Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks very interesting, but I had a few questions about it that I couldn't answer just by reading reviews and the rules.

1) How much actual player interaction is there? I know you can do stuff whenever your neighbors role the dice, and there is also the markets, but is there anything else? It is hard to tell just how much player interaction there is with the markets. The game has been compared to Acquire, and the interaction in Acquire is a good amount. I just didn't know if it was more or less than that.

2) Are there multiple strategies to win? Diversity if obviously somewhat important, but if you focus on upstream, midstream, or downstream, are they all equally viable strategies?

3) As long as your pieces are spread over your area, is there really any strategy as to were you put them? The more evenly distributed you are, the more consistently you can do something, and clumping them all on a single row or column is obviously going to be feast or famine, but I don't see any strategy in actually putting the pieces in certain spots.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You hit on most of the interaction. Primarily the one shared die of production and market capacity/price is all of the interaction.

2. I believe so....or want to think so. Hope to find out in near future. I think the game allows you to pursue a couple different routes, but I am uncertain how equal those are...sometimes will be up to the vagaries of the dice too...

3. Choice is primarily even distribution or the feast and famine concept. No probabilities to consider as all have equal chance of hitting. I tend to prefer consistency over quantity so I spread my assets to try and hit the maximum range of numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
3. Choice is primarily even distribution or the feast and famine concept. No probabilities to consider as all have equal chance of hitting. I tend to prefer consistency over quantity so I spread my assets to try and hit the maximum range of numbers.

True, except in the case of the oil derricks. Since they need to hit on both dice, placing them on rows where the dice add up to 7 makes it more likely that they hit. That being said, the entire quadrant can be filled with derricks to guarantee a hit (haven't tried this, but i might!).

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
[q="Preacher"]
Quote:
Since they need to hit on both dice, placing them on rows where the dice add up to 7 makes it more likely that they hit.

No, it doesn't. The probability of hitting any particular space on a roll is always 1/36 (assuming fair dice, etc.).

The probability of getting a total of 7 on a roll is 1/6, but that's because there are more ways to get 7 than any other total. Putting derricks on any 6 spaces on the board will do just as well as putting them on the 6 that add up to 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I mention that I am not a statistician? whistle

R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.