying you cannot judge an organisation by one worker (especially when the complainant may be biased).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
DMV horror stories about as common as your NHS horror stories.

So... statistically uncommon and elevated unduly as compared to their real impact based on their emotional effect on the stupid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
You guys are so cute when you're trying to defend government.
We are not defended government, we are saying you cannot judge an organisation by one worker (especially when the complainant may be biased).

DMV horror stories about as common as your NHS horror stories.
So in fact a tiny percentage of cases. I wonder how many horror stories there are about McDonalds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Right, because there are no small-minded, grumpy, petty bureaucrats in those places now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
You guys are so cute when you're trying to defend big government.

I wasn't defending big government, I was worrying about your mental condition.

Without "big government" we might not have a world wide web and your above comment would disappear in a puff of logic.
Dingoes kidneys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
Its Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

The difference is that you can choose to do business with a different pizza place, a place in competition for your dollar. You cannot choose a different DMV. The pizza driver can be relatively easily fired, government employees rarely so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutrender wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

The difference is that you can choose to do business with a different pizza place, a place in competition for your dollar. You cannot choose a different DMV. The pizza driver can be relatively easily fired, government employees rarely so.
What there is only one driving tester for each town in the USA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I actually aknowledged I went 40 in the OP. However, I totally understand the prejudice that I must have been in the wrong. In fact, it's part of what's so infuriating about it: you automatically discredit yourself by complaining.

As for the rest, it may be that I am delusional, which would be option C. I would expect to experience some other dissonance that led me to believe that people perceive the world radically different than I do, and I wrongfully persecuted by others. Since this a singular incident for me and I generally am the go-to for discussion of what actually happened in a dispute, I'm disinclined to concede.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutrender wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

They can't fire the pizza driver - nobody else can get a license in that town!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I failed my first driving test within 30 seconds of leaving the lot because I didn't turn on my wind-shield wipers in the fog. To prove the "instructor's" point, she asked me to look out my driver-side window as proof there's enough condensation:

DMV lady: "Look out your left window; what do you see?"

Me: "Everything..?"

DMV lady: "Your window is dripping wet! What if a BIRD came at you?"

Me: "I don't yield to birds."

DMV lady: *Scowls*

I don't get it. She cited condensation on my passenger windows to prove there was too much accumulation on my windshield, and these windows don't have wipers anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

I see your point, but the fact is, more choices are a good thing. You can go to a different pizza place. You can't go to a different DMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They make you in NC retake the driving portion when you go to renew?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

I see your point, but the fact is, more choices are a good thing. You can go to a different pizza place. You can't go to a different DMV.

Yes you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Kevin: I think you failed back at the start, when you did not form a successful working relationship with your tester by stating your need for him to speak in an audible and clear voice, and for communication between you and him to be conducted in a respectful and courteous manner. This would have opened up the possibility of this guy losing it and smearing custard over the walls. Or perhaps he'd have pulled his head in.

The alternative was, "Welcome to my nightmare".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.