The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Shadow and Flame» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Vilya with X rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Horwath

Lakewood
Colorado
msg tools
When you put a card into play with Vilya that has a cost of X, what does that value as because it is for free. You get to play it for no cost. For example, I vilya stand and fight. Can I essentially take any non neutral ally from my discard pile into play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an extremely good question! I would say X=0 because you didn't pay any resources, but we could debate about the answer forever, so I'd say it needs to go on the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
you dont need a FAQ for this. X is 0 so you just put this card on the bottom of you deck cose there is no allies with zero cost for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
you dont need a FAQ for this. X is 0 so you just put this card on the bottom of you deck cose there is no allies with zero cost for now.

You only put the card at the bottom of the deck if it is not possible to play the card. For example if you exhaust in the planning phase and draw Feint (this cannot be used unless it is the combat phase).

If you draw stand and fight it can still be played, its effect takes place, and is then discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
X is 0

Why?

Is there any rule that covers this? I don't think so.

The way I see it, you have to choose X when you play the card.

Otherwise you cannot pay for it, because it is a cost. It has to be there at the time you pay the resources.

How else would you know how many resources you have to pay for the card, if you cannot choose X at the moment when you play the card?

With Vilya you also play the card. How is that different to playing it from your hand? Play is play.

Unless there is a definite FAQ answer about this, I would consider it absolutely possible to play Stand and Fight with Vilya for any amount of X.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also say X is 0.

It will definitely not be whatever you want, if you draw something where X is a number you can choose, such as with Gandalf's search, this does not mean you can choose 100 and look through your whole deck.

Any card where X can be any large number you choose is limited by your resources, but if Vilya can choose any value of X, it would just be ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just can't see how it could work otherwise.

X isn't how much resources you pay for the card, X is the cost of the card. And you do not have to pay that cost.

But yeah, it definitely seems kinda silly with Gandalf's Search.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Travis
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe X could be up to what you are able to pay with your current resource pools. So Stand and Fight would be X is less than or equal to the current number of spirit resources you have available.

This would fix the X = infinity problem but not break all the X cost cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Travis
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though if X=0 I think the card would go to the bottom of the deck, because Vilya says it can be played if able not that it must be played if able. So I would choose to not play the card for x=0 and then I would put it at the bottom of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
"Glaurung2" wrote:
X is 0
Why?

Is there any rule that covers this? I don't think so.
This is almost unbelievable even for FFG, but it does seem that there is no official rule for how X payments actually work. I couldn't find it on the card, in the rulebook, or the FAQ.

In the absence of an official ruling, I'm happy to use the Magic:the Gathering rules as a precedent, since they actually bother to elaborate on this, and they make sense: X = 0 unless you actually spend resources to play the card. With Vilya you are spending 0 resources, so X = 0. Bad luck, and welcome to a downside of "free" cards. In this case, you literally get what you pay for This makes X-cost cards something you have to carefully weigh up when building a Vilya deck.

Thanee wrote:
The way I see it, you have to choose X when you play the card.

Otherwise you cannot pay for it, because it is a cost. It has to be there at the time you pay the resources.

How else would you know how many resources you have to pay for the card, if you cannot choose X at the moment when you play the card?
The cost is X. You don't have to choose X until the moment you pay resources, at which point X gains a definite value. I don't see any issue with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It surely is a reasonable approach.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.